Sax on the Web Forum banner

Early King soprano!

4K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  Michael Ward 
#1 ·
just picked up an early 20s king sop...it is a Beast!

#13 ·
I'm not online so much these days but to follow up, the sop is a straight, early 20s silver-plated Bb horn with metal resonators and no high E or F. Also, it has a big bore.

Yah, you know...many a thread here and a comment online which trashes King sopranos as being intonationally whacked.... to the point of being unplayable in many musical situations.

Yet....

I have refurbed a couple of straight ones...and quite honestly...they were sweeeeeeeet as silk. Intonationally no more variable than a Conn or Buescher of the same period, actually.

I think these are good under-radar sopranos; their reputation being so tarnished.
It plays pretty well (loudly!) but i haven't yet solved the intonation. It's very good but bright when using a plastic high baffle (Runyon?) mpc that i borrowed but a bit wild with the no-name 50s vintage, med chamber, straight sidewalls, hard rubber piece that i got on eBay. So begins the dreaded mpc search... any recommendations?

An interesting feature that i haven't seen before is that the G# tone-hole is not in line in the lower stack but actually on the back side of the horn.

i swore off the beastly little horns :twisted: years ago but lately i've been wanting to hear another sound...

#3 ·
Yah, you know...many a thread here and a comment online which trashes King sopranos as being intonationally whacked.... to the point of being unplayable in many musical situations.

Yet....

I have refurbed a couple of straight ones...and quite honestly...they were sweeeeeeeet as silk. Intonationally no more variable than a Conn or Buescher of the same period, actually.

I think these are good under-radar sopranos; their reputation being so tarnished.

#12 ·
Yeah, both the old Altos and Sopranos get bad press....but even the split-bell Altos I have done up, when keyheights are dialed in & paired with an appropriate mouthpiece, behaved themselves intonationally well.
So even in regards to the Altos, I still feel the rep is undeserved....
I have an early alto Zephyr I restored some years ago for my son. I have to use an old Woodwind Co. mouthpiece with it for intonation to be even manageable.

#8 ·
I would say for pre-VT-II and Zephyrs, The good Kings were in order: Curved sopranos, straight sopranos and then C-melodies. Beyond that, the gold plated altos were pretty but as far as players, not up to the competition. The C sopranos are touted as good but I haven't had one yet to compare.

#15 ·
Joe at soprano planet is a genius at making pieces for these vintage horns.
He made me a missing link for my '27 conn and it has been a revelation.
For less money I find the Selmer S80 pieces work well, that square chamber is fairly large.
I agree the Yamaha pieces are good for the money, I just find them bland.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
If you're in the States, $600-ish plus overhaul would actually get you a very good horn for the money! I own Michael's curvy now - it's hands down my best-sounding soprano and remains one of the best playing horns I've ever tried (and it is considerably more comfortable to hold and play than any of the "better" sopranos - the keywork, while simple, is slick and functional). Intonation is no big deal at all - it's off in some places, but most sopranos are IME, and it isn't bad at all; getting it to play in tune is up to me, which suits me fine since it's quite manageable.

M.

#20 ·
My ONLY soprano for 25+ years was a King from around 1926, and itr was a killer.
When Steve Lacy played my horn, his eyes lit up and when I told him I was after a new horn, he asked about buying mine.

They are VERY lightweight and the sound can almost get trumpet-like: focused, not spread, and alive with partials.

The reputation for having questionable intonation comes from 2 things, imo: the horn has almost NO resistance (very free blowing) and, therefore, is very susceptible to changes in air column; a poor mouthpiece will play right into that as well, and, if set up poorly, play havoc with pitch as well, if the player exerts even a little lower lip pressure.

After I sold my King to a great young player, I got seller's remorse and looked for another one, which I found. But I never went back to playing it and it sat in the case, so off it went to someone else. That was 7 years ago and I haven't ever thought about getting another. But, they can be fabulous horns when set up well.

Viva King sopranos!

#21 ·
Joe do you still have the Saxello?

One of my favourite players Bunk Gardener of the Mothers of Invention played a King soprano.. without the high E or F. I always loved his solo on the album Absolutely Free. I read he played two solos on the track ( Was it America Drinks and Goes Home?) and Frank Zappa chose Bunks least favourite because his guitar solo was better.

I sold the Bruce curved King because I have a saxello and a V1 and it was too many sops. I only like having one horn of each type ideally.

#22 ·
Joe do you still have the Saxello?
Hi Mike- yes, I still have my King Saxello.

Right now, I have the saxello, a Couf Superba 1, a Yani S800, a Selmer III, a Stephanhouser curvy, a Yani 9930, a Stephanhouser straight, and I'm just working on acquiring a Borgani straight and (maybe) a Borgani curvy.

But... I only have one alto, one tenor, one C flute, one alto flute, one sopranino , one clarinet and maybe a dozen pennywhistles.

And probably a few holes in my head as well. :)

#23 ·
Haha... well that's enough sopranos for any man. I have 2 tenors and 2 altos oh and currently 3 flutes and 2 alto flutes.and 1 bassflute..the rest are in the ones.bari, nino ,soprano and sopranino... I do have many maybe over 50 bamboo and wood flutes and end blown Scandinavian flutes plus a full set of Chris Abel whistles and Kung Recorders...My music room is full of percussion, electronic gear and keyboards ..where will it end?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.