Sax on the Web Forum banner

SOTW TOTM for July 2014 - All The Things You Are

24K views 224 replies 35 participants last post by  eldavo 
#1 ·
A big thank you to Mascio for asking me to pick this month's tune. I am very honored to have this opportunity, and I hope you all have fun with this and enjoy this tune as much as I do!

I believe this is one standard every jazz musician should know, as it's not only a wonderful song, but also a great vehicle for both improvisation and theory. There have been thousands of recordings of this tune, so just go to YouTube/Grooveshark/your local (gasp!) record store to find some! Here are a couple of my favorites:

Bird:

Ella:

Chris Potter:

Dick Oatts:
https://app.box.com/s/3flr9jxm3y6krtsb8aba

Here's a link with charts in C, Bb, and Eb:
https://app.box.com/s/ic84t10gulj17fdg89ok

And here are 3 backing tracks- slow, medium, and "fast" (not really that fast):
https://app.box.com/s/tou91d8q2g8uhkdkxma6

*None of these backing tracks have the intro, which is: ||: Db7#9 | Db7#9 | C7#9 | C7#9 :||

Here's a link to Jamey Aebersold backing tracks from Grooveshark:

http://grooveshark.com/#!/search?q=jamey+aebersold+all+the+things+you+are

There's even a 12-key track there for those of you who are more adventurous!

I guess since it's the first post I should throw my hat into the ring right away. This is the only recording I have of me playing this tune but I'm gigging with my quartet the next 2 nights so I'll try to get a decent recording.

I hope to hear lots of great recordings this month!

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
#7 ·
Oooo...great tune and definitely a challenge with the changes. Gonna be fun. Hoping I can get a recording in next week. Have fun all!

Brilliant btw.....love your tone and approach on this take. /cheers!

#6 ·
zoom!

I love this tune. I couldn't play it at all up until about last year and then I just went mad.

I'll do a proper version with backing track. But here's a solo I did a few months ago.

Beautiful Sound and Phrasing Mascio! This is one of the standards to define players. You seem like you've got some experience with this one.

It's Canada Day today so that means a free day. I was hoping to play with my Looper pedal but I'm sure I could bang out a good version within an hour or so.

Check back today I'll have something for ya.

#10 ·
Yes please ... I need some surprising ! :mrgreen:

Mascio - superb ... it has everything ! I hope you find the time to post a flute version as well.
Sean - awesome live atmosphere, I would have liked to hear the piano solo too.

#12 ·
Here's my first real take on this one.

For the sake of learning I purposely said to myself that I'm going to start the first chorus with very few notes and add more notes as each chorus goes along. One of the biggest problems I have with tunes I know is overplaying. By limiting myself you can hear the first 3 choruses are quite good and I wanted to stay in the vibe I was getting but I eventually had to end up adding a ton of notes by the end and you can hear how my playing gets sloppier. I thinks it's pretty cool.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12842737

#15 ·
I liked "in" better! :mrgreen:

I was kinda bummed I missed last month's tune - I had a final project for Music History.
Definitely gotta get in on this one!

#18 ·
Swaman- I like some of the motifs you use. Little hooks that make the track rememberable.

I like the embellishment of the melody. Some of the changes are more concrete than others so you just have to watch your resolutions a little.

Playful. I liked it.

#19 ·
Just got home from the gig...I didn't even call the tune! I let down my SOTW people. It's ok...we're playing again tomorrow and a few more times this month so I have time. I'll try to get that analysis up sometime before the weekend...I'll even include some subs and what not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
Nick, in the clip, are you playing the YBS-62 with the stainless Berg on it?

I felt the level here was just a little too high, so I'll throw this one in just to bring it down some.
Plus I wanted to see if the few pads I just replaced were sealing OK.
I good one for me to build on at any rate.

#25 ·
littlewailer: Glad you liked it. Thanks for listening & commenting.
Still not sure if I like my Tonamax or my old Link better. Tried my vintage HR Berg 105/0 today and liked the volume and ease of playing. Since I'm playing at sessions lately, I realize I need that volume to hear myself. Why do people play jazz at such a high volume that your ears ring for 2 days?

#27 ·
Got a chance to listen to everyone so far! Hopefully some of my comments can help. If not, disregard them completely :) Remember whenever I name any notes or chords I'm always talking in concert key! (just so no one gets confused).

Mascio- Nice sound throughout. Watch your 16th note lines- you're slurring them (which is fine) but the time fluctuates. Still think of the pocket of the rhythm section as you're blowing through those quicker runs. Also, try some other color tones over the 5 chords. You're staying very tonic-centered, but I think you can experiment with some more sounds, like alt/dim, 13b9, stuff like that. Just some non-tonic centered chord tones leading into the 1. This will help create a little pull (tension) that resolves on the 1 chord.

littlewailer- 1st take- Great energy! I really like to see when people care about what they're playing and that it comes through the horn. Nice build and dynamic use throughout as well. I think you could play more convincingly going to the Fm at the beginning of the 1st and last A sections. (or the last section is C, whatever you want to call it) You have that C7 chord- at the end of the intro it's a #9, end of the bridge it's a #5, and end of the chorus it's a b9. In all 3 cases, I think you should try to highlight the 3rd more (E) to give you that 5-1 resolution. Whether you want to use an F harmonic minor scale, a C augmented triad, an A major triad (C13b9), or something else is up to you to mess around with. This is a crucial spot in that it really brings everything back to the beginning of the section, and I know you have the capability to make it a strong resolution.

