Sax on the Web Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here - 2014

125K views 1K replies 55 participants last post by  mrpeebee 
#1 · (Edited)
Re: Beginners/Intermediates post your recordings here - 2013

Well A-Train has passed the baton to me, so to start the new year, this month's pick is the aptly titled "You've Changed" by Bill Carey and Carl Fischer. It's in vol 3 of the real book, and there is a backing in iRealB for those whom want an early start. I will see about dots and backing's by the end of the week.

For starters:

Sarah Vaughn

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXBpVctOEVw

and Jimmy Heath, who's guest playing with Marian McPartland on Piano Jazz led me to this tune (R.I.P. Marian)

www.npr.org/2013/08/09/210493251/jimmy-heath-on-piano-jazz

For those this is not too late for: Happy New Year!

[edit] for anyone looking for the chart in Concert Key or for Bb instruments (sorry, I don't have an Eb copy), please PM me.

See less See more
#2 ·

Well A-Train has passed the baton to me, so to start the new year, this month's pick is the aptly titled "You've Changed" by Bill Carey and Carl Fischer.
That's a nice tune, good pick :). This is my favourite singer version (Eva Cassisy):

or

#3 · (Edited)
Time for a new and fresh Beginners & Intermediates (B&I) thread for 2014 (continuing from >the last B&I 2013 page<, also copied some of the last posts to this thread - see above) :).

This thread is for all Beginners and Intermediates who would like to share their progress and recordings. Posting your stuff is great, but commenting and discussing on other members post (in a respectful way) is also fine. Main goal here is to learn and encourage each other, besides having some fun with our common hobby (playing the saxophone). New members: don't be shy: share what you've got and try to participate :).

We also have a B&I TOTM (Tune Of The Month) here, where a member calls each month a new tune to work on and post our attempts as soundclip or video (working on and posting other tunes is of course also possible :)). At the end of the month the current host appoints a member for hosting next month TOTM.

INDEX for B&I TOTM selections: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...f-the-Month)-INDEX-since-January-2010-onwards

The Januari 2014 B&I TOTM is: 'You've Changed' (hosted by scargo)

- Links to older B&I threads:
2013: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...-Intermediates-post-your-recordings-here-2013
2012: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...iates-post-your-recordings-here-Nov-2011-2012
2011: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ediates-post-your-recordings-here-gt-Nov-2011
2010: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...-Intermediates-post-your-recordings-here-2010
2009: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...-Intermediates-post-your-recordings-here-2009
2008: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...-Intermediates-post-your-recordings-here-2008
Before 2008: http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...s-Intermediates-Recordings-posted-before-2008

HAPPY NEW YEAR with hopefully lots of great postings here!!!

#7 ·
@dubrosa22: Sounding good there V.
You seemed pretty relaxed and the recording is very clear and nicely mixed.

I had a go at the ballad of the month on the Cafe and thought I'd post it here as well.
This is very much a "Peebee" styled take (Press and play). You might have to trade mark that phrase Peter.
The Shadow Of Your Smile.
https://app.box.com/s/nc2hgrshetvp3sjzujrg

#36 ·
@dubrosa22: Sounding good there V.
You seemed pretty relaxed and the recording is very clear and nicely mixed.
Cheers Nick, the few weeks off and and few drinks I had prior to this take probably helped :) Plus not mixing it with headphones on the train commute!

@Dubrossa, So laid back, with very solid tone V. Sounds very nice.
Thanks again Chris, I've been really focusing on my alto again since a period of focus on the tenor and this old favourite came back to me from my first year of playing.

@dubrosa22 - Vaughan, very nice alto sound and loved your solo too, played with confidence. You played the head a bit too much staccato at places.
Thanks for the feedback Peter - I definitely do play the head with too much tongue. Probably a result of first learning Stolen Moments from the Zappa 1988 band version rather than Nelson's original - Zappa is quite spiky!:)

V

#10 ·
@dubrosa22 - Vaughan, very nice alto sound and loved your solo too, played with confidence. You played the head a bit too much staccato at places.

