Sax on the Web Forum banner

Duos- sax and piano in the jazz domain

6K views 39 replies 23 participants last post by  Just Joe 
#1 ·
i have been listening to some of my favorite duo (sax & piano) jazz albums lately. i know the classical idiom has its own library.

Wayne Shorter/Herbie Hancock "1+1"

Stan Getz/Kenny Baron "People Time"

Joel Frahm/Brad Mehldau "Don't Explain"

Lee Konitz/Stefano Battaglia "Parlami D'Amore Mariu'

Lee Konitz/Michel Petruccini "Toot Sweet"

Lee Konitz/Martial Solal "Star Eyes"

Phil Woods/Jim McNeely "Flowers For Hodges"

Do you have some other favorites of this genre that i should check out? The spectrum of beauty and variation possible with this simple instrumentation, (in the hands of these Grandi Maestri), is truly amazing. And if there are any on this list you have not heard, i suggest that they are all worth the trouble.

See less See more
#2 ·
Lee Konitz and Dan Tepfer "Duos with Lee"

Lee Konitz and Harold Danko "Wild as Springtime" and "Once Upon a Line"

Warne Marsh and Red Mitchell "Big Two" (cheating this is tenor and bass but they do fine without the other 84 strings...)

#6 ·
Jerry Bergonzi and Andy LaVerne's recording "intuition" is fantastic. The title track is a nice ballad with Jerry on soprano (which he doesn't play often enough). I've never cared much for his ballad playing - but that track gives me shivers every time . . .

And though it's not sax and piano, I'd recommend the much over-looked recording of Zoot Sims and Bucky Pizzarelli. It sure has a number of special moments.

#8 ·
i have this one too, and is great. i guess the whole topic of duets: sax/ piano, sax/bass, sax/guitar, sax/? is quite interesting. Something about duos is very nice to listen. i have heard that Dave Holland and Sam Rivers made an album together as a duo. But i have not heard it yet.
Zoot and Joe Pass made a duo album called "Blues for Two". It is one of my all-time favorites

#19 ·
of theses three the only one i have is "Two For Duke" and it very nice. Max Ionata has a sound (tone quality) quite similar to George Garzone. i will look for the other two because Phil Dwyer and George Coleman are two players i really admire.

#24 ·
Alan Broadbent is a great piano player. He is playing at Smalls with a trio 10/3. If you are in the NYC area it is definitely a great show to catch...

The duos with Lee Konitz and Alan Broadbent (Live-Lee, More Live-Lee) are really wonderful too.

#30 ·
Two other duo match-ups:

Frank Morgan and George Cables

Brad Mehldau and Joel Frahm

And off topic: Mitchell-Ruff Duo with Dizzy Gillespie --a trio but still great playing in a "small ball" kind of manner.

Reveals so much about a player to hear them in a duo format. Great topic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.