Sax on the Web Forum banner

a sad farewell to my Mk1 Jubilee :(

4K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  AlistairD 
#1 ·
Hi the Borg.
I sold my lovely Jubilee 101J today . Very, very sad to see it go. My main horn for the last four years.
Wonderful that it has gone to a good home... but as every one of these horns has their own little thing going on it makes them very hard to part with.

Farewell 101 J .
Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument

See less See more
#3 ·
It will make someone very happy. I know the ones that I sold (I've owned three) have.

#5 ·
Hi Bop.
You may recall some time back (4 years)...my Borgani Ponzol tenor, taking a very bad smack. When that first happened I sent the neck to Karsten Gloger to be re-made.
Me old mate griff was off fighting pirates in the Caribbean :) ...I took the body to two repair guys who did not instill any level of confidence in doing the job.
Just before xmas I sent some pictures of the body to Karsten and he sent back an email saying "I can do this, no problem" in feb I was in Amsterdam for 5 days and on one of those days I took the horn to Groningen where Karsten's workshop is. I dropped it off with him at about 11am and at 6 pm he called me to say it was all done.
It is now 101% back to where it was.
Having two horns like that is just greedy :)

P.S the bars museum and town square (20-25 min walk away from the workshop) is a lovely place to hang for a day :)

#10 ·
I think this happens a fair bit with Borgani tenors !
If you were to buy one, expecting for it to perform to 100% of its capability...right out of the box, just like a Yamaha.
"Its easy for me to see why other boutique manufacturer's use Yamaha key-work." :)

So what are you buying ? For me its a Hand Made body made from what my dad would call Victorian quality brass. And a bore size and shape that I adore the sound of... not just at the bottom or top but over the whole range including altissimo.
Recently we have seen Gorges Jubilee on the bench... it has made me wonder if one could develop a self tapping rod end and pivot screw upgrade system. I find it bonkers that we have to put up with this kind of stuff in this day and age.

If you have owned a Borgani that is playing at its best, it is truly up there with the legend horns of the past... and for me now it has surpassed all of my vintage Selmer dreams. When the Ponzol had the accident, I had the chance to replace it with two Mk6's or any other brand new horn on the market. I settled with the insurance company with a second-hand Jubilee Vintage and to keep the damaged Ponzol. I have spent much more money repairing the Ponzol Borg than I did buying it in the first place.
Art Themen , who is a friend of a friend has a handful of cracking vintage horns, has been gigging on his Borgani tenor for quite some years now. I would class it as the only Tenor to break the Selmer spell on the pro Jazz scene here in the U.K.

#9 ·
Yep, it seems like the adage "Once a Borg owner , always a Borg owner " is pretty well universal with owners - very few "leave"( for long!), or so it seems ?

Thanks for being the source of my Mk1 Leon- still the best horn I have played ...am I am still loving it.....especially the Sound!

Blowhard2

#11 ·
Yea playing owning a borg is special. Handmade Italian horns are just so much different. Very one offs. I still love borgs. Just got a used Rampone & Cazzani R1 Jazz tenor, again its very in its own vibe. I admit you really need to zone in on these brands as like I say there miles away from a Selmer but there sound is worth it.

#15 ·
Congrats and condolences. I think you should have kept both, but I admit that when it comes to saxes, I utterly lack self-restraint. It is amazing what guys like Glöger can do. I have seen several before and after examples of Peter Jessen working on horns that seemed well beyond salvation, but it appears that, as long as most of the keyword can be salvaged, it it not a great deal for guys with the proper skills. If numerous keys are to be remade, it can be cost prohibitive unless the customers doesn't mind paying. Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.