Sax on the Web Forum banner

Honk if You Own NO CDs

4K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  musefound 
#1 ·
A recent thread discussing vinyl ownership must be largely displaced by a generation. How many of you own no CDs? Extra credit if you've NEVER owned one.

I noticed that Amazon recently changed the default music search result from CD to MP3. Now you need an extra click to get to the CD. If Jeff sez a format is kaput, then I guess it is, or soon will be.

What do you all say?

#6 ·
A recent thread discussing vinyl ownership must be largely displaced by a generation. How many of you own no CDs? Extra credit if you've NEVER owned one.
Why? What is wrong with CDs? I would never give up mine. The quality is better than with mp3 files and what is on the CD stays on the CD. iTunes has magic ways of disposing of tracks that were not purchased through iTunes or at least as mp3 files. Moreover there is loads of music on CDs that is not available as mp3 or other electronic files.

I noticed that Amazon recently changed the default music search result from CD to MP3. Now you need an extra click to get to the CD. If Jeff sez a format is kaput, then I guess it is, or soon will be.
Jeff may be a lovable guy and extremely wealthy too, but the fact of the matter is that Amazon has never, repeat neve,r made a profit to this day. I like Amazon but it remains an experiment and all it takes is lack of trust and the company goes puff. Great expectations is what Amazon was when it was launched and it still remains great expectations.

Well, it has been more than 3 decades, about the same length of time that the LP had primacy.
That may be a fact but it does not constitute an argument.

#8 ·
Why? What is wrong with CDs? I would never give up mine. The quality is better than with mp3 files and what is on the CD stays on the CD. iTunes has magic ways of disposing of tracks that were not purchased through iTunes or at least as mp3 files. Moreover there is loads of music on CDs that is not available as mp3 or other electronic files.
I own many CDs and LPs. I was just using a manner of speech in my effort to generate a discussion and better understand how far the transition away from CDs has gone.

Jeff may be a lovable guy and extremely wealthy too, but the fact of the matter is that Amazon has never, repeat neve,r made a profit to this day. I like Amazon but it remains an experiment and all it takes is lack of trust and the company goes puff. Great expectations is what Amazon was when it was launched and it still remains great expectations.
I just read the new book about _Amazon. He is anything but "a lovable guy," at least when measured against my values. Also, he explicitly manages his company for growth, not profits, for what it is worth.

That may be a fact but it does not constitute an argument.
I wasn't arguing about anything, just having a conversation. I know to many of us old-timers who were raised on LPs, CDs still, to some extent, seem "new," but in the grand scheme of things that isn't the case.

#24 · (Edited)
I own many CDs and LPs. I was just using a manner of speech in my effort to generate a discussion and better understand how far the transition away from CDs has gone.
I obviously didn't get that and would probably have worded it differently, but that might just be me.

I just read the new book about _Amazon. He is anything but "a lovable guy," at least when measured against my values. Also, he explicitly manages his company for growth, not profits, for what it is worth.
Growth, not profits, sounds like a definition of great expectations to me. BTW, I don't not know for a fact that he is lovable; just seems very popular.

I wasn't arguing about anything, just having a conversation. I know to many of us old-timers who were raised on LPs, CDs still, to some extent, seem "new," but in the grand scheme of things that isn't the case.
True. CD's are old but they would still serve a purpose, which is why it bothers me to see them go. Same for DVDs. Not even an enhanced physical device for storage. My Mac went AWOL yesterday after upgrading to Mavericks, which Apple instigated. The supports guys gave up after three hours on the phone and made me an appointment with the local "genius bar" por mañana. In the old days, I would have least been able to start the darn think up from a DVD, but now thanks to blistering internet speeds, which in the US rank on par with Botswana (no offense meant), all we need is a connection to the CLOUD or some other almighty site and we entrust our most precious files with them.

HA! I admit that was timely but surely a fluke.

#9 ·
Touche! Indeed, I still think of CDs as a newer thing, and it startled me when you mentioned they are three decades old. You are right, but that sort of sneaked up on me! I still have all my LPs in boxes; I just can't bring myself to throw them away. I loved records and buying albums, and CDs took me a while to grudgingly accept. Boy, I feel old!

#10 ·
Selmer Fudd, I completely relate to what you’re saying! Somehow, having music that is not on a medium like a LP or a CD doesn’t feel right.

I would never ever buy a MP3 download. I really like to own the object, the case, the printed booklet.

There was a time in which (Ah those foolish days!) I frequented many blogs where nice people were sharing their collection of rare records in a digital form, much of it in high resolution.

I still have a lot of those files and I even went through the trouble of burning several CD’s from them (you see where I am going), printing the booklets too and putting them in proper CD cases.

I do like having a USB memory stick in my car and with 8G I have more than enough music BUT I still buy (although a lot less than I did before) some CD’s. I just like owning a physical medium with music on it that I cannot wipe off.

Most of the times I listen to them once and then they go in the cupboard and become a feature of my music room.

On the other hand I understand the argument. My son does own a few CD’s but all of his music is on his computer and then he has spotify and other things like that, so, who needs to “ own” a CD?

I have a collection of vinyl records. Couple ofl hundreds. Do I still listen to them? Not really. I just own them. Soon I will be moving and this ownership will become a problem which will cost me also money to move and keep.

Same thing for books. I have a collection of Detective stories and Science fiction books. I have read them all, some several times. I am for the most part just keeping them. No time to read them and they are just there, in the bookcase.

I guess it has to do with my upbringing and the fact that when I was young these things, Books and Music, were objects of desire which were hard to come by.

Times are, as usual, A changing. Panta Rei os potamos.

