Sax on the Web Forum banner

Zephyr Fan Club!!!

55K views 185 replies 81 participants last post by  JimD 
#1 ·
I absolutely love my 323xxx 53' Zephyr Alto! When I went shopping for a new horn I chose it over a King S20 and a Conn 6M. At the beginning I thought it would still be nice to have one of the S20s I had tried out more than 5 years ago when I was living in Port., OR. Now that I have this horn under my fingers, I'm glad I didn't choose another one. While the 6M's a great horn, my Zephyr has such a range of sound possibilities. It sound great when I play dark, bright, and in the mulit-phonic range. There's nothing this horn isn't well equiped to do! I play on a Lakey mpc too, but I've no problems conrolling this horn (well, except when my lip starts going numb and blown out.) Who else loves their Zephyr?

#32 ·
Count me in! I love my late 60s Zeph baritone. It plays with any mouthpiece, got lots of bottom power, and stays in tune up top. My tutor said, "I've never heard a bari where the high notes popped out so easy." It is a great horn that I got in trade, plus $50, for an Evette-Schaffer stencil baritone. I could not be happier. My pal has a 40s tenor that he has not played since 1974, and I cannot get him to part with it. It really rocks.

#34 ·
I was holding back on commenting on my new 1960 Zephyr bari - still waiting for bari reeds. But I tried it with a tenor mouthpiece, and was struck with the effortless sound that comes out of this horn - just like your experience.

#35 ·
I guess my tenor Zephyr is the newest so far: 470xxx. It's great, though. The intonation is not bad at all and the instrument has the oomph that I look for in a tenor. I like the old style left pinky pad, too. Mine has Ft Collins engraved on it and stenciled on the case. Don't know if it was used in a military band or not. I paid plenty more than $70 for it, but way less (even with a complete overhaul) than what restored versions are selling for by dealers.

#42 ·
Count me in! I just got my early 40's King Zephyr tenor about two weeks ago. I've been getting used to it the past few days, but I'm really surprised at how well it plays even with a few leaks here and there (the low Bb cup has a pretty major leak). The only issue I have with it now is the middle D. Like most other saxophones, the middle D here sounds stuffy and subdued as of now. I have to open it up using the palm D key or low Db key. I can't wait to get it serviced by my tech to get it to its full playing potential. And also to use a better mouthpiece for it! But so far, I'm loving it! Good intonation (even with the leaks), fast keywork, and a strong character in the sound!

#43 ·
The only issue I have with it now is the middle D. Like most other saxophones, the middle D here sounds stuffy and subdued as of now. I have to open it up using the palm D key or low Db key.
If it's like "most other saxophones" in this respect, then why bring it up as an issue? But yes, Kings do have stuffier D's than some other horns I can think of. This is even the case with the very pricy primo Super 20's, as I've played many of them and owned a couple. But to me, it's just part of their charm. It's not like the D doesn't sound (indeed; these horns do not suffer from having a cut-off point like a lot of others I can think of); it's must more muted, like you say middle D is on the majority of saxophones.

#45 ·
#47 ·
A friend of mine bought his first tenor about 10 years ago which turned out to be a King Zephyr. This was the first and only tenor Zephyr I ever played. The first thing I noticed was the very stuffy, soft playing D. At the time, I told him to take it to a repair person to see if something was wrong with it. From what i've read here, I guess there wasn't. :)

#50 ·
In limbo on this one,such incredible condition(rods like new) I have been cleaning,swedging and putting in new springs(old were corroded).

New pads arrive this week and being a bit of a perfectionist I will then take her to my tech for final set up.I found a couple of issues 1) one side of octave cradle is pushed into neck and key arm is bent.2)The bow dent work that has been done is a little sloppy.

My Tech has my Martin and I lean towards keeping it and selling the Zep.I lost a gig chunk of change on my Conn Bari setting it straight and fixing a lot of issues.I just don't have a use for a Bari so at least I got some $ out of it.

