Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here - 2014

125K views 1K replies 55 participants last post by  mrpeebee 
#1 · (Edited)
Re: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here - 2013

Well A-Train has passed the baton to me, so to start the new year, this month's pick is the aptly titled "You've Changed" by Bill Carey and Carl Fischer. It's in vol 3 of the real book, and there is a backing in iRealB for those whom want an early start. I will see about dots and backing's by the end of the week.

For starters:

Sarah Vaughn

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXBpVctOEVw

and Jimmy Heath, who's guest playing with Marian McPartland on Piano Jazz led me to this tune (R.I.P. Marian)

www.npr.org/2013/08/09/210493251/jimmy-heath-on-piano-jazz

For those this is not too late for: Happy New Year!

[edit] for anyone looking for the chart in Concert Key or for Bb instruments (sorry, I don't have an Eb copy), please PM me.

See less See more
#1,270 ·
I really like this song Luc. Here's my version. Later in the month I'll try and do a version with some of my crappy soloing. lol.
https://app.box.com/s/399oe1vj3c3q3y4mz7s5
I liked your take .. but will side with Chris and wait for the second half !

Brendan, so quick off the mark I nearly missed a Nov posting for Dec's tune:) Enjoyed that one though
you got round it very well
Now I can enjoy the rest of Dec guilt free !

This might lower the standard a little:mrgreen:

'Masquerade'

Nice take Chris ... but maybe you could record a version when your neighbours are away ! :mrgreen:
(Sounds a bit too quiet.)

#1,267 ·
B Flat. Nick I thought you might have called it 'Mascara' after some of your recent avatars:) Enjoyed the solo
though:) just right for the music:)
Jimmy, Liked the first half Jim, looking forward to the second half later:)
Brendan, so quick off the mark I nearly missed a Nov posting for Dec's tune:) Enjoyed that one though
you got round it very well

This might lower the standard a little:mrgreen:

'Masquerade'

Chris..

#1,268 ·
@Chris. Good one. Got a question for you. Was that back track one that you made? Which sheet music did you use? The version written in Bb or the one written in G? Basically what I'm asking is, can you provide that one to go along with the G key version sheet? Thanks. Kind of confusing though. I hope I explained myself. lol. I guess since it has an Em chord then instead of they key of G, it's written in the key of Em? So the back track would be in the key of concert Dm? I'm getting a headache. lol. :dazed:

#1,278 ·
After listening to all of the recordings here, I am almost too ashamed to post mine. The only reason I am is the hope that feedback from others will help me get to that level as well.

I picked the horn up this past Feb after about 25 yrs away from it. I have been working at it steady for the last year.
I'm not so sure about my recording setup. I am using an SM57 into a Zoom H1 recorder.

Anyway, here is a recording I made trying to play along with "Stay with Me' (yes, I know..Overdone)

http://www.chrishoodblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/stay-with-me.mp3

#1,281 ·
Well, it's been a crazy month. Finally getting to posting what was recorded two weeks ago at the last Jam:

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12999533&q=hi

Thru a bit of miscommunication, I had intended to play the head on the way in, and have Mo (the vocalist) sing on the way out but whatever, it's the first time I tried comping with a live singer. I definitely employed the concept of "it's better to let the people "think" you're incompetent rather than opening your mouth and proving it". Comments welcomed on that.

Trying a bit of a new set-up, retrying Rigotti Gold's, wouldn't mind feedback on that, too. Heard the shakiness from time to time, so I do know I need to shed long tones.

Finally, the usual host of the jam arrived late from another gig, so he is the second tenor that joined in after my solo, solo'd in until the bridge and thru the end. Learned a few things from that.

Hope you enjoy.

#1,282 ·
Scargo, You've got some good ideas going for lines...I'd like to hear you play the melody, then build a solo from there using the foundation of the melody as a jumping off point. For a jam session the recording is pretty decent, but I couldn't take much from it in terms of your tone. The second sax sounded more full...whatever that means. The difference in quality of sound between the two of you is just time on the horn working on developing your sound. You know: long tones, overtones, etc. I didn't dig how the other sax player didn't hit any note straight-on. "Sliding" in and out of notes is a cool effect that is used often in this style of music, but it was too much for me...I feel the same way when a guitar player uses the wah-wah pedal constantly.

#1,294 ·
Thanks for the comments. I think I've gotten lost on what is working for me on getting a good tone, really have to hit the shed with my Zoom since I seem to be fooling myself from behind the horn. And I'll work on getting a full version of "Masquerade" in if I can.

#1,287 ·
I like the slightly raspy rock 'n roll tone you have towards the end. I've only been able to achieve that with my equipment by blowing hard and playing extremely loud. Is that what you were doing there?

@forreals, Luis, hard to tell what you where playing over with no backing, when you said BiaB'ing I expected a backing
track, tone sounds good though..

Chris..
The backing track was in my ear buds. Probably not the best way to practice given the struggle between hearing myself and hearing the track.

If anyone can guess it, I'll give them a shiny nickel. Shipping is on you though =]

#1,286 ·
Thanks Chris. slowly getting the office/studio together. smaller space in some ways. I had kind of forgotten about that CD. Back in November I shot a presentation by an improvisational/motivational speaker Avish Parashar called "Ding Happens!" Basic concept is there is no script to life, it is a series of events, and how you react and adjust to each of those events is up to you. I've had some dings. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.