Sax on the Web Forum banner

Yani 991 vs Cannonbell Vintage Reborn Vs PMauriat

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  davidk 
#1 ·
Hi folks, where I am, P-Mauriatts have gone up a lot, and Cannonballs no longer have a dealer. I'm looking to step up, but am trying to keep things under $4k if possible. I tried both P-Mauriatts and Cannonballs, and the one I liked the best was the Cannonball Vintage Reborn, but now they aren't around. I just heard Mike Allen gigging on his Yani (not sure of the model) and was blown away, had no idea they could sound that nice. Much closer to what I want than I've ever heard from a Yamaha. (Obviously that's mostly Mike, but still it says something that he now gigs on a Yani instead of his previous vintage horn) There's a Yani 991 for only a few hundred more than a P-Mauriatt near here.

Wondering if anyone can comment from experience on comparing these three as I won't by the looks of it be able to test them side by side.

Oh yeah, I'm looking for something in a reasonably dark jazz sound, def not brash. Tone heroes of mine are Getz, Prez, Courtney Pine, Zoot, (yeah I know that's quite the spread...)

thanks for the help!
Iain

#2 ·
Never played a P-Mouriatts, but did play a Yani Tenor (I believe a 991). I didn't like the Yani, because it felt clunky and the tone did nothing for me (whether I played it or the dealer played it). I went with the CB Vintage CE in dark honey amber. I wasn't thrilled with the MPC that came with it and went with a Jody Jazz HR* 5 (.095) since I'm new to the Sax (played clarinet for about 5 years). Depending on the ligature, Rovner Dark vs. the Rico H, I get two different tones/timbers...both very well centered and project well. The Rovner gives a tone like thick molasses with just a touch of edge; I'd say the Rico still is lush and smooth, but has a bite to it. It was love at first note.

#3 ·
Hi folks, where I am, P-Mauriatts have gone up a lot, and Cannonballs no longer have a dealer. I'm looking to step up, but am trying to keep things under $4k if possible. I tried both P-Mauriatts and Cannonballs, and the one I liked the best was the Cannonball Vintage Reborn, but now they aren't around. I just heard Mike Allen gigging on his Yani (not sure of the model) and was blown away, had no idea they could sound that nice. Much closer to what I want than I've ever heard from a Yamaha. (Obviously that's mostly Mike, but still it says something that he now gigs on a Yani instead of his previous vintage horn) There's a Yani 991 for only a few hundred more than a P-Mauriatt near here.

Wondering if anyone can comment from experience on comparing these three as I won't by the looks of it be able to test them side by side.

Oh yeah, I'm looking for something in a reasonably dark jazz sound, def not brash. Tone heroes of mine are Getz, Prez, Courtney Pine, Zoot, (yeah I know that's quite the spread...)

thanks for the help!
Iain
Are you buying a Alto or a Tenor? I've played alot of Cannonballs but I own a Yani A991. I have no complaints about it. Tonewise, it has a rich core tone IMO and you can take it were you want to take it tone-wise; dark,bright or in between its pretty flexible. Intonation was much better on the Yani than the Cannonballs I played (Hotspur,Raven,Brute)

Right now I'm in the market for a Tenor. I'm on the fence between a T9937, T992, P. Mauriat System 76, and a Selmer Mark VI. I haven't had a chance to play test the Yani Tenors yet but I did play on some P.Mauriats and Cannonballs. The two Cannonball Brute Tenors had a nice "dark" pitch but not as responsive as I would have liked. I was very surprised by the P.Mauriat System 76 Tenor that I play tested. Playing side by side a Selmer Mark VI, it did have a Selmer Vibe to it. Tone wise it felt like you could take it "anywhere you want to go" I've read alot of good stuff about the Yani T992 and I was very impressed by the P.Mauriat System 76. It might be worth your while to look into these two or even a vintage horn for Tenor.

Good luck on your hunt and let us know how it turns out!

#4 ·
Hi Iain

I've compared all three of these saxes (tenor), and have a Cannonball Vintage Reborn. Sound wise, the Yani 991 was very close, but it felt like it was made for smaller hands than mine. The Mauriat had a different sound and feel.

So if you liked playing the Vintage, I don't think you'll go wrong with a Yani 991, as well as it's well set up.

- David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.