Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: which reeds do you guys prefer? filed or unfiled?

Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteSax View Post
    If this were true, then the best cane would be found in strength #5 reeds...
    I don't follow your logic. It seems that you just made a definition of "best". The only thing about the #5 is that it is the stiffest. Having the highest stiffness (grade) number does not warrant its color or quality.

If you make that #5 into a 2.5, it'll be thin. That's all.

For me, the "Best" is the one that works and, ideally, lasts a long time while playing at optimum performance.

P.S. I prefer to play filed, aka "double cut", reeds.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

Interesting responses...

I generally prefer the unfiled reeds for a couple reasons. I feel I get a little more pop or bite (not necessarily brightness) with the unfiled reeds. Another reason I like unfiled reeds, is because I can always remove a bit of additional bark myself when I want to get a more unfiled response. If the reed is already double-cut, you can only play it the one way.

I think the unfiled reeds may tend towards a more vintage sound, that robust tone with a bit of bite like Coleman Hawkins, Sonny Rollins, Dexter Gordon. Unfiled reeds do have a bit freer response, sometimes this helps with the lower register. When I play double-cut reeds, it seems like the sound is more balanced maybe a bit less "tubby."

As far as working on reeds, it's a very personal thing. For playing jazz styles, I like to do the minimum tinkering possible to get the sound I want. I think there's a lot of value in knowing various reed adjustment techniques because you can make a lot more reeds playable and tailor the response to suit your needs. On my present alto mouthpiece pretty much any reed plays a bit stuffy and out-of-balance. The simple process of balancing the reed to that mouthpiece makes the sound come alive.
    Alto: YAS23, Greg Wier NY 6m
    Tenor: Selmer (Elkhart) 164, Saxscape FatCat Proto
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1122869

Quote Originally Posted by fsaxwas9 View Post
    For playing jazz styles, I like to do the minimum tinkering possible to get the sound I want.
    Close enough for jazz???

Quote Originally Posted by fsaxwas9 View Post
    On my present alto mouthpiece pretty much any reed plays a bit stuffy and out-of-balance. The simple process of balancing the reed to that mouthpiece makes the sound come alive.
    That sounds like a mouthpiece that would benefit from a tuneup.
    Go for The Tone,

g

"When you are doing well, don't forget to do good." - Sichan Siv.

Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 2013-Present diesel11679's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr G View Post
    For me, the "Best" is the one that works and, ideally, lasts a long time while playing at optimum performance.

+3 I play filed on soprano, alto and tenor
    TENOR: Couf Superba 1 (1986), PMS Handmade Guardala MB
    ALTO: Selmer Paris Super Action 80 (1985), Phil-Tone Rift
    SOPRANO: Yanagisawa S6 (1977), SopranoPlanet Axieme
    MIC: AMT WI5IIC EFFECTS: TC Helicon VoiceLive 3
    INTERFACE: RME Babyface IEMS: 1964Ears V6

“You can't speak Music with notes alone, but you can speak Music without notes at all!" Victor L. Wooten

Distinguished SOTW member/Official SOTW Sister bandmommy's Avatar

Some brands that I like are filed, some are not.
    For clarinet and alto it seems that I use/prefer filed reeds. For tenor and bari I have only unfiled.
    If they offered Rico Orange box in a filed version I'd probably have to say that I prefer filed reeds across the board.
    Old reed players are like fine wine. They only get better with age. Tom Hagen

Play the Music, not the instrument.

Close enough for jazz???

That sounds like a mouthpiece that would benefit from a tuneup.

To my comment about minimum tinkering, for jazz I tend to play a reed strength that's pretty good out of the box or after a brief break-in period. I think a lot of jazz guys tend to like a reed that's pretty much ready to go out of the box. I like just a bit of extra resistance at first.

If I was playing my classical setup, I usually started with a reed half or maybe even a full strength above what I actually played on. Reed gets broken in, balanced, and adjusted for the appropriate response in different registers. They do tend to last longer, but it's also a more involved process.
    Alto: YAS23, Greg Wier NY 6m
    Tenor: Selmer (Elkhart) 164, Saxscape FatCat Proto
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...bandID=1122869

I don't follow your logic. It seems that you just made a definition of "best". The only thing about the #5 is that it is the stiffest. Having the highest stiffness (grade) number does not warrant its color or quality.

If you make that #5 into a 2.5, it'll be thin. That's all.

Exactly. I used to buy 4s and 5s vdoren traditionals and try to cut them to 3-3.5. I never liked the result. There was either a problem in the middle register or the high notes. i finally just started buying the appropriate strength and finding a good reed, and just balancing them.

