Sax on the Web Forum banner

Are Super 20 Altos as good as the Tenors?

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  soybean 
#1 ·
So I recently purchased a S20 Tenor. IT's all that and a side of fries as they say here in the south. So nice in fact that I'm seriously considering buying an alto. Understand that I will probably have to buy online so I'm soliciting opinions (I know what that's worth ;)) here first. I also understand every instrument is different but I can easily flip a vintage sax for what I paid because I don't plan to overpay. With that being said; Who of you are doublers with time behind both the S20 Tenor and Alto? Can I expect to be as impressed with the Alto as I am with the Tenor?

I used to keep 3 high-end, hand selected, and well set-up vintage Tenors in rotation. Since my S20 purchase, I have put them all in storage. Can I expect the same "Wow Factor" from the Alto? (Assuming it's a good one.) I am currently using a Conn Chu Alto, and a Buescher Big B. They are both recently overhauled and play well. It's not that I need another alto - but if the S20 Alto is anything like the Tenor - I have to have one.

So...Those of you with experience / opinions please let me know what you think.

Final reference point: The Tenors that went into storage are a '25 Conn Chu, a '61 The Martin, and a '67 MKVI. I also have a modern Paris Selmer. The S20 simply blew them all away for what I do...

See less See more
#2 ·
Well....my short answer would be yes. I am no doubler by any means but as I repair all, I play all I suppose....I have done both Tenors and Altos and the Altos, it is fair to say, are Alto versions of the Tenors.

So in your stable of Altos, it will have a different color and blowing quality compared to the Buescher and the Conn.

:mrgreen: Ain't that the beautiful thing about the older horns ? Such a lovely variation in them...all smokin' saxes...all the same in some respects but also very different. :mrgreen:

IMHO you don't have to go for the uber-sought after silversonics, either. A nice early-mid Eastlake is a fine, fine horn too, and significantly cheaper than the ultra-bling models.

#3 ·
Well....my short answer would be yes. I am no doubler by any means but as I repair all, I play all I suppose....I have done both Tenors and Altos and the Altos, it is fair to say, are Alto versions of the Tenors.

So in your stable of Altos, it will have a different color and blowing quality compared to the Buescher and the Conn.
Exactly. The Super 20 was my favorite alto for its ability to blow most like a tenor - big, ringing sound when driven, yet sultry on demand. A good Super 20 alto is a great horn. +1 for the comment regarding Silversonics - a silver neck/brass bell combo is a sweet setup. Don't forget to get is set up properly by someone you can trust.

Enjoy the ride!

#4 ·
If you like the Super 20 Tenor, I dare say you'll dig the alto even more. I always found the Altos I played to be even better than the tenors. And the Tenors were GREAT!! I also 2nd the thoughts on the silver sonics. All my favorite super 20s were brass models with silver necks. Simply killer horns!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

#5 ·
My Series 2 Super 20 tenor has put my !967 V1 tenor into storage too although I keep getting it out to check. I had a Series 1 alto that had a very agricultural little finger mech..very heavy so I would be looking at Series 2 altos and beyond. I think the Series 2 for looks as well as playing is the bomb. I will buy a Series 2 alto when I can find the right horn.. living in the UK that's not easy but I keep threatening a road trip.

#6 ·
Well thank you all. Very much. I will give it a go! My tenor is an early '60's model with the silver neck. I'd like to duplicate that with the alto, but a good deal on a Silversonic from the 50's or 60's wouldn't be bad either. Mine is a Cleveland horn and given my druthers (hmmm...spell check allows "druthers"), I'd like to stay in Cleveland if possible. IT may take a while though. Cleveland Alto's with those specs seem to be selling for around $2,500-$3,000 on Ebay, (Which I would gladly pay) but everything currently for sale seems to be closer to the $5k mark. (and not selling) I guess Super 20 sellers are just very proud of their instruments these days...

Ah well, I will be patient (and hate it)- Ebay is not the only source though music stores seem to be just as proud these days. It could be a year or more before one pops up on CL or the other internet options. I searched for three years for the MKVI but eventually found one for $1,800 so I am ever hopeful. Unlike the VI though, cosmetics are a concern with this purchase - My S20 Tenor is beautiful at 95% pristine and I'd like to find a visual match too if I can...I'm slowly learning I must have paid a fair price on the tenor ($3,200) but I can't justify spending that much for an alto. I'm guessing I need to top out around $3k max in the event a resale (or overhaul) is necessary. At a minimum, a trip to the tech is always necessary after shipping....

Now the next question is: What to sell? 5 tenors is two too many I think and they are all great instruments (Yes Jaye - The vintage horns are way cool - Rolled tone holes, Right side bell keys, left side bell keys, splits - odd keys - all the quirks.) I don't want to be a "collector" but it's hard to let go sometimes. Every horn is like a little time capsule but right now it's starting to look like a mini sax museum in here - And - Somehow selling saxes is a bit harder than guitars. I was up to a dozen high-end guitars at one point but I'm now down to the four necessary ones. The others financed my current saxobsession...It could be worse I guess - At least it's not violins...

#7 ·
I have a S20 tenor from the same era, made in Cleveland, silver neck, but not double socket. It is THE best tenor I have tried or owned. I also have a King Zephyr alto with triple neck strap hook and double socket neck. It is said to have the same body as the early S20. It is a very, very nice horn with the deep, bold tone. I still think "Wow" when I got it, but not like "WWWOOOOOOWWWW" when I got the tenor. :bluewink: Maybe this is because I have been looking for a tenor that match well with me for a longer time. In general, I feel it is harder to find a tenor that match with me then an alto. But the S20 alto is an excellent horn and I am sure you won't be disappointed. My favourite alto is Selmer SA80 II though. The Zephyr come very close in 2nd, and Buescher super 400 (same as Top Hat and Cane) comes in third.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.