Sax on the Web Forum banner

What's in your mouthpiece drawer (tenor)?

11K views 54 replies 38 participants last post by  30Mtenor 
#1 ·
For whatever reason, I've let tenor mouthpieces accumulate again. We tenor players are truly blessed (or maybe damned?) with so many options these days.

It seems like just a few years ago, I was down to three mouthpieces. Then I opined that it was prudent to have backups for each. I've fallen. I do enjoy trying other mouthpieces, and consider myself pretty good about selling the ones that don't keep my attention.

The good news (to me) is that I know there are many of you with a far greater accumulation of tenor pieces.

These are the tenor mouthpieces that I can't give up or loan out (with precious few exceptions to especially close friends):

Fred Lamberson J7
Fred Lamberson J115
Fred Lamberson L7
Ralph Morgan 3C, refaced by Ed Zentera to .088
Ralph Morgan 6C
James Houlik (2)
Benjamin Allen 10E
Benjamin Allen "Tony Dagradi Signature"

What's in your drawer? :twisted:

See less See more
#5 ·
You got the Dagradi already!
Oh, yes... :mrgreen:

No metal?

Just have my magical FocusTone and a vintage Lakey that I picked up cheap here (because I use them on alto).
Probably end up taking a file to it...
My FocusTone STD 108 found its way to a more appreciative home. Lakey... I played a 6*3 on a Balanced Action tenor for a while - seems a lifetime ago.

#3 ·
:

Fred Lamberson J7
Fred Lamberson J115
Fred Lamberson L7
Ralph Morgan 3C, refaced by Ed Zentera to .088
Ralph Morgan 6C
James Houlik (2)
Benjamin Allen 10E
Benjamin Allen "Tony Dagradi Signature"

What's in your drawer? :twisted:
No metal?

Just have my magical FocusTone and a vintage Lakey that I picked up cheap here (because I use them on alto).
Probably end up taking a file to it...

#4 ·
Not to exciting here - I'm down to 3, just play the Drake, gets the sound I want and feels good. Tired of blowing money and messing with them.

Drake Bergonzi 8*
Mouthpiece Cafe Slant 8 R
Mouthpiece Cafe Slant 7* original resin opened to 8 by Brian Powell

#6 ·
Along with the list of mouthpieces please don't forget to post your address, the hours nobody is home, and the code to your alarm system.

Thank You

GAS BUSTERS
Eliminating Rogue Mouthpieces Since 1999

#8 ·
For whatever reason, I've let tenor mouthpieces accumulate again. We tenor players are truly blessed (or maybe damned?) with so many options these days.
Back from remission, I see. Aww Doc, you were doing so good when you were down to 3.

Anyways, I have three at the moment:

Otto Link Vintage Series Slant 7 reworked by Matthew Voss
Aaron Drake Contemporary 8
Philtone Equinox 7*

I'll probably sell the Equinox, it's a nice piece...I just don't feel it's different enough from my Link to keep it. So if you're interested, Doc. :twisted:

#10 ·
Careful, you're getting dreadfully close to none! :twisted:

P.S. Whew, dat be da cleanest lookin' Couf (other thread) I've seen since my Superba I was new! Sweet!

#9 ·
I've been trying to reduce my collection but still have quite a few:

Florida Slant Link 6*, Eric Drake cleaned up the facing
Brilhart HR 7* Bunte reface
MacSax Bob Sheppard 8
Morgan Excalibur 8
Barone SNY 7*
Dukoff Hollywood 6*
STM 1980's 7*

I play the Slant and SNY most often. The Brilhart and Sheppard are the newest additions.

I keep the Morgan because I like having something created by Ralph, a legend in the mouthpiece world.

#15 ·
I'd love to go practice, but my back has been in spasm for the last couple weeks and I'm happy just to be able to walk. Thanks for caring.

I wish I could know how you feel about every other thread at SotW. It would be fascinating.

#16 ·
This is so embarrassing..... including what's in the case....and my excuse is: if one of the grandkids plays sax, they'll have a nice selection..... :)

Philtone Mosaic 7*
Philtone Equinox 7*
Barone Jazz 9*
Barone HR
Runyon Jaguar 9*
Link stm (Ed Zentera) 9*
Master Link 4
Thomas Woodwinds 9
Lakey jazz 6*3
Drake 7*
CE winds legend 8*
Berg metal 100/0
Berg HR 115/0
Martin HR
Scroll shank C*
Brilhart Ebolin
various and assorted Runyon pieces....

The Mosaic, Jaguar and Barone Jazz are in the case....

G, hope the back gets better, it's really difficult to do anything when that's going on....

#24 ·
i read that they had gone missing but didn't realize that they had been kidnapped and kept in a drawer to make mouthpieces for some fanatic. I hope you feed them every now and then and give them oil to sooth the skin under the leg irons.

#27 ·
The prince is: an old Broadus

Then...an old white plastic Revere, France, with brown script (which is actually, all in all, the best all-around mouthpiece I own)

Contemporary Meyer 6

old serialed Brilhart Ebolin

old rubber Link, which I really never use but keep, well... because....

old Vandoren...ditto above....

and...my favorite cheapie: a plastic Hite Premiere

Only the last one was purchased, all others came in with fixer horns....

#28 ·
Back reading my post, somewhat rude but meant in the spirit of eliiminating GAS and concentrating on Playing and not counting mouthpieces in a drawer. Chalk it up to too much coffee and not enough sleep..My apologies and sorry to hear about your medical problems.

#29 ·
I appreciate that, Cash. I have no excuse for my snippy reply - old enough to know better.

All the best to you and yours. I was out in the sun, dust, and wind today, and complaining about it. It must be a way of life in Las Vegas. Whew...

#32 ·
Most have come with horns I've bought and sold, some were given to me....some I've tried and kept....and quite a few I got for students....which is likely where several in my drawer will end up....

#42 ·
10mfan hard rubber Robusto 8 (my main piece)

Theo Wanne metal Ambika 7*

Phil-Tone Equinox

Selmer S80 C*

And a decent no-name piece that came with the horn.

I'll definitely be looking to move at least one of these in the near future...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MAN..you've got the latest Big 3 highly touted and adored by thousands greatest-thing-since-sliced-bread designer mouthpieces,I'm quite surprised you're not in tenor nirvana by now..actually I think a C* ain't bad either for a no-good stock 'piece.The fifth one I never heard of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.