Sax on the Web Forum banner

Bought a 1920's Cleveland Bari (only goes up to high Eb)

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Stocker 
#1 ·
Hello,

I was checking out Lee's Sax Worx in San Fransisco today and it is a cool shop. While there, I played a straight tenor, a Rampone Cazzani saxello, and a gold plated Buescher Alto. I ended up coming home with a Cleveland Bari. Its case is beyond trashed. Just don't ask about the case. Well, go ahead actually, but I'm not going to tell you about in this post. The horn only goes up to high Eb and down to low Bb. I bought it because it has an absolute godly sound. The neck doesn't come off the horn. It is all one piece. And the top of it curves right instead of left. It is weird.

Any recommendations for "altissimo" fingerings for high F and E?

Any mouthpiece or case recommendations?

Any similar experiences?

Thank you

#2 ·
Is the current case similar to the 'modern' coffin type case, or rectangular? I'd like to see it and how a horn without a detachable neck fits into it. Otherwise I would suggest a ProTec 'soft sided' case. My low Bb Buescher fits really well in mine.
As for a mouthpeice.... BIG chambered pieces usually work best and keep intonation problems to a minimum. You might try a Rousseau 5R or similar to see how it tunes and go from there.
If you can find an expanded fingering chart with alternate fingerings you shouldn't have a problem learning the 'new' way to play these notes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.