@B Flat - Nick, not sure if I want to trade mark the PeeBee recording style! Actually I would prefer to spent some time on the tunes before hitting recording, that's the only way to really learn something. Unfortanely my available time and home situation (I never play at home) force me to work like that, but I wouldn't advice that to anybody. Now about your take: I agree with Chris about your tone, it was nice and full. Also loved the spontaneous vibe of the take, which often comes when your record immediately and all is still fresh! Good improvisation too, very nice take my friend :).

@Francisco Silva - Fernando, that's a fine first attempt, well done.

#11 ·
Thanks Chris and Peter for the listen and comments.
I'm slowly getting more used to the Gaia and the increase in tip size.
Have put the plasticovers aside for the moment as they were giving me a lot of squeeking issues.
The Gaia doesn't seem as dark a piece as the Drake and can take more air it seems, a little more versatile in some respects but I still can't quite get the bottom end I do with the Drake.
This could be due to getting used to the tip opening or perhaps the Mark VII has some minor leaks?
Normally I would like to play around more with a tune before recording, but time has been the issue lately.
Still the Peebee style does ad that spontenaeity as you pointed out Peter.
This months tune is one I would like to spend some time on as it is relatively new to me in that I have only ever heard Dexters version a couple of times and now Eva Cassidy's beautiful version also.
Nick.

#12 ·
Great choice for TOTM, not sure if I'll be able to participate or not but I will try since I really like the tune. I can't remember if I've played it before or not though.

I don't think anyone has posted this yet, but Dexter is who I think of when I think of this tune.

#18 ·
Thanks Arno :).

Why is there actually a thread for beginners/intermediates recordings?
I think I'm an intermediate player, but I posted some tunes in self-started threads under 'recordings & reviews'. Is that wrong?
The B&I threads existed long before I joined the forum, so I'm not completely sure. As mentioned in my post #3 everybody could actually post everything here (beginner, intermediate or what comes after!). I personally think that having a thread like this is really helpful for 'real' beginners or people who don't want to start a thread about their own clip, but can also be for more intermediate players. These threads get a lot of hits and pages with replies each year, so I'm sure they fulfill in a need.

#21 ·
Did record four tunes this evening in a very short time (all PeeBee style, hit and record :mrgreen:).

Here is the one and only take of our B&I TOTM. The piano in the backing sounded very sloppy in my ear (probably too much conversion on the soundfile), so that mixes well with my sloppy tone (didn't play for almost 2 weeks). Left the backing a bit soft in the mix and got lost soon with the chords. Things also get a bit rough after 4 minutes, but here is my take anyhow:

- 'You've Changed' (Ponzol 120 - La Voz medium): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12634324

I also did a take with the Eva Cassidy clip, but have too see if I post that (it needs some editing!). She played it in a complete other key, D for tenor if I'm right.

#22 ·
#32 ·
Wow, I really dig this one Peter! Great sound! It's not that I like it especially better than your sound on the Florida, you play great on both of them.

Also like you're other recording 'You've changed'. Great how you let it all go at some parts, screaming out. I love to do that myself now and then. (just recently had the guts to record it).

#24 ·
@francisco: Not too bad for a first effort, all sounded pretty good. The Bass in the backing track was a little overpowering at times which made the sax harder to hear.
@Chris: very nice tone once again and nice restraint in the solo section. Very smooth and buttery.
@mrpeebee: I mentioned this in the other forum, but thought I would mention again how good you make that Ponzol piece sound.
A nice full bodied tone with edge when needed.
Sounds like I'm describing coffee.
I had a quick shot at this one myself earlier.
Will post it when I get home later.

#30 ·
@mrpeebee: I mentioned this in the other forum, but thought I would mention again how good you make that Ponzol piece sound.
A nice full bodied tone with edge when needed.
Sounds like I'm describing coffee.
Thanks Nick :). The Ponzol has a lot of good stuff and belonged to a Dutch master player and friend of mine (he played it for about 20 years), so I stay a bit longer with it because it's a real good piece. But I still don't like the very high baffle and what it does to my sound when playing with a high air speed. But it's becoming better and when I play my recordings in WAV quality they sound much fuller then in the compressed mp3 format of SoundClick.

Here's the take I meant to post last night.
https://app.box.com/s/zfvjm0fjfak2su8wwgb0
I will no doubt have another shot at this one later in the month.
Nick.
@B Flat - Very nice and relaxed version Nick. Great sound and you left a lot of space in the improvistion with a nice build up. Played with lots of feeling.

