Sax on the Web Forum banner

nice Super 20 - insane price though...

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Fader 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I'm with Candace on this one. Asking price and selling price are two different things. eBay has some high priced S20's these days too but the ones that have actually sold have done so for considerably less. I picked up a 61' recently that is 95%+ and the original alligator case in great condition for around $3,000. Even that hurt but I think both the seller and I were happy in the end. They are wonderful saxes indeed. The market just doesn't seem to currently support the $5k prices people are asking. Of course all this may just be wishful thinking because I'd love to find an alto to match the tenor!

#7 ·
That horn looks simply marvelous! I loves my s20 alto, 369xxx, original finish, cleveland, double socket neck. I payed $3400for it, and bought a WJ case for it, as it did not come with the original case. I've played so many alto's in a alot of years, and will keep this one for sure. @fader- I think it was u who outbid me on ebay,lol as I bid on a '61 s20 tenor not too long ago and got outbid. If your's is the one I was interested in getting, it looked like a good one!...I'm now on the lookout for a Silversonic tenor, and looks like I might have to pay in the 5K range, as that's what they are going for now.

Although I've since played an awesome Mark VI tenor at a local music store that was amazing!...I used to play them for around 25 years, than I switched to Yamahahaha, so I'm undecided if I want to go back to a Mark VI or get a Silversonic....the guy wants 8k for it though, ouch, and I don't know how much he'll go down in price...I'm leaning more towards the Silversonic!

#10 ·
Patience is the key. I lusted after a MKVI tenor for years and actively searched for about 3 years I think. Craigslist $1,800. I had it in my hands within 2 hours of it being posted. I don't have to do so well on the S20 alto purchase. I can just sell the MKVI to finance it, but I'm really hoping to find one for under $3k....There are still deals to be had - even on Ebay. Sellers with no feedback are often ignored, "Make Offer" sales with high BIN prices usually get very few offers. After a few months with the item not selling, sellers tend to become more eager to sell. And I'd be happy with an early 60's Cleveland example - I like the engraved key-cups but I don't really need the pearls... It would make the best match to my Tenor...With any instrument purchased online you have to budget for some tech work. you also have to accept the fact that you might not like it and will need to flip it. When I sell an instrument, I set a painfully low reserve on the basis that the same holds true for other buyers. Mostly the results have been really good. I don't get returns because I both list honestly, and offer the items at a great price. If there is a problem, it's usually still a good deal...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.