Sax on the Web Forum banner

HELP: Pink Panther

8K views 51 replies 16 participants last post by  kingsax 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am having problems with a small part of Pink Panther.

Was wondering if someone would be kind enough to help me with it.

A short video or recording of that specific part with explanation would be appreciated.

#9 ·
Okay, I got it! You'll need a MK VI tenor with no high F#, a 160/1 steel Berg and a #1 1/2 Rico Plasticover baritone sax reed. Naturally, you still won't sound just like Plas Johnson but at least you can brag on having his set-up.

#16 ·
Download a copy of the free musecore software, enter the problematic section and give it a listen. Play with tempo to you heart's content.

But as others have said, gotta know couple more details about what the issues are.

BTW, you're a good sport for letting me bust your chops just a little!

#22 ·
It appears to be total rubbish. The melody is in G minor, but the music has no key signature and the chords seem to be in F# minor.
Pete, you're referring to the chart that JayKay posted, right? If so, yeah, the chords appear to be rubbish. The melody on there is G minor, and the first chord should be G minor (next chord should be Eb7 I believe--not A7). But the melody itself appears to be correct.

I've always played this tune in E minor (F#m on tenor), but I've never read it off a lead sheet. I just copied the Plas Johnson version off the recording.

I'm not sure what's on that chart Bedde posted...

#23 ·
Could it be for three altos and a tenor? Is the top alto part a written out , simplified and shortened version of the solo break? It looks to me like the end of the page is modulating back to concert g minor?

#25 ·
To all who have replied thus far - if you read the original post, it is quite clear that the OP's request is for someone to RECORD the section in question and post it back to this thread, ostensibly, in order for them to hear it. That is part of the reason I brought up the free software that would allow the OP to key in the (at the time unknown) problem and play back to hear the notes and rhythm. Using musescore, OP could speed up or slow down the tempo, whichever and whenever, to HEAR what those bars are supposed to sound like.

I'm still not sure what explanation is expected because the whole tune is swung with dotted eighths and sixteenth notes. Then, it's just a matter of timing to bring all the parts together, imho... (of course, musescore can facilitate all four parts in order to get an aural understanding of the entire score from measure 42 on, as well.)

I'm aware that there are other software apps that could do this just as well, musescore just happens to be the one I use and best of all, it's FREE!

#26 ·
To all who have replied thus far - if you read the original post, it is quite clear that the OP's request is for someone to RECORD the section in question and post it back to this thread, ostensibly, in order for them to hear it.
That wasn't clear at all to me. I assumed it was a request for a link to a recording, but without knowing what the specific problem is we still cannot give any very useful help.

That is part of the reason I brought up the free software that would allow the OP to key in the (at the time unknown) problem and play back to hear the notes and rhythm. Using musescore, OP could speed up or slow down the tempo, whichever and whenever, to HEAR what those bars are supposed to sound like.
Yes, in many cases this is very useful advice.

However people are often misled by MIDI playback of sheet music unless they understand quantising. Would the dotted notes be interpreted exactly as dotted, or are they a "shortcut" method to notate what should be a triplet feel, which is quite common.

#27 ·
Hey guys,

Sorry for the bad quality of the attachment.

The digital quality of the music sheets I got was also not so great.
I have tried to enhance the quality of every page (4 in total) in Photoshop.
But the size per page is more than 3MB, and had trouble attaching these 3+MB files yesterday.

So what I did was resize them in Photoshop to make them smaller.
I didn't check to see what the quality was after resize and uploaded them yesterday.

I am now uploading all 4 pages to my Dropbox account.
This is the URL to access the folder: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nr39cxl1roo4tlv/AAD3Bjd3iBGlJJxvRnSada86a#/.

The part I am having trouble with is on page 3, the first bar starting from measure 41 to the end of page 3.
The 2nd, 3rd and 4th bars don't look that difficult to me. :whistle:

I would appreciate if maybe some of you can make a recording of how this part is played or maybe a step-by-step recording per measure so I can learn it :bluewink2:
That is if it is not too much to ask.... :)

Thanks in advance.

#32 ·
Have you tried listening to Pink Panther at YouTube? Search on "Pink Panther saxophone quartet" and you'll likely find this arrangement.

#37 ·
Try playing the line using eighth notes and the written pitches. The written rhythm is the arranger's attempt at getting the correct "bounce". How you interpret it is up to you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.