Sax on the Web Forum banner

Me playing Dark Eyes on the street! (and a question about a saxophone)

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Kenneth 
#1 ·
Hope you like it!

Don't hate me, but I got another saxophone given to me... This time it's an Orpheum alto sax with an extra key for trilling G and G#. Do you know anything about it?

Thanks!

Danny

#2 ·
Nice playing! Very enjoyable.

Having said this, the question of who made your Orpheum alto is a more complex one and one that cannot be answered only by your account of this saxophone but needs pictures and even then there are many mysteries around these brand.

Orpheum , as the name applied to vintage saxophones and not the newer ones, refers to stenciled saxophones, often made in Italy by, in my opinion, at least two different brands one is Alfonso Rampone and the other one could be Alfredo Santoni. THESE normally have “ Made in Italy” on them somewhere.

There are also Orpheum made in East-Germany or Bohemia.

If your horn has a G# trill, it might be a German or Bohemian horn.

#3 ·
+1, regarding your great playing, and Milandro's 'Orpheum' research progress. Hang onto your guitar player; that Bob Wilber / Kenny Davern // Bucky Pizarelli / Marty Grosz sound that you guys get together is fantastic ! (eg. )
If your 'Orpheum' has rolled tone holes and looks like the Kohlert/Amati ones pictured in links from the following thread, then I would agree with yours being made in East-German or Bohemia ('Telecaster' and 'Orpheum' were alternative stencil engravings from the same maker):- http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?69563-Telecaster-Alto

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.