#15 ·
Selmer Fudd, I completely relate to what you're saying! Somehow, having music that is not on a medium like a LP or a CD doesn't feel right.

I would never ever buy a MP3 download. I really like to own the object, the case, the printed booklet.

There was a time in which (Ah those foolish days!) I frequented many blogs where nice people were sharing their collection of rare records in a digital form, much of it in high resolution.

I still have a lot of those files and I even went through the trouble of burning several CD's from them (you see where I am going), printing the booklets too and putting them in proper CD cases.

I do like having a USB memory stick in my car and with 8G I have more than enough music BUT I still buy (although a lot less than I did before) some CD's. I just like owning a physical medium with music on it that I cannot wipe off.

Most of the times I listen to them once and then they go in the cupboard and become a feature of my music room.

On the other hand I understand the argument. My son does own a few CD's but all of his music is on his computer and then he has spotify and other things like that, so, who needs to " own" a CD?

I have a collection of vinyl records. Couple ofl hundreds. Do I still listen to them? Not really. I just own them. Soon I will be moving and this ownership will become a problem which will cost me also money to move and keep.

Same thing for books. I have a collection of Detective stories and Science fiction books. I have read them all, some several times. I am for the most part just keeping them. No time to read them and they are just there, in the bookcase.

I guess it has to do with my upbringing and the fact that when I was young these things, Books and Music, were objects of desire which were hard to come by.

Times are, as usual, A changing. Panta Rei os potamos.
+1

Sent from my thumbs

#16 ·
We have several hundreds of them, but all are "ripped" to a NAS, from where we can pull them onto our smartphones, USB drive for the car, or play them directly on Squeezeboxes spread all over the home. We still buy now and then, specially those nice multi-album boxed sets.
It is true that the industry has been very lousy in promoting the move to dematerialization, which is a paradox for a dematerialized artform ! From all the recent albums I have bought purely dematerialized, only 1 came with a pdf booklet. They still want trucks and warehouses for music. C'est du passé, les gars !

#17 ·
I've owned (and still own) LPs, reel-to-reel tapes, 4- and 8-track tapes, cassette tapes, CDs, and now MP3s. Most of the vinyl, tape, and CD has now been converted to MP3 format. Like dex, I purchase what music I want on whatever format has it available, and digitize it from there. As far as the audio quality argument goes, I could write a lengthy post about that, but will save it for another time.

#20 ·
Yeah, I need to get a turntable - haven't had one for years and I have some records that just aren't on CD. I hear you Milandro and others here: I buy CDs and keep a few of the cases in the car, regularly switch around and listen. I recently found a few jazz sax compilation CDs for $2.50 each and felt like I scored! I am going to get the new Snarky Puppy release but I will buy the CD (daughter rolls eyes). :)

#25 ·
Nice...looks a lot like the Rega deck I used to own. I sold all my LPs and my player in college for beer money. I'm not that smart anymore.

#22 ·
CD's !!!!!!!!!!!!!!???? That blasphemy of a plastic coaster?

All of my recorded music is recorded off course, in the one and only ultimate sound experience that is wax cylinders. Every audiophile knows that only wax cylinders provide the quality to record the true nature of sound, everything invented after is just bad imitations!

Ok now for real, i own like 10 cd's I guess. My collection of jazz it's on an external hardisk, almost 5000 albums. And some are "rare" because they are from vinyl's that are hard to find. If i had the money i would buy all my albums in vinyl!

#26 ·
Sorry, but I cannot honk in this thread. I recently "downsized" from 400+ records to "only" 500+ CDs.

I am curious what you, of the media-less persuasion, use for listening environments? Do you use home stereos, car stereo, or ear buds?

#27 ·
Since I don't have any recorded media I mainly listen to Youtube through a stereo system.
My computer and cable box both run through one monitor and i switch video inputs.
I have a DA converter box that can switch between digital audio inputs.
I use optical from the cable and USB from the computer.
I run the analog sound to a Behringer mini mixer, (acts as a preamp/volume control) to my Yamaha power amp and out to Sony towers.

#29 ·
In a few years, I will have converted a small room behind my garage as my music room. It will house over a thousand CDs, many books, and a reasonable sound system. I thought about putting my CDs into books, but I can't do that. I will put most of my DVDs into a book though. How many hours a day I will get to spend in this room is anyone's guess.

#30 ·
BTW, does anyone here have a copy of Bob Beldon's band covering Puccini's Turandot? It was reviewed really well back in the 1980's on downbeat, but it never made it's way beyond a limited Japanese release (from what I understand), due to the Puccini family's insistence that it not be released (again, from what I understand).

#33 ·
Can't honk either. Not only CDs but also LPs, 45s, eight-tracks, cassettes. I wish I had some of my mother's 78s.

#36 ·
Like some of the others, I have a little of everything...some stray cassettes, a few old lps, a bunch of CDs, and an assortment of other digital formats (iTunes, mp3, etc). One thing about CDs, when your other storage devices crash or get lost you still got those CDs. Same with vinyl, a CD can get a bad scratch in the wrong place and become unplayable. Get a scratch on vinyl, maybe it affects one or two songs.

#37 ·
I still have about 100 Jazz CD's that I bought, plus about 500 CD's I copied from the library, mainly classical. I went through them recently and sold some after them converting them to digital. I sold my LP's 10 years ago. I'm in the process of digitizing my audio cassettes, about 100 of them. I probably have 1000+ albums in digital format, mainly mp3 but some WAV.

I read that some classical companies are offering lossless format digital recordings for download from their sites, so I guess soon mp3's will become redundant. I think FLAC seems to be a popular format because it is lossless and smaller than WAV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.