@Peter, I thought it was Arnett Cobb, when you started 'You've Changed'. I agree with Nick the 'Ponzol' piece seems to suit you
very well..
Thanks Chris :). Arnett used such a beginning often in his 'The Nearness Of You' takes, just stole that idea from him (it was actually just there, didn't plan to do that).

#25 ·
@Nick, 'describing coffee' just put coffee down the pc screen haha. I nearly choked.Thanks for the comments, less is more
and space are a couple of things the old tutor has me working on. So I think you might well be hearing more of it over the
coming months..
@Peter, I thought it was Arnett Cobb, when you started 'You've Changed'. I agree with Nick the 'Ponzol' piece seems to suit you
very well..

Chris..

#26 ·

Now i am confused TOTM for januari 14 is almost blue. ... But someone mentioned à different title in this treat.... What are there more TOTM's at the same time ? Confusing... Any way, i want to know because if so, i Will join in

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

#31 ·
Now i am confused TOTM for januari 14 is almost blue. ... But someone mentioned à different title in this treat.... What are there more TOTM's at the same time ? Confusing... Any way, i want to know because if so, i Will join in.
Mark, as Chris explained, we have the main TOTM (the one you organized last month) which is in reality mostly attended by more advanced players (but it's free for everbody to join of course). The TOTM in this thread is for B&I (Beginners/Intermediates), of course also free for everybody to join. In my experience (I attend both TOTM threads for some years now) there is not much difference in level of the songs, but in this B&I thread posters are less exposed to the 'big world' compared to the main TOTM (as Alan already mentioned).

We also have (besides the two TOTM threads) an EMC2 cyclus of threads, for more ear and melodic playing on a backing without real structure. Currently we are in Round 11, see >this< thread.

Haha... Just thinking of these recording as "beginner". I know there are some hard core pro's here but wow...

I think we need a recording post for really really real beginners. You know, the ones playing hot cross buns/London bridge/etc. The ones still working through Essential Elements for Band... :)
DocEM, we had that discussion about 1 or 2 years ago and decided all at that moment to stay with the current B&I concept. When I remember well one of the main reasons was that a 'real' beginners thread wouldn't get much attention of more advanced players, so also less knowledge exchange between them. This B&I thread is open for everybody on every level for every music style they want to share (see my post #3, as already quoted by Chris).

#27 ·
Hi Mark this was Peters post earlier 'Time for a new and fresh Beginners & Intermediates (B&I) thread for 2014 (continuing from >the last B&I 2013 page<, also copied some of the last posts to this thread - see above) .

This thread is for all Beginners and Intermediates who would like to share their progress and recordings. Posting your stuff is great, but commenting and discussing on other members post (in a respectful way) is also fine. Main goal here is to learn and encourage each other, besides having some fun with our common hobby (playing the saxophone). New members: don't be shy: share what you've got and try to participate .

We also have a B&I TOTM (Tune Of The Month) here, where a member calls each month a new tune to work on and post our attempts as soundclip or video (working on and posting other tunes is of course also possible ). At the end of the month the current host appoints a member for hosting next month TOTM.'
There is some more..

Also A-Train posted this,
Because there are less advanced players that were too intimidated to post their stuff on the regular recordings thread (with the higher skilled players) so this thread was created, less pressure here.

To answer this question Why is there actually a thread for beginners/intermediates recordings?

So the tune this month on this thread is 'You've Changed'

Chris..

#39 ·
Thanks Vaughan :).

I also played those tunes for the first time, but I already new them very well from CD's, so that helps a lot in recording a quick and dirty take (I recorded five new tunes last Sunday evening in about 1 hour).

#40 ·
@Nick, nice intro very clever, and a great version to follow. Very laid back, with loads of feeling. If there are
loads of intro's from now on, I think we can blame you and Peter haha.

@Peter, Eva and MrPeeBee duet. It was all very well done. I hope you are going to stick with
the 'Ponzil' for a while as you sound very goood.

@Vaughan, got to work on space/vibrato during solo's so my tutor tells me. So we'll have to wait a while
for DT phrases etc. One day I'll mix everything together and it might sound good..Thanks for the comments
as always..

Chris..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.