Sax on the Web Forum banner

New mouthpieces with personalized acoustics

5K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  IBeOmega 
#1 ·
Hi,

I'm a french researcher working on the acoustics of musical instruments. I'm developing a new range of saxophone mouthpieces with a groundbreaking acoustics. The goal of this project is to finally achieve the personalization of each mouthpiece: each mouthpiece will be unique.
Could you help me by filling out this short form that will allow me to target each individual's needs?
https://syos.typeform.com/to/SKm3qU

Thanks a lot

#11 ·
".................Each mouthpiece will be unique "........I anticipate lots of to and fro post between the maker an their customers!

Bespoke mouthpieces are not a new concept, that is what refacers do or claim they do.

Despite this tailoring of the mouthpieces done by these people lots and lots of them end up being sold on.

It could be that a company can provide a tailor made service, which, yes, is or might be of a different nature but , I think, the fly in the ointment is the fact that players, even VERY experienced ones, don’t always know what they want and get easily excited with something new........... and then after a while they are no longer so excited about it.

And now they are in the possession of a bespoke mouthpiece that they don’t-really-like-so-much, tailor made for them and their special taste (this is the most important selling point isn’t it?) which NOW needs to be sold on to someone else........making the whole bespoke thing be completely useless, since the second owner will have to adapt himself to something that wasn’t meant for him in the first place.

Anyway. Good luck.

I have taken part to the survey but didn’t give my address, I am all set up and need to look no further.

#14 ·
I took the survey, but I did not put up my email. I would have to ask how much it costs, therefore chances are I can't afford it, and I also agree with milandro's points.
Good luck to the company and its customers all the same.

#15 ·
I didn't give my email, but did the survey. Time will tell.

#16 ·
Perhaps one should come up with a mouthpiece that the player can make changes to, rather than the player trying to use all these "buzz" words (that have different meanings to different people) to describe it to the person reworking the mouthpiece.

Maybe a pliable baffle and throat that never truly hardens?

#19 ·
I've tried that, once or twice anyway, with most unsatisfactory results.

I think that for most of us, the most effective way to get the sound we want is to get one of the many, many mouthpieces that are reasonably suited to it, and then learn to play it well.

#20 ·
People have been customizing hand made mouthpieces for years for players.
Aside from a lack of responsiveness to this this thread I see nothing new here other than a scam to gather emails.

Smells like a phishing scam to me and little to do with esteemed levels of acoustics.

Just another joke to part players with hard earned dollars.

#21 ·
People have been customizing hand made mouthpieces for years for players.
Aside from a lack of responsiveness to this this thread I see nothing new here other than a scam to gather emails.

Smells like a phishing scam to me and little to do with esteemed levels of acoustics.
Yepper, a phisher gets your IP when you go to their site - they don't need your e-mail address. Watch for viral attacks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.