I will then see what it is like to have 2 Tenors to play around with,being a "resuming player" I would like to concentrate on getting my chops back.? is can you play 2 different horns and accomplish this.They are certainly both great and different sounding horns. And back to the "perfectionist part" if the cost of setting this Zep up to my standards exceeds re sale value- I won't lose on this one.http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z421/justthesaxman/Zephyr/006.jpg

#49 ·
Hello Zephyr lovers! I have always liked Zephyrs quirks and all. The tone and super fast action more than make up for any quirks I have to deal with. I now have two Zephyrs left. One is a relac baritone ser#358xxx that has the double socket neck, lacquer keys, and plays like a dream. That extra big bell and a Metalite M7 give me plenty of firepower. It's like looking down the business end of a howitzer with that extra big bell. The other is my uglygirl alto ser#290xxx. I paid way too much for this horn initially and put way too much into it but I fell in love when I first played it. She sings like an angel. This one has the triple ring strap hook, double socket neck, and wire keyguards. The only complaint I have is that the C# key is stiff and requires a lot of pressure to open. My other prettygirl alto I have since traded, had the same stiffness yet was in far better condition and manufactured 3 years later than my uglygirl. I'm not sure if this is peculiar to altos or if any of the tenors have the same problem. I have been looking for a double socket Zephyr Tenor that has the same bell dimensions as the S20. The ones I have looked at have been overpriced or in terrible condition. Hopefully there is one out there that plays well, isn't all banged up, yet doesn't have to look good. Maybe someone can steer me in that direction. I would rather have a well made Zephyr than the later not so well made S20's which are grossly overpriced. I have semi retired my trusty S20 tenor I've had these many years so the Zephyr will take its place.

#51 ·
Hi. I'm new to this site. I just scored a King Zephyr from a local swap site for $100. First great sax i've owned. Serial #271xxx. It is in great shape, plays wonderful. Hadn't been out of the case for 35 years. just a couple of small dents and the finish has aged to a darkened gold. Finish is 98% great. Pads look good and all keys works. I'm ready to get back in to playing and to join the local band. I'm taking it to a tech to get it tweaked. I think that is all it needs. Now my question. I need to get a mouthpiece. Really don't want to spend over $100. Please direct me to a mouthpiece that will make this great sax sing better than it already does. I'm one happy zephyr owner today!

#52 ·
I'm a fan.

I own three zep tenors.
'46,'48,'49.
The '46 is a bad relac and has the silver cantilevered neck, single rivet old pads.
Needs work to play its best.

The '48 is a very nice relac with good older pads, flat metal resos. Nice 'n tight.
The '49 is original lacquer, also tight, pushed in low C post in shipping, but plays good on older pads, with flat metal resos.

I gave up trying to get a S20 at a reasonable price.

I play r&b, and I like these tenors better than Buescher Series I and 156, and The Martin tenors, which I also own.

I play a Tenney Jazzmaster on the zeps, with 3-3.5 reeds.

#54 ·
Hi
I have had a Zephyr tenor, SN 278xxx with triple ring and double socket nect, wire guards. It has about 95% lacquer and is very straight. I payed a grand about 10 years ago in Australia, and have recently spend a few hungee getting a strip down and overhaul, just love it.

I was playing a HR mouthpiece but recently tried a lot of new pieces out and got a metal link. Really did the sax wonders, and the slightly flat upper register with the cheap hard rubber MC has disappeared, as well as opening up the flexibility in tone. Absolutely love the tone of this sax, and having a new MC has recently supercharged my motivation to play.

Getting it out of it's original and pretty smelly case and into a Hiscox was a good move too, the old case has tons of character, but was pretty weak in hinges and clasps.

#55 ·
Just got my Zephyr and I think I'm in love! Picked up from the Fedex office last night, courtesy of SOTW's very own Pgraves, this horn is a beauty! SN 298XXX alto in great shape, now the great mouthpiece hunt is on! Currently using a Meyer 5M and it sounds pretty alright, but im gonna try and maximize its potential. Pretty excited to put more time in on this horn.

#56 ·
Hello Zephyr lovers! I purchased a late '50s 369xxx Cleveland tenor on E-bay that is a bit odd. This one has the double socket neck, nickel plated keys and end plug. It has what appears to be a factory replacement neck from older stock because the laquer is much darker than the light gold laquer on the horn. There is no serial number on the neck. I had it overhauled with metal dome resonators. When I picked it up at the shop, I slid my trusty Metalite M7 on the neck cork and proceded to test drive. I put the pedal down and heads turned all the way across the sales floor. I got exactly what I was looking for-a less expensive replacement for my S20 that is almost the spittin' image sound wise. This Zephyr has a bit brighter tone, but the carrying power and projection is identical to my now semi-retired S20. So all you players that love your funk, blues, R&B, gospel, and fusion; and have shied away from taking the Selmer oath of conformity, look no further. There is a Zephyr out there somewhere waiting for you. They don't call it a King for nothing!:king::king::king::king:

#58 ·
I have a 1938 King Zephyr Tenor in excellent condition. This baby has been played very little and all the laquer is original. Has the art deco engravings and looks beautiful. The only issue is with the notes past the high c... they just do not want to play correctly. It keeps me on my toes and makes me a better player in the long run. I wind up substituting notes that are an octave lower and usually no one can tell since most songs don't need that kind of range. The strength of the keys, combined with the thick metal and the excellent looks: more than make up for the upper range deficiencies, especially if I am playing jazz, where improvisation is not unheard of. Just got to bend some of the high notes to get what ya want.

