Sax on the Web Forum banner

1948 & 1968 King Super 20s

4K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  saxphil 
#1 ·
Heres a picture of my 1968 King Super 20 alongside an early 1948 example with full pearls and the Zephyr style neck, anyone else seen one like that before?? quite rare i would think...

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I have a '46 281xxx Zephyr tenor with the cantilevered solid silver neck shown, excepting full pearls.
Looks just like the S20 on the right in your picture.

#9 ·
The 1968 plays with a great edge and keys are fluent, the 1948 has a darker softer tone with a bit of edge, but no where near as strong as the 68. no pearls on the 68. lower key rods placed in a different position and single strap loop on 68, as opposed to the knuckle duster on the 48.

#10 ·
....Thanks for that. Just out of curiosity...have you ever swapped necks ?? (understanding of course that the octave mechs will not operate on each others' bodies). Just curious if the older one would make the newer horn sound mellower/darker, and if the newer neck would make the older one sound edgier....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.