Sax on the Web Forum banner

Gloger neck on S20 tenor

6K views 28 replies 17 participants last post by  donnc 
#1 ·
Can anyone advise me on this have you tried or own a gloger S20 tenor neck and do they improve the horn ?? I have a 450xxx s20 tenor and i am playing a late model neck SML style neck on it . I purchased the horn with a zephyr 389xxx neck on it and already owned the other king neck ... the horn was resistant and darker with the Z neck and plays better with the modern neck free blowing etc . When were the sml style necks produced ? And should i get a copper gloger ??? HELP :)

#3 ·
I play on a Gloger neck. Not on a super 20, but on my Borgani. It won't make a bad horn good ...but it will make a good horn better. The original neck on my horn was completely mashed. You will not find better craftsmanship anywhere else in the world.

#5 ·
I was going to suggest looking for an original underslung neck. You could find a brass one for around $300 which is around 1/3 of the gloger cost. I was in a similar situation, having a similar era S20 with a severe neck pull down that had been repaired. I found an underslung brass neck for somewhere between $350 and $400 and it's improved my S20 no end. Budget for having it fitted because a minor tenon leak will make a neck dark and stuffy. It took a while, but they do come around. You could post some wanted ads here.

In the end I decided that a gloger neck was too expensive to justify since it would cost half as much that the sax itself cost me.

#6 ·
thanks to all for the posts .... Can anyone advise me as to when the sml style king necks where made ? and does anyone use one and how do they compare to standard under slung neck... they are a little longer and the intonation is spot on ... Ta

#8 ·
thanks to all for the posts .... Can anyone advise me as to when the sml style king necks where made ? and does anyone use one and how do they compare to standard under slung neck... they are a little longer and the intonation is spot on ... Ta
Are you talking about the King-Marigaux tenors? Those were made to SML specs rather than King Super 20.

#10 ·
I was looking at this one also, but like you when you're being raped on shipping the deal doesn't look too good.
S20 necks can be hard to find at the best of times.
It may be worth contacting a member here from Canberra (Dzve) I know I've gotten that wrong but it's something like that.
He had some necks in the past I believe.
Maybe someone else can help me with his actual name.

#12 ·
Have had a Gloger copper neck made and its improved the sound.... fatter and darker with just as much grunt when pushed... Horn was cheap due to having the wrong era neck and key guards , have sorted all that and its a gorgeous horn it has had very little work no resolders and its straight and tight ...New old key guards made in the UK very good ....:bluewink2:

#13 ·
I did commission a solid silver underslang neck to Karsten Gloger for my Eastlake Super 20 tenor.

With hindsight the neck didn't make any real improvement to a horn that was already nice on his own. Gloger, at the time, sought to make necks which were as close a reproduction to the original one.

I then bought a King silver neck and I can honestly say that the sound of the King Brass neck, The King Silver one and the Gloger silver neck were almost identical and for sure past a short period the player would revert to his sound whatever small influences the necks might have imparted.

#14 ·
I'm playing King's exclusively now, but for the first ten years my main horn was a Selmer S80 Series II. I was playing a lot of rock and roll then and was experimenting on getting some more edge out of the Selmer. To that end, I purchased a Gloger thin wall silver neck. Between that and the Guardala King the Selmer got pretty close to what I was looking for.

However upon getting King Fever, the Selmer, the Gloger, and two brass Selmer necks have been sitting in the closet for a number of years now. I pull it out every once and a while, and it's a good reliable horn, BUT, after and an hour it quickly goes back from whence it came. hahaha King's Rule!!!

#15 ·
My only experience with a solid silver Gloger neck which I play on my alto, a JK Shadow, is pretty much the same as Milandro's except altissimo is a wee bit clearer and fuller on the Gloger.

I think Karsten builds really good necks and if the neck on your instrument is not quite as it should be for some reason, his work is very accurate and very high quality workmanship.

#18 ·
I have a silver Gloger neck for my Ref 54 tenor and it does improve the sound in my opinion. I wanted to give the horn a sweeter sound as I found the horn with the stock neck quite aggressive. Karsten was great to deal with. He built a neck with a curve and profile more like an SBA and it achieved exactly what we wanted.
I agree if the existing neck is good and has the sound you want, changing the neck may not make any difference or could makes things worse.
I did have a experience where I bought an aftermarket neck not built for the horn I had at that time and the intonation wasn't good compared to the stock neck.

#19 ·
this has been the new route taken by Gloger, after a number of years od faithful neck reproductions then he started providing necks with different designs on customer's request.

I don’t have a direct experience with that but, it seems to me, that this is a stochastic process with infinite number of variables not all of which must have, per se, a necessarily positive outcome.

#21 ·
I don't have a direct experience with that but, it seems to me, that this is a stochastic process with infinite number of variables not all of which must have, per se, a necessarily positive outcome.
Some do to a great extent, and no, I don't think it is entirely stochastic. I have stopped but earlier messed around quite bit with necks, and it can have major effects on sound. For my first tenor, a SA80(I), I purchased a thick wall copper neck from Peter and there is no way I would ever go back to the original. I even modified the body side octave mechanism to better accommodate this neck. It is reversible, but I don't see myself parting with the horn. The difference would be noticeable to a blinded person and few with a good ear would choose the original. I bet Carten Glöger can do the same, but if he gets orders for a replacement necks and accommodates the costumers, then it is sort of peculiar to me why anyone would expect a major difference from the original. I am certain that if asked to make a neck that gives a bolder and more spread sound or the opposite, he could easily do this. Also, the complaints about the necks being expensive are simply out of touch with the cost of this level of craftsmanship in Western Europe. It barely exists in the US. 2nd hand original necks for prices vintage horns aren't inexpensive either and come with the risk of having been pulled down or needing other repairs.

#22 ·
the stochastic element is adapting a neck design X meant for horn Y to a different type of horn, say Z.

Suppose you like a shallow curve. Now I have a horn that was meant, for example, for a more arched neck and I ask someone to simply adapt the shallow curve neck, to my horn.It will fit, it will play.

The results might be great.........or not.

Also, octave pips positioning and diameter is crucial and varies between saxophones. If I take one design and then use it on a different horn it might not work.

#23 ·
I think this type of post is very useful for myself and others like me. Because it not only try's to address the ops concerns but talks generally re. Players experience using after market necks.
I have only ever tried a G1 neck on an early YAS 62 and didn't find any real difference, and what I learn from this post, and my own limited experience is, considering the cost and time involved it's probably much better to try different horns and change when you find something more to your taste.

#29 ·
A random and meaningless anecdote -

Along with my mid '30s Zephyr, I also have a Martin Indiana from the mid '50s, and earlier this week had them both out to see what might suit me for today's gig. Of course that would be the Zephyr. So yesterday I had a few idle minutes and pulled it out to warm up before band practice, and it was ... a little squirrelly, I don't know, but real depth to the tone too. When I put it away I realized I'd accidentally put the Martin neck on it! Would have never guessed that the two would be so interchangeable. I didn't really check for pitch, it was probably really a bit of a disaster, but it fooled me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.