Sax on the Web Forum banner

American Standard Tenor

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Geoffeybubbles 
#1 ·
Greetings,
I have the opportunity to pick up an American Standard Tenor Saxophone. Does anyone have any experience regarding tone characteristics and intonation?
Many thanks.

#2 ·
They are good horns, they are basically King Clevelands but under a different name. Dunno how old it is, the one you are talking about, but do check that it has a full contingent of keywork....front F, bis key, etc. Very old ones didn't, sometimes.

http://www.hnwhite.com/Serial Numbers.htm

But good players. Intonation is fine, and it has a nice dark tone albeit not quite that of a Zephyr or S20. But very ballsy horns.

In good shape, a brass lacq one worth maybe $500, a silverplate maybe $100 more. If they need work, knock off $150-250 on those (meaning dents/significant dings, old pads, red rot, dirty inside).

Good luck.

#3 · (Edited)
Unfortunately the Cleveland serial number chart does not apply to American Standard instruments (usually).

Quick and very rough way to estimate the age (on woodwinds only) is that if the serial number starts with one letter it's pre-WWII, two letters it's post-WWII.
All American Standard saxophones were built before WWII. If it says "Made by the H.N. White Co." it's from 1937-1942, if it says "Cleveland Musical Instrument Co." (or one of the abbreviations thereof) it's from 1937 or before. Contrary to popular belief, the Cleveland Musical Instrument name was retained for several years following the firm's acquisition.

#5 ·
I have a tenor it has a great sound. No top F but I've figured a way to get it. And low A is flat without a good embouchure. But it has a great sound.It's my spare for when by balanced action is in need of service.
It's very light in weight and the key work is very comfortable with no stretching required.
The sound is the main thing...quite smoky...unlike a lot of modern saxes.
Hope that helps!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.