P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: A.E.SAX Saxophone ?

Distinguished SOTW Member

Default A.E.SAX Saxophone ?

I have been trying to find the manufacture of a silver plated alto called 'LYRIST' with 9 RUE DU COMBAT PARIS on the bell. All i have found is it was made by AE SAX but this dont seem possible as the sax seema a bit newer (approx 1927) and fitted with front top F Eb trill key on top of rh low D and G# trill key between low F and D. Also no serial number on the instrument.
    Anybody got a clue and possible year of manufacture?
    Is this a student or pro sax?

Distinguished SOTW Member Seasax's Avatar

welktlang made a lyrist or lyricist or summat, could possibly be one of them, they are German.
    Conn "27 Chu
    ---- zinner adjustatone mpc,

Adolphe Edouard Sax lived from 1859 to 1945, so the dates could match. He was bought out by H Selmer in 1928, who continued to use the 'Sax' mark until 1933. Address from about 1905 to 1928 was 84 Rue Myrrha, and according to Langwill's none of the Sax family used the address you mentioned - not that that's necessarily significant of course.

Collectionneur d'instruments à vent Jazzbrass's Avatar

Default Sax français des années 20, Lyrist, Pierret, Beaugnier...

Quote Originally Posted by stitch
    Adolphe Edouard Sax lived from 1859 to 1945, so the dates could match. He was bought out by H Selmer in 1928, who continued to use the 'Sax' mark until 1933. Address from about 1905 to 1928 was 84 Rue Myrrha, and according to Langwill's none of the Sax family used the address you mentioned - not that that's necessarily significant of course.
    The new Langwill says p 246:
    " Lyrist "
    Employed 1920/1930 by A.E.Sax
    Mark "Etablissements Lyrist, 9 place du Combat,Paris"

More explications:

From
    http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthr...542#post453542 :

Good I will try to be clear, today here are what I think:

1 In 1906 L. working Pierret ex of Mons, Millereau (repurchased in 1931 by Selmer) and Besson create its company which will be repurchased by Selmer in 1950 but guard the patents with its name. It will continue to make manufacture under its name in Mantes La Jolie (close to Paris) by various neighbors and friends (Selmer, Beaugnier…) and inter alia various stencil key sets “stencils” like the fact so well Couesnon.

2 Selmer which has its factory with Mantes is at the time a mark less famous than Pierret and no doubt, in my spirit, that Selmer arranges its 22 then studies its MK6 in the shade of Pierret which it also manufactures under the benevolent eye of L. Pierret which monitors also its stencil key sets manufactured by Beaugnier in the factory of at side. This until 1970 dates to which the MK6 confirmed its position on the market. In 1930 Selmer repurchased part of Sax, its stencil key sets, its material, the street Myrha or it installed seat and shop. It leaves with A.E. Sax the mark “Lyrist” which will be manufactured in Mantes by Selmer or Beaugnier until 1950 when A.E.Sax gives up its rights. (one curiously observes an identical garland on Beaugnier and Lyrist)

3 In 1927 Beaugnier joins Siour successor of Vault melts his company located 118 data bases Voltaire in Paris then with Mantes the City. For lack of a rigorous management in spite of a higher quality Beaugnier ceases its activity in 1967.
    The factory is repurchased by Leblanc with the personnel and his production under its mark and its stencil key sets until 1973 will continue. Meanwhile Leblanc with open with Vito Pascucci a factory with Kenoska. Beaugnier is then associated Dolnet which takes it again personnel Lelanc and the French factory until 1986. Beaugnier will thus make sax under the marks Vito, Leblanc, Noblet, Martin and even some Yanagisawa without to count famous “the stencil key sets”
    After its repurchase by Steinway in 2004, the loop is buckled Leblanc Inc. includes/understands maintaining the marks: Armstrong, Artley, Bach, Benge, Conn, King, Holton, Martin, Selmer the USA, Selmer Paris, Leblanc, Vito, Yanagisawa, PRIMA Sankyo, Scherl and Roth, Lewis, Glassel, Musser and Ludwig it is it that one calls the concentration capital intensive “World Company”

4 As opposed to what I had written SML did not succumb to the charms of Leblanc. Strasser Marigaux and Lemaire were founded in 1934 by three associated: Charles Strasser, a businessman who was born in Switzerland; Marigaux, a manufacturer of instrument which came from Dresser-Cramp, where his/her father was “a Master craftsman” and Lemaire. After the death of Lemaire, the company became “Strasser-Marigaux” Marigaux died in beginning of the Seventies, leaving Strasser single owner of the company. Strasser then sold with SML (They continue to employ these initial) with a company Strasser-Marigaux SA.
    SML started to make saxophones when the company was founded two years before Selmer. They presented a saxophone of revolutionary action. SML ceased the production of the saxes in 1982; when, the company made 400 saxes per year. It also sold stencil key sets to King, under the name “King Marigaux. ” A spokesman of company said that SML had stopped to make saxophones because “Us let us not can do better than Selmer “

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzbrass
    The new Langwill says p 246:
    " Lyrist "
    Employed 1920/1930 by A.E.Sax
    Mark "Etablissements Lyrist, 9 place du Combat,Paris"
    So it does: I should have checked 'Lyrist' not 'A E Sax'.

This thread is a month or two old, but to add to it briefly: I am not at all convinced that the "Lyrist" is a product of A.E. Sax/Selmer. Apart from the difference in the addresses, there are a lot of significant differences in keywork etc.. The most significant are the very different octave key mechanism and the fact that the Lyrist has rolled tone holes whereas the Sax has not. I have a Lyrist Alto and tenor and an A.E. Sax "Adolph" tenor, and really about the only thing they have in common is the lovely open way they blow! Another difference is that the intonation of the Adolph is markedly superior to that of the Lyrist, which has a tendency to be sharp at the top end. Both are cracking horns, though!