Sax on the Web Forum banner

Trying out a couple of mics and preamps

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jaker 
#1 ·
The majority of us hanging here have some kind of recording setup. Aside from playing sax I operate a small business doing live sound and location recordings.

I made a test with a couple of mics ranging from ultra cheap to the 600euro range. Both tube mics and LDC and SDCs. With preamps ranging from again ultra cheap (behringer 22euros per channel) to mid priced (Golden age 260euros for 1 channel).

I'm playing through In a sentimental mood. Please excuse my playing I'm recovering from a cold and I'm not that good to begin with (I messed up the bridge three times) The point is the nuances and characteristics gets through.

The mics are:
T.bone sct700 (Same mic as nady, alctron and pretty much all other cheapt tube mics) If you know your way around a soldering iron a tube swap works wonders in these. I just got mine I will upgrade the tube and put a true U47 circuit + new capsule in it.

Mxl 990 These mics truly suck in it's original state. I have removed two layers of mesh from the head basket. And upgraded all electronics in the signal path. I don't recommend this mic if you don't want to mod it. There's better mics at this price. But after the work I put in it sounds pretty good.

Audio technica 4033. The first condenser under 1000usd. This has been a mainstay in studios since the early 90's. I heard it's a favorite in banjos in nashville. If I'm being picky it's not my go to mic for horns. I think it brings out parts of the mid freq I don't really like. Otherwise a really good mic.

Milab vm41 A handmade swedish mic made in the late 80's these are pretty rare to see. by the mid 90's these were replaced by the vm44 and they are still in production. I bought these for other applications but I figured I throw them in the mix.

Preamps.

Golden age pre73 A stab at the famous neve 1073. This one costs more than my audio interface.

ADA8000 is a 8 channel AD DA extension to add 8 channels via light pipe. People have discussed these at length on forums for a decade. Some love em others hate em.

Focusrite pro 24. My interface. I like it coz it's halfrack sized with the option to add 2 more pres via inputs, 8 more via adat and 2 more via spdif.

Listen in 1080 on good speakers or headphones and leave a comment.

See less See more
#5 ·
Re: Trying out a couple of mice and preamps

Just updated to OS X mavericks. The spellcheck is Killing me

(Fixed the title)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.