Sax on the Web Forum banner

Super 20 - 343xxx - Is this a Series II or III?

4K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Grumps 
#1 ·
This horn has full pearls and double socket neck. I thought that was a sign of the earlier series horns.

What should I expect with regard to tone and action?

http://www.saxquest.com/product/vie...r-sax-in-original-lacquer-serial-343160-P7427

I played a NICE Super 20 earlier this year and was favorably impressed. It was the only horn, in a roomful Selmers and a few Borgani, Conns, and others, that caught my attention as something different and wonderful.

#8 ·
Jim, as I recall, it was circa $4350. Maybe someone else here that saw it will know better.

I'm confused then. Saxpics has the Super 20 Series II as 305000-338000. http://www.saxophone.org/museum/saxophones/manufacturer/56

I need to not only do more homework on the Super 20 Series II tenors, but learn which sources I can trust.

I don't doubt that we'll see it here in the future, given the number of lurking flippers that seem to be drawn to SotW. The full serial number is 343160 and it needs a repad as it currently has tired looking rivet pads.

Regardless, I'd appreciate some definitive pointers regarding spotting a good Super 20 Series II tenor. There's another Super 20 at Saxquest, but it looks like a Series I.

#10 ·
Is there more to the differences between the Series 1 and 2 other than losing the 3 point pants guard.

I appreciate your taste Dr. G. I've had a Zephyr Special and a '57 Z while a close friend had a late Cleveland Silver Sonic and either a 1 or 2 with pearls and sterling.

Other than the clunky pants guard, what's the deal breaker for a Series 1?

#11 ·
Is there more to the differences between the Series 1 and 2 other than losing the 3 point pants guard.

I appreciate your taste Dr. G. I've had a Zephyr Special and a '57 Z while a close friend had a late Cleveland Silver Sonic and either a 1 or 2 with pearls and sterling.

Other than the clunky pants guard, what's the deal breaker for a Series 1?
Good question, Robert. I need to call my friend to find out the serial number of the one I played. I don't know enough about the playing characteristics of these horns, and my direct experience is too limited. Chalk it up to too many years (decades) on Selmers. :twisted:

#15 ·
I believe my oldest one (300xxx) is a series II Full pearls; triangle pant guard; Gold lacquer on the silver neck and rods. Double socket. Single ring for neck strap. Of my three the tone is darker than my 400xxx SilverSonic and 433xxx Eastlake Silversonic.

Notes on the 300xxx:
Tone is focused especially compared to my early (89xxx MVI); Sub tones down low are rich and resonant; tone quality is even up and down the register. Slightly bigger bore at the neck (I posted measurements on an earlier post comparing the three horns) Beautiful horn especially for jazz.

Downside:
Not especially mouthpiece friendly compared to the later models; In addition to many others I have tried an Original Guardala King; Sakshama King; PNR King; and these narrower chamber pieces do not perform well.
Left hand spatula keys are a reach for me; bending the G# key as far south as you can helps a bit.
I have locked in with Marks 10Mfan Robusto 9 and it is a great match.

These other mpcs play very well on my other later model Kings and altissimo is especially vibrant on the extremely free blowing 433xxx Eastlake.

Something I noted in an earlier post (I think it's the Super 20 Fan Club) is by taking a relatively neutral mouthpiece (In my case a new hard rubber link 7) and playing them on the different horns one can really hear the distinctive qualities of the different horns compared to hot rodded mpcs like the guardala's et al.

#16 ·
I owe you an overdue "Thank You" for the contributions here, as well as a follow up.

I found a delightful 320xxx Super 20 with a recent Aaron Barnard overhaul, and I am on a honeymoon. I've paired it with a Ben Allen "Tony Dagradi Sig" HR mouthpiece. It's interesting that, after all these years, I can still be surprised by a combination that just takes me to new spaces and places. Lovin' it.

Cheers!

#19 ·
An explicit "Thank you" to you, Michael, for the discussions in many various threads about these horns. Yes, the pant guard is engraved - but, of course! I dunno, it somehow seems funny to engrave that - even tho' everything else is engraved too. I still love the look of the engraved keycups when I look at photos of Super 20s, but when I open the case, I find that I just pick up the horn and play it. The true beauty of these horns is in the playing experience.

Preaching to the choir, of course. Super 20 players will understand, those that have never had the opportunity to play a great one won't have much of a clue.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.