Sax on the Web Forum banner

Thomann soprano sax

14K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  milandro 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Thomann is a good shop, they sell in huge numbers things that are good value for money, these are probably Taiwanese rather than being Chinese.

If you want to buy a new saxophone, sight unseen, within the EU and with a very good no questions asked guarantee, you can’t go wrong with one of these.

If any of the SOTW members, as usual, suggest you to buy a Taiwanese horn by any of the many American sellers of Taiwanese made saxophone, you might want to think that Thomann charges no shipping to Portugal above €199, you pay no duty, as Germany and Portugal are in the EU, and if you don’t like it you just send it back.

On the other hand you COULD (but would you be able to?) find a Vintage horn for that kind of money.........but would this hypothetical horn be available to you or better than this?

#4 ·
Well I like vintages. I have two alto and tenor. But a soprano with the same price range than my alto Buffet S1 is harder to find... I'm not a professional. Looking for a sax with a good value for money. And of course with good quality. I know that it was better to choose a yamaha. Just look for something that can take to some gigs without get myself in trouble. Will the Bauhaus Walstein be better??

#8 ·
So in your opinion the BW is sax that i can take in consideration.
I am very curious about the BW. I never play one. But there are good reviews about them. About the thomann saxes there are few reviews that is my problem. I can't see much feedback about thomann saxes.

#10 ·
The reason you don't see too many Thomann saxophones here is that this company ( although they sell everywhere) sells prevalently in Europe ( So Dowivid is a relative exception ) and this forum has a majority of non European members.

As I said they are good instruments and they have an excellent guarantee, you don't like it, you send it back.

BW are distributed by smaller shops or directly by their importer ww & bw in the UK.

They too have a cheaper line (Chinese made) and a more expensive line (Taiwanese made), quality control is IN MY EXPERIENCE ( but others might disagree) good enough to have made me buy their AI (action improved) Bronze curved soprano ( even though because of my friendly relationship with several Taiwanese makers I could have bought theirs), a Yanagisawa copy.

This doesn't mean that I wouldn't have considered buying a Thomann sax but that I preferred the BW.

here a few links to help you thinking

http://cafesaxophone.com/archive-breakfastroom/index.cgi?fid=01&topic_id=1199890888

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?167041-Oppinions-on-Thomann-TSS-350-Soprano-saxophone
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...na-made-sopranos-Bauhaus-Walstein-and-Thomann

#9 ·
I have one Thomman sop. Easy to play and cheap ( bought it used, but very light used).
At first I liked the facility to get high notes. I don't play it for now, I'm on alto mainly. That sop fall down its stand and high E gave me some trouble. But for now, it sems to be OK.
Fairly good sax for the money.
Sure, I would prefer some Yamaha or Yana, but money talks...

#11 · (Edited)
I had a TSS-350 (like the one played in the video above) and still own the corresponding BW. I was able to compare them side-by-side. While they looked more or less identical, the BW was/is the sturdier, better made instrument - not flawless, but considerably more convincing; the same goes for the sound - not a huge difference, but audible. I found the differences in sound, tactility, handling and overall build feel big enough to sell on the Thomann. That said, it actually was a solid offering for the price, and Thomann *does* handle warranty issues very well. Furthermore, those handmade Thomann horns sure look impressive... Anyhow, just to make it a little easier to find the UK importer and seller of Bauhaus Walstein, it's woodwindandbrass.co.uk (ww&bw is an American shop ...).

M.

#13 ·
Yes, you did :) Sorry, Milandro, but if I search for "wwbw" or "ww&bw", I get the American site, not Woodwind&Brass where our beloved BWs come from. No offense meant in any way!

M

#15 ·
I just sold my curved Thomann 350 soprano on here not long back. It was very good indeed. Build was great and solid. BW sops are also very sweet. I've had the curved bronze BW and bronze BW straight sop. The straight BW was nicer. I now have a bronze Elkhart deluxe straight sop which is really a Conn-Selmer red brass 280R sop, same horn, different stamp, wow its freaky good. Its stunned me. I love it. I've had a bunch of top end sops over the years and this Elkhart conn-selmer is up there.

#16 ·
Milandro: I just hope you don't HAVE to do it that way ;) I really hope I'll be able to play a BW curvy at some not too distant point in time.

M.

#18 ·
Ouch - I wasn't aware there actually *was* a problem - strain? Or worse? You know, I can actually relate to you trumpet pun - I just recently almost messed up the muscles and sinews in my lower right arm by playing tenor horn for a change ... Anyhow, get better soon!

M.

#20 ·
Hi there,
Thomas might be a good choice not only for a Thomann sax, but as far as I know, they sell Taiwanese System 54 saxes. I like them; and have not really heard anyone talk badly about the build quality.
They probably accept returns for those as well!
Cheers,
Rudolf

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

#22 ·
Their guarantee and return policy is second to none!!!

It's a VERY good shop to bear in mind just to get anything indeed.

This is just my point, but there are facts.

In fact, I have though a good bunch of times about getting a cheap (but decent) curved soprano for my little twins to practice. I appreciate all this info. Thanks all.

Best wishes to everyone.

From Anselmo's smartphone!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.