Sax on the Web Forum banner

Paul Perez

6K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Tryptykon 
#1 ·
Paul is a professor at Cal State Bakersfield who I met through a mouthpiece trade. Hes' played with Smokey Robinson , Tower of Powers and other head lining groups. What a nice guy. Hes been sharing sax playing tips with me that he's learned from Don Menza and Brecker. What a great guy. I feel like I made a friend. That to me is the attitude of the guys who "made it" . No bs no grandstanding. They know, and thats all that matters. K There are quite a few You Tubes of him. and he's playing along side Lenny P and Brandon Fields on TOP recordings. K

#2 ·
Paul is the genuine article. He doesnt have to be pretentious. He is talented, a total crackup, and amazingly down to earth. He is a pleasure to know. What he has to say he says up front and he wastes no time with garbage. The rest he puts in his music. You pretty much nailed my experience with him too Keith.

#4 ·
Amanda has taken a lesson with Paul at our house. A 5-hour lesson!!!
What a gentleman.
Amanda is trying to get the faculty to allow (read pay) him to teach (mentor?) her for 'Applied' classes.

We see him play locally (Ventura) with "The Bomb". We actually put on our 'Boogie Shoes'.
Super cool guy by being, as Phil put it, "down to earth".

Keith, has he 'shown' you the way to position your bottom lip??

#7 ·
I did some business with Paul a little over a year ago. Simply put, he is a straight up, nice man who went waaay above and beyond his commitment to me. They should all be this good.

#8 ·
Paul sure can blow Phil-tone's tenor Rift mpc that Phil and Paul are working on.
He sounded great on the sound clips.

#9 ·
WELL SAID....Paul Perez is a great player who is totally in control of his horn and life. He's a great example of a player's player.

I always look forward to hanging and speaking to Paul at NAMM shows- and wish he lived closer- and was more available. his playing is inspiring...
Confident, fluent and agile, he builds solos with care and economy. I love his wraparound tone recalling the blues-drenched power and authority
of great masters. Which he is as well!!
One year at NAMM he showed Theo and I some wild Berg-esque pieces that were done years ago in Bakersfield. This guy knows what's up- I keep trying this one that was huge...way over 140 and told Paul I had my "California Jones" on with this. FAT SOUL....but really hip to play soft too. To much fun!!

In short...I am a Paul Perez fan too.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.