P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: FS ~ Conn/Pan American 'New Wonder' style stencil Tenor, Silverplate

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Default FS ~ Conn/Pan American 'New Wonder' style stencil Tenor, Silverplate

Got this one almost all ready to go, just waiting on a pad shipment; she should be ready to ship w/i the week.

This is a Conn/PanAm stencil "O.J. Dost, Studio Model, Milwaukee, WI"...which is basically a PanAm version of the New Wonder 1, from the early-mid 20's based upon the serial P 21,XXX. Nice silverplating, around 85% coverage on body, 95% on keys. Pretty engraving, and plating is in excellent shape. Just the typical minor scratches here and there.

Got the usual...breakdown, chem bath, hand-polish, swedging, dentwork, and will have an entire repad with Prestinis with metal resos. She has a few resolders to some posts here and there, they are cleanly done.

Pic shows it absent one post and the fork Eb key.....am currently having a new post fabricated because the original was missing when we rec'd her.

Horn has the G# trill, aforementioned Eb fork as well. No front F, although for an add'l $75 I would be happy to add one....the touch and rocker would be nickel plated, as opposed to the silverplating of the keys, but one would have to look hard to notice this.

Also the neck tenon was split when we got her so the neck has a new tenon.

We did manage to get some notes out of her with the old pads still in and the Eb and C# holes plugged.....she has that wonderful, classic old Conn New Wonder tone....very wide, dark, with some cojones behind it.

Guaranteed to play up and down with ease, no issues beyond those mentioned above. Toneholes level, body tube plumb, keywork and rollers free and snappy.

Comes with a hardshell case in fair but usable condition.

$450 plus shipping from Portland, OR.

Paypal, US Postal MO, or bank cashier's check are accepted forms of payment.

I will ship internationally.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

Forum Contributor 2012

Default Re: FS ~ Conn/Pan American 'New Wonder' style stencil Tenor, Silverplate

Mo' Pics....

Default Re: FS ~ Conn/Pan American 'New Wonder' style stencil Tenor, Silverplate

hi
    would it be possible to have some pcs of left hand plate?
    and i don't understand this
    "Pic shows it absent one post and the fork Eb key."

thanks
    Tenor : BA selmer with early Babbit rubber link
    Soprano: Mark VI selmer with bari 68

Forum Contributor 2012

Pic attached, although the G# touch is also being altered to move it into closer proximity to the C# and B touches.

Regarding your second Q, the horn has a fork Eb key, so it has the extra tonehole and keycup on the left side of the body tube (just above the tube/bow ferrule in the second photo of the horn, above ~ "Dost2").

The Fork Eb key is held by a pair of posts, the upper one is present; the lower one, which also holds the bottom of the C# key barrel, was missing...so my tech is whipping up a new one which will of course be installed in the next few days.

I just decided to post the ad now as I am waiting on the pads.

thanks for the info it's really a nice looking horn.;i could be intrested, as a back up fo my balanced,( although my priority is to find a new wonder bari or coon stencil).

Distinguished SOTW Member rsclosson's Avatar

That is one BEAUTIFUL looking horn! JayePDX is a great guy to deal with and his saxes always end up being better than he describes!
    1955 Olds Opera Tenor (Buffet Dynaction
    Lamberson J7 Vintage Brass Selmer Ligature
    Rico Orange 3 (Reedgeeked) or Fibracell Med Soft

Distinguished SOTW Member Mike Cesati's Avatar

new PM sent.

I might be interested in it. I have a few questions about it. Sending you a pm now.

Forum Contributor 2012

Hi. Both PM's replied to, thanks fellas.

another pm !

Distinguished SOTW Member Mike Cesati's Avatar

After talking to the seller today I am buying this tenor and payment is going out in the morning . Thanks

Forum Contributor 2012

Yup. sale pending folks. Thanks for your interest.

I recognize that I am a little late on this, but I would like to include this sax in the Pan American serial number dating study. It is still possible to get a complete serial number and the patent information?

Thanks

Forum Contributor 2012

Crap...I don't think I recorded that serial before I sold her. However, I did just get in another PanAm stencil, a lacquer one. I will PM you with that info tomorrow.