Sax on the Web Forum banner

King Super 20 tenor key heights?

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  ParrotTheLegends 
#1 ·
Does anyone know the exact key heights ideal for a Super 20 tenor, and where/how to measure said key heights?

The reason I ask is that I recently tried a friend's Silversonic, fresh from Ebay. It was substantially louder than my S20, even though it had a few leaks (my horn definitely has none). I noticed that the main difference was the key heights, so I had my tech raise the key heights on my S20. It now plays quite a bit louder (and somewhat more responsively) than it did previously, but not quite as loudly as my friend's Silversonic--even though it responds better due to the lack of leaks. Both horns play quite in tune using my 7* New Vintage Slant with RJS 3M/3H reeds.

So I wonder if the key heights could be set a bit higher still, for even more power? At the same time, I don't want to sacrifice intonation; I imagine intonation/response starts to suffer once the keys are raised too high. If one of you techs out there could give me exact measurements I could give to my tech, that would be greatly appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.