Sax on the Web Forum banner

Dream of playing in the pit on Broadway?

5K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  qwerty 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I don't get it. If I were called in to be a sub, I'd be so excited and thrilled, I'd have no nerves at all. I'd be on my best game and determined to blow like crazy and get every note perfect. Just being there would be proof enough to me that I am good enough to do it.

#5 ·
The music is only the start. The real hard part is that you have to continue that high level of consistency for 8 shows a week.

#6 ·
I subbed reeds on Tarzan briefly before it closed. For me, it took an incredible amount of concentration and was mentally exhausting, but it was totally worth the work. I found out the day before, and my mom and sister bought tickets that day. I'll admit that it was comforting to know they were in the audience.

#7 ·
About 15 years ago, I had occasion to play a few gigs with the strongest NYC woodwind doubler I have ever met. This guy was crazy good on EVERY version of all 5 woodwind instruments, from piccolo to contrabasson. He spent his days either playing in a show, rehearsing, practicing or making reeds.

He refused to take a show, instead, he found it much more interesting to sub a different show every night of the week. One night, reed one in LesMis, the next night reed 4 in West Side Story, etc. And he sight read like a son of a gun.

He told me that every night, he'd have to make one or two well placed mistakes on purpose. The reason? If the MD was overly impressed with his playing, that MD would tell the full time guy how much better the sub was. Often, after nailing a book, this guy wouldn't get asked back. He finally figured out why.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.