BTW, I know that Harvey Pittel advocates cutting down reeds. I just disagree with him on this.
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Hi Meyer - Thanks for your feedback. Im hoping the multi packs include filed reeds. Im keen to hear any difference if its apparent. As far as working on reeds i dont see the point. If they dont work find ones that do.

Quote Originally Posted by dawson View Post
    Hi Meyer - Thanks for your feedback. Im hoping the multi packs include filed reeds. Im keen to hear any difference if its apparent. As far as working on reeds i dont see the point. If they dont work find ones that do.
    You're welcome. I work on reeds, because I believe in making the best out of a bad reed (in a nutshell, making a bad reed sound good, transforming it from the worst reed in the box to the best reed in the box. The reed of the reeds.)

Distinguished SOTW Member artstove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by booboo5000 View Post
    I play both filed and unfiled and don't have a strong preference for one or the other.
    Same here. I use filed on clarinet (Vandoren traditional), and was using them on tenor (Java Red), but just switched back to unfiled (Java Green) because the strength is a better match for my current setup. I use unfiled (Java Green) on alto. One of my tenor mouthpieces seemed to prefer Rico Jazz Select, and I was using filed ones on that. Not that what I do should be a model for anyone else...

Distinguished SOTW Member ratracer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawson View Post
    Yes mine are on the way please keep me posted on how your getting along. Has Rico quality suffered of recent years ? Any murmers out there in music land ? Or is it just me ?
    My order of th Vandoren sample pack came in about two weeks ago. Unfortunately, my axe was at the tech a day or so after they were delivered and was at the shop for a week. Now that I've got it back I'll check out these Vandorens and report my experience.

A freshly adjusted sax should give them a fair shake.

ANy update ?

Distinguished Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Unfiled. They have more body to the sound.
    Tenor:
    Selmer Mark VI, Ted Klum Focustone Solid Silver Handcrafted 0.108" mpc, Rigotti Gold 3M reeds, Marc Jean ligature

Distinguished SOTW Technician. Oric Muso's Avatar

I don't know how so much variation can be attributed to a bit of the reed that doesn't do anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Oric Muso View Post
    I don't know how so much variation can be attributed to a bit of the reed that doesn't do anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by hakukani View Post
    When asked about the choice of filed vs. unfiled, I always think of Jebediah Nightlinger, the cook in "The Cowboys", who put three slashes on the crust of his apple pie---one for steam, and two because that's how momma did it.
    This...
    Sound guy theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- 3dB)
    Sax player theory of relativity: E=mc^2 (+or- .010" at the tip)
    "Free jazz is the vegemite of the musical world. It's an acquired taste."-J. Jacques

Forum Contributor 2013 1953SBAALTO's Avatar

Depends on the mouthpiece. On my Link (tenor) and Meyer (alto) I prefer filed reeds, but find very little difference. On my Dukoff and Berg (both tenor) I find I get a better response with unfiled reeds. The Jody Jazz DV (alto) sitting my drawer will squeal like there is no tomorrow if I get anywhere near it with a filed reed.
    "It is a question of time, patience, and intelligent work." - Marcel Moyse
    "Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent." - Victor Hugo

Alto: Selmer SBA: Meyer 6M (Phil-Toned)
    Tenor: Selmer Series II: Phil Tone Tribute .110
    Soprano: Selmer Series II Black Lacquer: Theo Wanne Gaia 7
    Bari: No horn yet, but I've got a Link...

I play filed reeds. I've never tried unfiled reeds. I'm a classical player, and I'm not sure if there are any unfiled classical reeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Oric Muso View Post
    According to Rico the whole reed is involved in producing the vibrating sound. Their words not mine.

"- The entire length of the reed vibrates; too much ligature pressure can stifle the vibration, so be careful when tightening the screw(s)."

http://www.ricoreeds.com/woodwindsRe...?ActiveID=4682

...always feeling more comfortable with unfiled reeds (Vandoren Java, Rigotti Gold and Gonzalez Local 627).
    Vandoren Red Java were a complete fail for me, and Rico Royals always feel like a piece of cardboard after a short period of time.
    Tenor: 1935 Conn 10M, 1946 Holton 241, Saxscape FatCat, Mouthpiece Cafe Slant Supreme

I like this one, comes from another thread on sotw;

Rascher_Reed.jpg

...definitely unfiled ;-))
    Tenor: 1935 Conn 10M, 1946 Holton 241, Saxscape FatCat, Mouthpiece Cafe Slant Supreme

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast