Sax on the Web Forum banner

Anyone using a top_eseller chinese metal mouthpiece?

4K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  artstove 
#1 ·
I've read very good reviews of ebay's "top_eseller" horns. Just wondering if his < $50 metal tenor sax mouthpieces are worthy of the same accolades.

An upgraded tenor sax mouthpiece is the next item on my list of essential gear and I'm considering one of his vs the same cost for a Yamaha 4C tenor or Selmer 7713:

Test tube Light Liquid Fluid Amber

Automotive lighting Lipstick Microphone Office supplies Cosmetics

See less See more
#3 ·
Ebay reviews are often written by the people themselves or by people who have no experience about what they so enthusiastically bought.

Despite some folks having reported good experiences with some of these mouthpieces, I wouldn’t, personally bother.

A mouthpiece is the basic equipment to form your sound,not just a piece of metal.

#4 ·
I have a >cheap Chinese mouthpiece tip 10< that I could playtest before buying (I took it over from a friend) and it doesn't play bad at all, but the change on a bad one is high (my friend ordered a 12 and that one was crap)! I don't use mine because I've much better mouthpieces. I personally wouldn't take the risk and save my money for a good piece.

#6 ·
I'm sure this is a noob perception but isn't it basically a piece of shaped metal with no moving parts?

Provided that the mold is a near exact replica to an existing popular mouthpiece, shouldn't it produce similar or near exact sound characteristics to the more expensive mouthpiece, all other things being equal (ie, table, facing and rails)?

#7 ·
I'm sure this is a noob perception but isn't it basically a piece of shaped metal with no moving parts?

Provided that the mold is a near exact replica to an existing popular mouthpiece, shouldn't it produce similar or near exact sound characteristics to the more expensive mouthpiece, all other things being equal?
No, because even if it is a near replica as you say, the quality of replication is often low, meaning that the table, facing, and rails may not be even and can reduce playability. Not all mouthpieces are created equal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I've read very good reviews of ebay's "top_eseller" horns. Just wondering if his < $50 metal tenor sax mouthpieces are worthy of the same accolades.
"It's the best piece I've ever played!"

Disclaimer: I'm 11 years old, have been playing 7 months, and my other mouthpiece is a doorstop that I carved myself.

#15 ·
While the mouthpiece itself has no moving parts, the critical sound-producing moving part (the reed) is attached to it, making it essentially one thing. So just as an axle shaft may not rotate (the wheel mounted on it does), that doesn't mean that you don't care what shape the axle shaft is (round would be good, square would be bad). I have had mouthpieces that were almost impossible to blow, and others whose sound I just did not like; there is a difference between good and bad mouthpieces.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.