Sax on the Web Forum banner

Super 20's are Overrated...

8K views 42 replies 20 participants last post by  hornjunkie 
#1 ·
Blah...Blah...Don't be fooled by all the hype. People should probably avoid these quirky instruments altogether and buy something modern...If you must go vintage get a VI or an old Conn and leave those kings alone....

I would go so far as to say you should unload your S20's while you still can ...especially if you have a nice alto in good cosmetic shape with full pearls or one of those really inferior Silversonics....soon enough folks will realize they're just a step away from an old rusty Bundy II and you may never be able to get rid of it...

As a public service I'd be happy to help you out with your S20 disposal...

I'll even go a step further and trade a really smokin' vintage CHU alto or an almost perfect The Martin Tenor....

Never let it be said I wouldn't go the extra mile for our forum members....

;)

#2 ·
You're a good man, Fader. Take one for the team, etc.

I'll give your offer some more thought as soon as my pain meds kick in.

#17 ·
Hmm, interesting...mine does this as does my Ref 54 (which now looks like its going to be kept as my back up sax) always gotten around it with both by pressing palm D at the same time, will check the octave mech out though now, have to say the King does it to a much lesser degree than the Selmer though, although i can press bottom B on the Selmer to clear it but this for some reason wont work with the King.

#8 ·
Another tenor that is totally over-rated and hyped is the Martin Com III and particularly the ones made in the '40s. The worst of the lot however is the Music Man model. Total trash. Best thing to do is find someone to take these off you hands right away for whatever price you can get and I know just such a person who could be convinced to help you out of the goodness of his heart.

#9 ·
Years from now, there will be a rumor of a landfill brimming with saxophones...

It all started right here.

#14 ·
I've always been wise enough to never buy one, sorry.

#18 ·
I decided to dip my toe in the King pool by purchasing a King Cleveland tenor for >$400. The rebuild is almost done, but I had a vacation scheduled and I won't be able to really take it for a test drive for a month. I'm not sure how to evaluate whether it's performance can support the idea of spending 10x as much for a Super 20. Time (and GAS) will tell. Maybe it would be wise to just try one before buying one. Nah.

Mark

#15 ·
I don't own a s20 tenor, just some late' 40's-early '50's Zephyr tenors.
I would be happy to dispose of your s20 for you.

#40 ·
And an alto, at that! Did you fall on your head? I hope you come to your senses soon.

Get better!

P.S. If you start thinking about getting a bari, please call and I'll arrange a friendly intervention.

#39 ·
Dang it. Just checked the expiration date on my S20 and low behold it is expired. I was wondering why the sour notes. Guess I might have to take up the kindness of the OP and rid myself of this thing.

sent on the move...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.