Sax on the Web Forum banner

Unusual Super 20 on eBay

6K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  GingerSax 
#1 ·
I came across this Super 20 on eBay-

http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Super-...358?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233f461ad6

The seller claims "18k gold custom brushed satin finish". It does not look like gold plate in my opinion. It looks more like brushed brass, and every piece of the horn has the exact same finish. What do you think?

"All the original engraving including a sexy woman in masquerade/burlesque" This is clearly added, and looks poorly done.

Wouldn't this horn have a silver neck? It's an early full pearl S20.

#4 ·
The pic of the octave key/thumbrest sorta leads one to the conclusion that this was refinished. Look at the marks to the lower left of the thumbrest on that photo.

It's pretty, and perhaps with 2 hours of work from a light-handed tech who is very good with a mechanical buffer it can be taken up to a very nice level....but I am a bit concerned to think of how high this auction might go due to the seller's current description.

#11 ·
I

"All the original engraving including a sexy woman in masquerade/burlesque" This is clearly added, and looks poorly done.
Absolutely second rate additional engraving. Like a tattoo you have done at a 3rd rate tattoo parlour and spend the next 10 years looking for a way to have it removed. Sexy, my a**

#19 ·
I agree with you, actually. I didn't notice the stripper pics initially...it was the general scratchiness of the body finish which was offensive to me.

IMHO, I have nothing against a person adding add'l engraving to their own instrument. But just like Tattoos....some level-headedness and thought-out consideration is always nice....

#27 ·
I love how the auction is updated with: "i mention that it is original and by that i meant that it was originally sent to me that way."
So apparently it's okay to list on ebay saying things like "original lacquer and pads", indicating that it was originally that way when you bought it to flip 6 months ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.