Sax on the Web Forum banner

HN White C melody date questions

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  soybean 
#1 ·
Just picked up a silver plated with gold keys c melody engraved "King" by HN White under that is small cleveland under that is "o"...no "co" so I understand that should be pre 1918. The serial number is 39XXX wich seems to be earlier than the king horns starting with 50,000. I am guessing 1912/13 maybe???

Any ideas? Nice engraving on bell, nice finish and practically no dings...needs pads and some rods and springs...less than $100 in it now.I can do 95% of refurbish myself...neck is near perfect, no pull down nor damage...pretty much a polish and octave pad plus cork!

No mouthpiece but I have a collection of tenor mouthpieces to try. Should I look for a C mp? I guess it is worth restoring, any idea on finished value...though I know it will be a keeper so value is probably a moot point!!!

Thanks!

#7 ·
I have a King C tenor from the same era. Both the original mouthpiece and the replacement mouthpiece I bought 30 years ago from Lyons mail order sound dull and lifeless.
You can push the C melody toward an alto sound with an alto mouthpiece, or toward a tenor sound with a tenor mouthpiece. You can get a decent modern sound with something from the Rico Royal line of mouthpieces: A5, A7, B5, or B7 in both alto and tenor mouthpieces for under $20 each! A models are darker (large chamber), and B models are a bit brighter (medium chamber). Smaller numbers have less open tips, and larger numbers have more open tips.
You might choose a mouthpiece that you normally use on the instrument you play more often, alto or tenor, and you will get accustomed to the idiosyncrasies of the C sax faster on a mouthpiece that you know well.
Some suggestions... your mileage may vary.
Sax Magic

#10 ·
Resurrection, I have this horn sitting right next to me with a 34113 serial number, and estimating from all sources available, that number must be 1912-1913 as....all sources state that 0-50,000 was from 1898-1915.

My bell does say "H.N. White Co." clearly

As far as a mouthpiece, if you want modern sound, just buy a FAXX C-Mel mouthpiece from sources on Ebay or elsewhere (Google it) and if you want to really spice it up, use a Fibrereed Medium (3-3.5). Now, I say this not having played the King just yet as I just go this one in, but on my Buescher and Conn NWII, those mouthpiece configurations work great.

I prefer a vintage mouthpiece from the 20s with the Fibrereed, takes very little air to play and tons of control especially after you work on your embouchure. You have to take a large bite with a C-Mel mouthpiece, it's way different from a Tenor where you are seemingly playing on the tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.