Sax on the Web Forum banner

Backup tenor for a King Silversonic player?

6K views 24 replies 17 participants last post by  Oric Muso 
#1 ·
So… I am a dedicated King player. My 5 digit MKVI went into the closet after playing a Silversonic, and didn't see much action from that point forward.

My King arsenal includes Tenor, Alto, and Silver King Clarinet. My main bari is a Conn 12M, but I doubt anyone would fault me for that. My main tenor is a great Silversonic (double socket, gold leaf 375,xxx).

I like to have 2 horns of each voice (tenor, alto, bari) both for variety, and also as a safety net in case something needs to go to the shop.

I had to sell my backup tenors (5 digit MKVI, single socket Cleveland Silversonic w/no gold leaf) over the last four years in order to pay for a second bachelor's and master's degrees, but now that I am out of school, and playing out a lot more, I have been debating about what to do about the backup tenor.

I have a Yanagisawa 9930 alto, and 880 bari that I like a lot. They play well, and more easily in tune than my vintage King and Conn. I like having a vintage axe that sounds amazing, but also having a modern horn with great intonation and action, as some gigs/studio sessions call for different approaches. Unfortunately, I haven't played a Yanagisawa, or Yamaha tenor that has really impressed me. Modern Selmers haven't really grabbed my attention, and the Taiwanese stuff sounds great for the first five minutes and then I start to notice the absence of core and character in the sound and I start to feel dirty.

This long preamble leads up to the question:

I'd like to get a good backup tenor. I enjoy "free blowing" and big sounding horns, but I would like to find something that will have better baseline intonation, and a different tonal profile than my Silversonic. I am looking to spend as little as possible (it is a backup horn, after all), but might be willing to go as high as $5,000 for something that was as awesome as my King. I don't live in an area where I am likely to be able to play test any horns, so it will most likely be an internet gamble. So, SOTW, what would you do in my position?

I've been looking pretty seriously into the Buescher TH&C, Buffet S1, Conn 10 or 30M, certain Martins sound interesting, and then there's always finding another MKVI, or even a brass bell Super 20 or Zephyr Special. Unfortunately, I have never had the opportunity to play any of these tenors. World Wide Sax has this chart, but I would be curious to hear King players' comments on how these horns compare to Kings.

http://www.worldwidesax.com/saxophone_comparison_chart.htm

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#3 ·
I was going to suggest Martin tenors as well. I've been playing a Silversonic tenor as my main ax for years now and not too long ago sold my cherry silver plated 10M. Quite frankly, a 10M is rather clunky compared to the slick action of a King and can have certain quirks that make setting it up more of a challenge. I found myself grabbing the King more and more often for gigs, leaving the 10M on the shelf, and decided the 10M was expendable for lack of use. For back-up I keep an old Martin Handcraft stencil tenor. I do like the Committee horns, but as I have rather large hands, their keywork is somewhat cramped for me. As for something modern, a Series III Selmer might be worth checking out if you haven't tried one already; the older the better.

#4 ·
I can't disagree with advising a Martin tenor but I think the TH&C should be given serious consideration.

Paul Lindemeyer has a nice tenor that is reasonably priced because the snap in spuds were removed.

Of course, you can't count out a 10m although the ergos are rather different than the King.

#6 ·
The TH&C and the King are very similar tonally. That was my experience doing an A/B with a SS and a TH&C where both were in pretty original condition (Snaps still on the Buescher). I found that the Buescher's intonation is better, but you'll notice it sounds a bit more "present" -- seems like you hear it better. The King sounded the same tonally, but it felt a little more distant in the source of the sound. Not really any louder, just closer. If you're not used to that "in-your-face" presence, it may put you off. Action is similar as well.

Sounds weird, eh, but that was what I noticed when I A/B'd them.

Also, they look a whole lot a like. :)

#9 ·
No tenors. The last time I tried a Keilwerth- around 15 years ago, I borrowed a top of the line professional model alto from the music store I worked at for a studio session. It was so difficult to play in tune that I pulled out the Martin Indiana I restored myself from a yard sale and finished the gig in one take. However, I find that I love Japanese Altos and Baris, but not tenors, so perhaps I would enjoy a German tenor while hating the altos?

Excellent suggestion! Any particular model to try?

#12 ·
This may be obvious, but an SML tenor has a big sound and is indeed quite free blowing but has a bit of the refined, French thing also. In other words, the SML rev C, D or GM is like a cross between a Conn 10m and a Selmer Paris. Also, and SML stencil like a King Marigaux, can be had at a reasonable cost. These horns are built like tanks and will hold up better than a Super 20 on the road.

Here's one now. http://www.ebay.com/itm/King-Mariga...378?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d216bbbea

#18 ·
The 299xxx Zephyr tenor is over priced by about $1500.
Dealer markup is very high.

#20 ·
Agree on the Eastlakes, especially the earlier ones <500,000 serial number. I have a 433,xxx Silversonic that's very free blowing and more mouthpiece friendly than my Clevelands. They're still a great value at about 25% 40% less than the Clevelands.
I agree. Why get anything else, aside from that you may find that your all brass Super 20 plays just as well if not better.

#17 ·
Agree on the Eastlakes, especially the earlier ones <500,000 serial number. I have a 433,xxx Silversonic that's very free blowing and more mouthpiece friendly than my Clevelands. They're still a great value at about 25% 40% less than the Clevelands.

#19 ·
Thanks for the kind words Dr. G. It's my personal take that a well set-up Zephyr Tenor is as close as you are going to get to a Super 20 at about half the price. Happy Hunting!

#25 ·
For better intonation I'd look to something newer rather than older. Many of the Taiwan built horns are very good and affordable. I had an LC alto that had very good intonation. I would try one of their tenors. http://www.lcsax.com/tenor-saxophone/T-601.html
Similarly you could get a Yamaha 62 or try the new Yanagisawa.

If you want vintage that is different to a King then a Buffet Super Dynaction or S1 might be a bit too similar. I would go for Conn or Martin. Conns have the old fashioned keywork which can be a problem for some. Martins have it too but feel better to me under the fingers.

As a compromise you might try the Trevor James Raw which has modern keywork and a dark sound. It's quite different to a King though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.