Sax on the Web Forum banner

New Yanagisawa WO Series Alto Saxophones - Replaces the A90x & A99x series altos

35K views 69 replies 23 participants last post by  DaveKessler 
#1 ·
http://www.kesslermusic.com/yanagisawa/wo/alto.htm

Announcing the new Yanagisawa WO Series Alto Saxophones!

These new models build on the previous (and now discontinued) A90x & A99x series altos with some bore & mechanical refinements. These new models will be available starting in March 2014. All of the A9xx series altos have been discontinued and replaced with an equivalent WO series horn.

The new WO Series is currently ONLY available on the Alto Saxes.

#57 ·
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that comment about different materials for the two new models as being different materials when compared to the oder models, NOT that the two new models each had different materials. I can understand using a different brass for the whole line of new models but I can't understand how they'd mix two different materials between the two new models - unless they greatly expanded their factory OR engaged in costly material-switches when building each of the two new models.

Confusing, huh? DAVE

#59 ·
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I read that comment about different materials for the two new models as being different materials when compared to the oder models, NOT that the two new models each had different materials.
Well, Dave K's statement is pretty unambiguous. There is a brass difference between the WO1 and the WO10.

I can understand using a different brass for the whole line of new models but I can't understand how they'd mix two different materials between the two new models - unless they greatly expanded their factory OR engaged in costly material-switches when building each of the two new models.
I can't understand it either, which is why it's fascinating!

#63 ·
I decided to sell up all my Mark VI gear and went for a S991 soprano. I tried many of the new Yani altos at a launch day a few months back and went to sax.co.uk yesterday to try one with a view to buying. They didn't have all the variations on show and many were not to my taste anyway but overall, I liked the basic AWO1 best of all and bought that. I did try the AWO20 bronze neck on it and that was a nice combo so I may look out for one in due course. I actually liked the brass best - it just seemed to speak quickly and I preferred the lighter feel of the AWO1 over the AWO10 - it somehow felt more like a vintage horn, albeit with modern keywork. I'm very pleased with it. The case is great too!

#65 ·
I don't feel the bronze horns to be more resistant. There is a subtle richness to the tone which is a matter of personal taste whether you prefer it or not. The solid silver ones are different again but it's not a sound I personally like - it's a bit hi-fi somehow and not a classic sound to my ears. Our band MD usually plays a mostly solid silver Yani alto and I don't especially like the sound of it. One week she borrowed a A992 and I looked up to see what she was playing as it sounded so much better to me. The differences are all a bit subtle but IMHO the standard brass horns are in no way inferior and perhaps have more of a classic sound. Nice of Yanagisawa to give us the choice and you can get some of it with a different crook. Best of all to find a dealer with a few to try and see what you think.

#66 ·
Well, just thought I'd chime in with my brief comments...I'm a huge Yanagisawa fan, but never had an alto from them. I spotted a great deal on some of the end of line 992s etc, so went along to play a few yesterday. Tried a couple of unlaquered 992s and didn't really connect with them. Nice players, but just didn't get much of a buzz from them (I do like shiny though!). However the new AW020 was a different ballgame...very nice in all ranges, great vibe (Yanis always seem to vibrate in my hands more than other horns) and really nice straight out of the box. I traded my Ref 54 there and then.

#67 ·
@DaveKessler

I read with great interest the Blog post about the WO series, very informative, thanks!
... but...what about the UL version and what are your thoughts on it?
There is a specific reason why you do not have the UL for sale?

Thanks

#68 ·
We can absolutely order them... they are just not typically brought in to the USA. They run the same cost as the AWO20 lacquered.

However, I always recommend that a customer call me before flat out buying an AWO20... many people make the mistake of saying "this model is more expensive which means it must be better". This is flawed logic, especially in relationship to Yanagisawa saxes. All of their horns are pro handmade horns... the difference in the models has to do with resistance vs. ease of blow. The right model is relative to the player. So for instance, players who are used to Selmer Mark VI's and Selmer Reference 54 models will tend to LOVE the AWO20 (as the previous poster mentioned) as they are used to a horn that makes them "push" a little more. However, the Yamaha player might find the AWO20 TOO heavy and resistant for them and their mouthpiece.

Feel free to give me a call or email me (music@kesslermusic.com) to discuss your needs further. If you want my take on which Yani model best suits you, also include your current setup (sax, mouthpiece, reed, lig) so that I can have a frame of reference for you as a player and then in whatever terms you want to use, describe what you are seeking in performance terms in a new sax.

#69 ·
Thanks Dave !

I was just curious about your opinions on UL version and why you do not have them in stock...

Because in Italy, I look at Matthew's as one of Yanagisawa dealers and noticed that they have in stock the UL version of A-W01 & 02 but not the A-W010 & 020 UL ...

If the A-W02 is so responsive as you say, I'm wondering how the A-W02 UL would sing!

#70 ·
As I mentioned in my original reply, they just are not typically brought in to the USA. This is a decision by their USA agent, Conn-Selmer.

Personally, I do not believe the cosmetic finish (or lack thereof) makes a true impact on the sound as heard by someone out in front of the horn. However, I believe that it does affect the vibration and feedback that the player gets off of the horn (vibration in their hands, off of their mouthpiece, feedback from the horn) which is why people believe there is a difference. It's more an aspect of perception than really a sound difference.

We have done the side by side test every time we have had a special ordered unlacquered horn come in (against the lacquered counterpart) and every time, we have found this to be the case.

Also, unlacquered horns will "tarnish" while sitting on the shelf in the case and in the USA, MOST people want a shiny new horn when they plop down that much cheddar.

So that's why we will order them, but not keep on hand.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.