Sax on the Web Forum banner

Super 20 tenor

5K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  hornjunkie 
#1 ·
FWIW...I play R&B and rock on an old 5 digit Mark VI. I have bought and sold a bunch of different horns (Taiwan, both "Y's" and more) over the years as my hobby. Almost all were very nice but just did not have that "sound". I picked up a mid '60s Cleveland tenor with a silver neck (at the recommendation of a member here). One of the reasons for this series IV was that the left hand pinky keys were more "Selmer like". While setting it up my tech of usual few words said "this plays amazing". For the first time in a while my Selmer has sat in the case for weeks. I don't think I will ever sell the Mark VI but this S20 sure is fun to play. It has a real nice R&B sound and I think the left hand palm keys sound fuller than the Mark VI. Altissimo G is a little tougher but doable. I'm real happy with it but maybe I just lucked out.

#6 ·
How does your S20 compare to the the Zephyr tenor 305xxx that you sold me?
... which I totally love, btw.

#10 ·
How does your S20 compare to the Zephyr tenor 305xxx that you sold me?
... which I totally love, btw.
I'm very glad that you are enjoying the Zephyr. It was upsetting when that shipping damage occurred. I try to pack horns very carefully.
I cant' remember exactly how that one played, but I know if it were not for the old style left hand pinky key layout, I would still own it. That is another horn that the tech who services my horns loved the sound of. And he is also a pro musician; I'm just a hobbyist.
I think the S20 is pretty close AND it has more modern keywork. Not as slick as the Mark VI but an easy transition for me between the two.

#13 ·
I have a 379xxx S20 tenor with a silver neck that is probably the darkest horn I own.
I've played it with with 3 different Zephyr necks (lacquer) at a time when I owned 3 Zephyrs as well as the S20.
And each one of them was brighter than the silver neck.
I wouldn't put too much hope into a silver neck brightening your sound on that VI.
It would likely alter the sound in some way, but you can bet it has nothing to do with the metal it is made from or the coating on that metal.

#14 ·
I don't really need to brighten my Mark VI. When I use my Sakshama MBII, it is plenty bright. The S20 does not like the MBII as much. I'm using a Norberto / Klum metal link copy (.115) on the King and it plays really well. Any other MP suggestions for the King for rock / R&B would be interesting.

I played a gig with a loud 10 piece R&B band last night on the S20 last night and really loved it. The miked solos kicked butt. For now it will be my main horn.
I won't let go of the old Mark VI though.

#21 ·
I had my series IV S20 in the shop the other day. The front F pad was replaced among other things. I think a thinner pad opened a little further. G3 now works better.
The old Mark VI is still getting neglected.
What mouthpiece are you guys using for rock R&B?

#23 ·
I play a blue vandoren t95 java [ not jumbo] and its awesome for rock with a flat cut Rigotti gold 3.5 and awesome for jazz with a rico 3.5 ... this is on an early eastlake 450xxx tenor that just keeps growing on me ... i am a repair tech and am always playing others horns ... In fact i have just overhauled a 117xxx mk6 tenor and its for sale all new black roo pads with nylon resos, so if you live by the sea like me they dont rust , great player ? anyone intertested danodownunder@clear.net.nz

#24 ·
Mouthpiece update...I thought my Sakshama MBII (.115 with a high baffle) sounded too "brash", but that was playing it at home. I took it to a rock band rehearsal last night and thought it was great. No one had any problem hearing me and they said the sax sounded great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.