#59 ·
Maybe it is your Mouthpiece ? I have no problems with my 38' (fresh re build by myself) ,though I still need to regulate the palm keys to get them in tune . I am playing mine with a King T vintage MP, I opened up the chamber by rounding the sidewalls,the straight walls were crap ,now it wails ! The tip on this old piece is .70 but it really smokes with the 2.5 Rico Plasticover.Here is a link to some HD pics a friend took-http://bassic-sax.ca/4images/categories.php?cat_id=1206

#60 ·
It could be the mouthpiece, I will try your suggestions once I get back to the states. I brought an old Signet here to China since I didn't want to risk the Zephyr, I am dying to get back to the King though, I miss the sound and the solid feel that the rods have. I miss the beauty and perfection as well. This old Sig is a good player but it looks like an old "hooptie" for sure. Thanks for the info and the Pics.

#62 ·
I love my newly acquired 1951 King Zephyr alto, 308xxx. It really sings, but has a darker tone more like a Martin rather than a Buescher or Conn. Still, it projects really well, and takes tons of air through a Phil-tone Meyer 6 mouthpiece without complaining.
I was a beginner/intermediate for three years (1964-1967!) on a 1964 Selmer Bundy (which was a Buescher 140 without snaps or Nortons), so the "heavy" low C# doesn't bother me much. Most other vintage saxophones of high quality have that heavy C# until you get to the Mark VI, so one learns to cope with it.
Sax Magic

#65 ·
I'm a new member to the club. I have acquired a Zephyr in as new condition; 2239##, no dings or blemishes, original lacquer, case, and mouthpiece. The horn is getting a full treatment: pads, reso's, full mechanical clean and lube. Will put a few photos when its in my possession. Question ------ 223### is this a late thirties series two Zephyr? Thanks in advance ----- Lp

#66 ·
I used to own a 1939 Zephyr that was a great horn. I never had it set up the way it ought to have been. I loved the sound of that horn though. I recently bought a 1953/1954 Zephyr with sheet guards and double socket neck. I can't wait to get it and play it. I've been looking that huge King sound at an affordable price for a while. Any mouthpiece recommendations for a rock/r&b kind of sound. I want bright, but even with a full bottom end. I'll re-post when I get the horn and have a few days to play on it.

#68 ·
I have a Zephyr tenor, serial # 307XXX from 1950. It too vibrates in my hands like none of my other tenors. However, unlike yours, it is naturally delacquered. It was the horn that I bought which displaced my much-loved Mark VI which has been my main tenor for 30 years. I bought it specifically for the blues band I work in. It is great for that. Fabulous sound, and let's face, it looks like a great blues horn too.

As far as mouthpieces goes, about 10 or more years ago, when I was working in a rock band, I picked up a couple of Dukoffs. One is a D7* and the other an S7. Both are vintage pieces, and both work great on the Zephyr. (S7s are really tough to find.) I also have a few vintage D7 pieces, and they are great too. I recently bought a new D7. These new Dukoff pieces are nothing like the vintage pieces at all, but if you've not played a vintage Dukoff, you won't know the difference. They are capable of the same thing, you just have to play them very differently.

So I guess you can figure out where I'm going with this: Go to your local music store (assuming you have a large one that caters to pros, that sells Dukoffs), and try a couple. They have a rich, lush bottom end, yet punchy high and mids.

#67 ·
So, I thought I'd update this after getting my 336xxx Zephyr. It's a FANTASTIC horn!! I love the vibrant full sound and the fact that the whole horn vibrates in my hands. I've never actually been aware of that (if I've ever felt it) before. I just took it to the shop to get it adjusted and have some things put just right with it. It's got good pads, though the upper stack need to be floated because they're all leaking. The entire horn plays in tune rather easily - which was my only worry. It's in amazing shape with only 2 barely detectable pings. It's got 90-95% of the original lacquer which has darkened to a nice honey color. I've had a number of tenors, but this is the best playing of all of them. I'd love to add a matching alto in the next year or two. My tech said I got quite the deal given the shape it was in for what I paid. The original case is even in excellent shape. All in all I'm thrilled to be playing it. If it played that well with leaks and missing some cork and a couple sticky pads, I can't wait to play it when he's finished with it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.