Sax on the Web Forum banner

1911 H.N. White King Cleveland

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Steve D 
#1 ·
Danny here:

Now restoring a lovely early Cleveland King C from 1911. Scored it with original case and neck with matching serial number 37,XXX. The seller said it did not play, but I suspected otherwise and on arrival I found a mouthpiece jammed up in the body tube. It plays decently on the current pads but I am going to give it really nice new pads. It came to me fresh and dusty, with that great 103 year old C-Melody smell. Unfortunately the original front F mechanism is gone (but the key with pearl is there!) so I will have to fabricate a front F lever. Also the low Eb key guard took a good knock sometime in the last century and will need to be straightened. Those of you who know about early Kings might be wondering how I came up with 1911:

-I plotted the existing data from 1893 up till 1945 (Around 1945 it visibly skews on a plot. Must be due to WWII demand for brass)
-I applied a polynomial regression of best fit to the data.
-I calculated the equation Y = 3.396X[SUP]3[/SUP] - 19,400.032X[SUP]2[/SUP] + 36,942,177.16X - 2,349,849,462.444

Feel free to use my equation to estimate the year of pre 1915 King Saxophones, it fits the existing data extremely well on a plot. It maps serial number as a function of time, not the other way around. Its probably not very reliable around the edges of years, but if you calculate the middle of a year (as I did calculate 1911.6 with my sax being 37,XXX) it is safe to say it was made in that year.

This is the oldest C-Melody I have ever played and I can already tell its going to wail. It has HUGE sound, very loud compared to my other horns. Intonation is a little different, but I will be able to master it with some hours in the shed. The bell reads "King, Made By, The H.N. White Co., Clevd., O." I am quite happy to have found such a great early King in such fabulous condition.

Cheers, I will post a thread with restoration photos soon.

Musical instrument Reed instrument Human body Wind instrument Woodwind instrument
Hand Musical instrument Reed instrument Finger Wind instrument

Brown Wood Textile Tints and shades Metal
Musical instrument Reed instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Purple

Wood Gas Machine Cylinder Metal

See less See more
#3 ·
I am not sure if anyone is sure about King numbers, I was using saxophone.org to determine my info. Thanks for the sites I will dig into this more!

#5 ·
Your horn looks a lot like mine which has serial #63,XXX and I figured was made in 1919, but that could be wrong. A few days ago I listened to a friend play his Buescher from about the same era, and then my king. They are definitely different horns. Glad you found yours and are giving it a new lease on life.

Steve D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.