LW 2nd take- Thick sound, and phrasing was better in this take. Watch out for playing the same 16th note lick over and over! I know it's easy to find something that works and always throw it in there, but you have the knowledge and skills to be able to be creative and construct some different fast lines. Something that helped me be able to do that is take a bunch of choruses on the tune ONLY playing 16th notes (or whatever fast subdivision you're working on). If you handcuff yourself and not play anything except that one rhythmic idea, you'll start to think more creatively. I've also done this with a million different things- rhythms, note choices, etc. I would play 30 chorus of a tune with only 1 thing in mind...this way you can free yourself up to truly create.

Swaman- Nice job with the head, I like some of your ideas between sections! I think some more time with these changes would help...because they go right around the circle and the melody notes are simply the 3rds of each chord, experiment with creating a new melody using other chord tones- only 5th, 7ths, etc. This will help your ear follow the changes. From there you can use 3rds and 7ths to create guide-tone lines that move smoothly through the changes. For example, you could play this line over the 1st A- | Eb | Db | Db | C | C | C B | B | B | that would be 7-3-7-3-7-73-7. Smooth line, only using 3rd and 7ths. Then from here you can build a melody (solo) based on this guide tone line. Try it! It's a great way to navigate changes for any tune, but especially this one because the chords move around the circle.

B Flat- You get a nice bari sound...I think you should let it song out on the head! I would forget trying to add any embellishments on it and just play what's written. It's the melody for a reason right? I think if you go back and play it and focus on less notes but just put it in the pocket, it'll instantly sound better. Same thing with the blowing section- I hear you trying to play some lines and phrases, and they're not really making the changes. If you focus more on creating a simple melody and stay right in the pocket your solo will sound more coherent and tasty. I hope to hear some more takes this month! This is a great tune for learning how to solo. I'll be posting my analysis of the tune either today or tomorrow (not a promise, but hopefully).

donnersm- Nice use of space/held notes in the head, and you stayed simple with the melody. It doesn't always have to be flashy! Check out your articulation- you're slurring all your 8th notes, whereas you should be tonguing (NOT ACCENTING) the upbeats. Think "da-dooah-dooah-dooah." Also, take some time this month to check out the changes on the bridge- 2-5-1 to Gmaj then 2-5-1 to Emaj...1st learn the tonic major scales (G and E). Then from there learn all chord tones, then the scales for the min and dom7 chords (dorian and mixolydian). This is a good starting point to be able to blow over this section. Keep at it!

#28 ·
Thanks for the listen Dave.
And the comments/advice is very much appreciated.
Listening to it again I can see exactly what you mean, particularly the head embellishments.
I tried to do too much on a tune I don't know yet.
I have a bad habit of dressing up the head in tunes, especially those I don't know so well.
Perhaps it's to cover the fact that I don't really know how it should be played.
I will put more time in to learning this tune and trying to understand the changes a bit more this month.
So far work doesn't seem as busy as last month so should have more time.
Thanks again.

#32 ·
That's a great attitude to have! Can't wait to hear more.

Dave thanks a lot for your time and comments. i think your comments were right on the spot. i definitely play too diatonically and am working on becoming more adventurous on the V7 chords, well, just adding more dissonance in general i think would make my playing more jazzy.
I know you have the capability to expand your playing, but remember it's just my opinion. If you don't want to hear that tension, don't play it...play what you want to hear!

I will take all the things you've said into great consideration Dave. I appreciate the candid insight.
You're welcome Sean...I know we'll hear more from you this month and I'm looking forward to it!

#29 ·
Dave thanks a lot for your time and comments. i think your comments were right on the spot. i definitely play too diatonically and am working on becoming more adventurous on the V7 chords, well, just adding more dissonance in general i think would make my playing more jazzy.

#33 ·
Great choice in TOTM selection, the 3rds song I like to call it or just shout out to do "3" on a gig.
very clever yet so simple, perfect combination.
I will get round to posting at some point, with my own slant on it.
from the very brief scan through all the versions posted so far I like the variety, nice.

#35 ·
Dave, thank you for listening & commenting. The 3rds & 7ths sound like something worth trying. My question for that method would be, aren't you letting a "method" dictate what you play in comparison to just using your imagination to invent a melody? It might be a big help in playing some of Wayne's tunes and other tunes that have changes that are hard to hear. I'll give it a try and see what happens. Thanks for your effort to explain it to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.