P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Anybody tried the current "Mendini" Bari Sax

Distinguished SOTW Member CashSax's Avatar

Default Anybody tried the current "Mendini" Bari Sax

I recall yrs ago when I first saw the "Mendini" name the horns were just junk..The current Mendini Bari doesn't look too bad and a lot have been sold. Great price $1300+change..I've never seen a used one, or a review. They're sold in the USA too. I'm considering a cheaper bari and don't want to blow a wad on a beat up vintage or big 4 horn. Also considering the Tai Shan winds 680 as I know the reviews are fine on that horn. Also the Schiller Elite IV (also sold in the US) is very interesting, but again..no reviews from credible players on that Bari either.
    Cash's Demo Recordings circa '98-'01
    www.box.net/cashsax

Default Re: Anybody tried the current "Mendini" Bari Sax

Isn't that the amazon deal I was asking about on another thread? I think so.

Yep let's see what we can find out, I been curious about these horns for quite awhile..never know, we could start a Mendini Club

I'll keep an eye on your inquiry too.
    www.box.net/cashsax

I've been studying the photos carefully and scrutinizing the Mendini. The horn looks very much like the Yamaha 52 to me, a good clone anyway. I like the full rib construction which I don't think the TaiShan has. They claim the Mendini is play tested at the factory and again in California and shipped from California with a 30 day money back guarantee. I live in Nevada so if I ship it back it wouldn't break the bank. It's $1299.99 otd..plus free shipping.. thats $200. less than the cheapest Taishans, also the Mendini doesn't come engraved or with a spare neck and a german mouthpiece but I really don't care about that stuff (I have a good Runyon)

My thoughts are shifting I think. I'm still saving my bread but I may pull the trigger on a Mendini in a few weeks. In the meantime if anyone has even played or seen one up close let us know..
    www.box.net/cashsax

I think I saw a two year warranty from amazon. But, I may be wrong. Check first, things change fast.

You peeked my curiosity.

First comment, if you look at the search page for baritone sax, you'll see the same photograph for the Mendini and Cecilio, the latter being 2x the price. No wonder they have 10 left.

And as you clearly realize, buying a sax that's already in the country or with a US dealer cuts the risk considerably. The other contender is Palo Tung's Crescent. More expensive but it will be delivered in top condition.
    Robert Steinberg
    Piano, Saxophone, MidiOpera.com

Palo does not have a whole lot of info on the bari and the website is outdated..makes me a little nervous..I want to know his source if possible China ?? Taiwan ?? Tai Shan ?? his photos are nonexistant..how the heck would you know what you are getting..? too many designer brands are simply a stamped "brand" on a less costly horn. For example my $399. Tai Shan Bronze straight sop is identical to the Bauhaus Walstein ($1100.)

Oh yeah Btw eBay has the Mendini bari sold through K&K music in California at $1299.99 otd and they seem to have them in stock..
    www.box.net/cashsax

Not much input so far Bari on the "Mendini" they got a 30 day return policy. I'm getting tempted to try one. They list $1299 or best offer. How low would they go? if it really sucks I could send back and would not be out too much. The "used" bari mkt under 2k is bleak.
    www.box.net/cashsax

I've had kids come to lessons with the Cecilio saxes, they play ok and they are not falling apart. The Purple lacquered saxes are killer.

bluesman thanks for some input..couple yrs ago I wouldn't have touched any Chinese sax with a ten ft pole. I bought a sop from China not too long ago, and it's a surprisingly good horn for the price of a mpc, both design and build quality are fine...To top it off the horn plays in tune bottom to top and is quite capable in a pro situation.

The Mendini bari certainly "looks" pretty decent with ribbed contruction that I like and good photos to look at. I might have to be the first sotw'er to try one. I started the curved Venus Sop trend a few yrs back..there were no reviews or feedback on that horn either..I bought one on a whim and everybody laughed..then I found out what a good little horn it was..pretty soon everybody got one..still gets good reviews.

My other option is the Tai Shan baritone, it's a little fancier in the keywork and different finish options plus 2 necks and a "german" mpc which I don't need. Also a few hundred more in price and no good way to return it if I don't like it.

Thanks again for your "review" bluesman, cheers to you and the kids..

PS I played Buddy Guy's Legends club yrs ago in Chicago with the Dynatones.
    www.box.net/cashsax