Antigua Winds
AW Reeds

Default Oklahoma Sax Players

I haven't seen many Sax players from Oklahoma on here, so here I go. I am a Bari/Tenor player from Skiatook OK. I'm graduating this year, and will probably go to NSU majoring in Instrumental Music. Anyone else out there?

Default Okie Dokie

I'm a saxman from Oklahoma, but currently in Southwest Asia. I live in Midwest City, went to HS in McLoud, & Yes, Steve Tipton was my fresh-out of-college-band director when I was an 8th grader in 1976. I suppose if you're from Skiatook, you've met up with McLoud a time or 2. My Army boss is an ROTC instructor at NSU, when we're not having that war thing. Keep it up, have fun, & just play 'cause it's fun!!

Rick Estorga

Default OK players

Hi guys,

I was born in Enid, into an Air Force family. I've been wandering this country and others for many years. I've played and taught all over the U.S., South Africa & Australia. Keep playing and best wishes!

DC

Woah, what a coincidence that a thread like this started lol-

My name (as you can see by my screen name), is Eric. I live in Norman Oklahoma, where I just graduated from Norman High School. I'll be going to Oklahoma University and studying Music Education. I've tried to make music my life, I currently play every woodwind instrument (except I really suck at oboe in comparison..), I've also dabbled with trumpet, baritone (basically the same thing), and trombone. I was the band president, was in music classes for 7 of the 8 total classes of my senior year, was in the Band, Orchestra, Jazz Band, aided and conducted in the freshman band and orchestra, was 1st chair Bari in the CODA Wind Ensemble, 1st chair Bari in the All-State Jazz Band, and 1st chair tenor in the CODA Symphonic Band. I'm in several bands, including Third Grade Scuffle (the acronym is in my name, Eric_TGS), www.thirdgradescuffle.com , currently in my 4th musical as the solo saxophonist, and I'll be going to an International Honors Jazz Band in Europe in about um... 3 weeks.
    And I like Code Red Mountain Dew
    I've actually been reading this site for months but barely ever post, wanna take this time to thank all the extremely intelligent people who post here, it's really helped out!

This is cool!!!
    not that many okie players yet!!
    I'm living in Oklahoma City right now just graduated from Oklahoma State (go pokes!!!) I've played sax since 6th grade and now it's a frequent hobby. I also play soprano sax, clarinet, and trumpet. I'm working on flute!!! OH my name is Antaiwan

Is Kansas close enough?
    Stephanie

update... I'm in Tulsa, OK. Anyone else from the OK area?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by DC
    Hi guys,

I was born in Enid, into an Air Force family. I've been wandering this country and others for many years. I've played and taught all over the U.S., South Africa & Australia. Keep playing and best wishes!

DC
    I just moved from Enid (was stationed at Vance AFB for over 7 years) now I am at FE Warren AFB in Cheyenne WY. Enid is a GREAT town and I will retire there in about 8 more years of Service (12 years currently USAF)
    Aaron

If you want what the crazy Philippians got, then you need to do what the crazy Philippians did!

Saxophone.com Black Nickel and Gold Alto
    Saxophone.com Black Nickel and Gold Soprano
    1953 Martin Tenor

Thumbs up

sorry double posted
    Aaron

If you want what the crazy Philippians got, then you need to do what the crazy Philippians did!

Saxophone.com Black Nickel and Gold Alto
    Saxophone.com Black Nickel and Gold Soprano
    1953 Martin Tenor

Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire Helen's Avatar

I'm not from Oklahoma, but my bass saxophone is. It started its life in the 1920s at the University of Oklahoma. After moving to Louisiana, it moved to Canada in 2000.
    One day the bass saxophone will make a comeback, and rule the earth
    Bassic Sax (The website) Just Your Bassic Blog (The weblog: part of the website, but updated daily) Bassic Sax Pix (Lots of pretty sax photos)

Just moved to Broken Arrow this summer. Any tips on the area appreciated.
    Phil Brewer aka tophatsax
    phil_brewer "at" hotmail "dot" com

Forum Contributor 2010
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by akira329
    This is cool!!!
    not that many okie players yet!!
    I'm living in Oklahoma City right now just graduated from Oklahoma State (go pokes!!!) I've played sax since 6th grade and now it's a frequent hobby. I also play soprano sax, clarinet, and trumpet. I'm working on flute!!! OH my name is Antaiwan
    Hi Stillwater. I'm not from OK, nor do I live there now, but I lived in Stillwater from 1980-1984 and played around that area a lot. Used to play with a band called The Skinner Brothers (after I left they were Garth Brooks's backup band before he was Garth Brooks; when he got the call from Nashville he dropped them pretty quick). I had never played western swing before I was there: great music for sax, and most other instruments! Also played jazz and blues around those parts. Interesting place. Eldon Shamblin still lived nearby and gave lessons; there were 7 or 8 guitarists around who had studied seriously with that genius. There were in fact a lot of good musicians around that town in those days. I hope that's still true.

Forum Contributor 2008 saxxsymbol's Avatar

Ilive in florida but spent many years in midwest city and on tinker afb. went to school in MWC from 2nd - 7 th grade, then 9th and 10th at carl albert h. s. Maynard came and did a benefit concert and clinic for our high school in 1976.started the sax at cleveland bailey elementary in MWC.
    Go Sooners !!!
    I am proud to be a Saxgourmet Endorsing Artist !

My set ups:
    Saxgourmet Super 400 tenor, Jody Jazz DV 7
    Saxgourmet Super 400 alto, Jody Jazz DV 7
    Steve Goodson Model SP Bari, Jody Jazz Classic 7
    Fibracell reeds

myspace.com/groovusband
    youtube.com/saxmanchuck

"The worst thing in the world for a musician is to get an opportunity you are not prepared for."