Sax on the Web Forum banner

Just picked up a S20 tenor...

6K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  rivera 
#1 ·
A 323xxx, Cleveland S20 tenor w/full pearls for... $600

It needs pads and corks, but the body is in pretty good shape. Original case still has the "How to care for your instrument" guide.

How did I do? ;)

#8 ·
How well you did depends on how well it plays. When I bought my S20 it needed some attention (i.e. overhaul). But it played better than the previous 3 tenors that I had bought new. But dang I payed more than $600 foe it.

sent on the move...

#19 ·

It needs pads and corks, but the body is in pretty good shape. Original case still has the "How to care for your instrument" guide.

How did I do? ;)
Sounds like you did better than me. My S20 was just stolen. Serial number 323xxx, Cleveland S20 tenor w/full pearls.
It needed pads and corks, but the body was in pretty good shape. It had the original case and still had the "How to care for your instrument" guide. Probably ended up in some pawnshop for $600. Anybody seen it?

Mark

#22 ·
I wonder as you bought it from a pawn shop, did you try to beat them down any? or did you just pay the asking price whilst trying to look unflustered before getting out of there as quick as you could? We have a pawn chain over here called cash-converters, i've never seen any decent sax's in the local one but still enjoy hoping to find that ex Coltrane SBA for a couple of hundred one day, haha. If your new sax is half as good as the Eastlake S 20 i recently bought, which it should be, you'll have one hell of a player there.

#25 ·
That was sadly my first thought Grumps. $600 for a King Super 20 in a pawnshop? Just check the serial number with the police and they will tell you if it is registered as stolen. If it is, you lost $600 but kept your karma clean (the pro player it was invariably stolen from may even cover your costs, hell i would). If it comes back as clean, your karma is clean too and you got a bargain...

#27 ·
Yeah, buddy's probably blowing his arse off and has forgotten us all.

Good go buddy!

#28 ·
I haven't found a deal in a pawn shop or antique store in many years. The last time I did well was in 1998. I was in Billings Montana on tour and I stumbled into an antique shop. Hanging from the ceiling was an old Buescher True Tone alto in terrible shape. It clearly needed a full overhaul and a pile of dent-work and re-soldering just to make it playable. There was a mouthpiece on the horn and I was curious about it. The sales clerk took down the horn and I noticed that the mouthpiece was a NY Meyer Bros #4m. I asked if I could buy the mouthpiece but they said they "didn't want to break up the set". I explained that the mouthpiece was an aftermarket product and so forth, but it all fell upon deaf ears - I had to buy the horn to get the mouthpiece. They were asking $150 for the horn which needed a $600 overhaul for it to be then worth about $500. The mouthpiece, however, was worth about $400 - $500 in those days. So, I talked the guy down to an even $100, removed the mouthpiece from the horn and put it in my pocket. I thanked the clerk for the deal, left the horn on the counter and split. The clerk came running after me, insisting that I take the horn, but I told him that I was only interested in the mouthpiece and that he should put the horn back up on display. For some reason, this made the salesman angry and he began screaming at me.

Anyway, that was the last good deal. I didn't even sell the mouthpiece, I just traded it for a bunch of old Brilharts.

#29 ·
down here there isnt any pawn shop, they're usually antique shops located in the touristic part of the city, so everything is quite expensive.
i went last week to ask for one saxophone i saw on display, a conn 21m $1000 not quite a deal but they will probably have it for years until they can sell it.
one student of my teacher found a silver plated SML with rth for peanuts, but that was a few years ago, im still hoping to find a little treasure one day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.