Sax on the Web Forum banner

Buffet S-1

7K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  bopgurl79 
#1 ·
I just read some very complimentary things about this horn, but have never heard of it before.

Can anyone concur? Does anyone own one?

#4 ·
great horn.

Wrongly, by some, labelled as a horn only fit to play classical music. I loved it when I had one. The last of the SDA (with the name written on the body) are in fact already S1's.
But it must be said that it is indeed a GORGEOUS sounding horn for classical applications. The unique mods they made to the pinky keys on both hands are really great for speeding up technical passages down low on the horn. The solid-copper-bodied Prestige models are some of the prettiest horns out there, if that matters to you. I didn't particularly like the placement of the left hand palm keys, but those are easily modded with risers/cork/sugru etc.

#5 ·
I have an S1 soprano. I believe it is an early one which is nearly identical to the SDAs I've seen. The 8va key-touch, RH thumb rest and one or 2 other parts are a little different. Later versions added high F# (maybe front F) and an adjustable LH thumb rest.

Yes...it's all they say it is.

#7 ·
I don't know about the rest of the family but I think I would consider the soprano a 'classical' instrument. Certainly their choice of stock mouthpiece points in that direction. It has the kind of French 'resistance' coupled with focused intonation and not overly bright.

But stick a Yani 5, as I have, and it covers a lot of bases.

#8 ·
The sopranos I've played all were "darker", perhaps "dryer" than other French sopranos.
I play an SDA alto and love it for those same qualities.

I should also note that, upon having the horn here for the first time, I began to remember that it was a Buffet alto that was the first sax I ever played- a school band instrument I received when I was 9 years old in 1957. Even the Buffet case brings back memories of that time now.

#9 ·
I had an S1 alto for several years. Great horn, dark and warm, and had some very unique ergonomics. I don't love the Super Dynaction horns, especially the sopranos, but the S1 was a great horn. They're a little like a Yani in that they produce a very "clean" sound (as opposed to something like a Keilwerth or King Super 20 which can be pushed to produce a more spread "dirty" sound). I found the sound to be dark and compact and the intonation was very good....however...you have to find one that is keyed to A440. The majority of them I've seen are keyed at A442. There is a way to tell them apart by markings on the horn, but I don't remember what they are...

#11 ·
Shouldn't this be in the Buffet section?

#17 ·
live several times not played........:scratch:

Perhaps you mean: “ is left, often times unplayed.

I don’t understand this thing that the S1 should be ONLY meant for classical music and good for playing that alone.

Both the Mark VI and Mark VII were developed with the intention of creating a saxophone for classical music.

#18 ·
As a matter of fact, most French saxophones were and are developed for classical music (at least, the Selmer SIII are, if I believe what the Selmer guy told me 2 weeks ago).
As for S1 tenors and jazz, I think Don Rendell played one at some time. One might not like his tone or his playing, but it stills sounds pretty jazzy to me.
Mine doesn't sound that good but I'm afraid it's entirely my fault.

#19 ·
The S-1 was popular with the Art Ensemble guys -- Joseph Jarman and Roscoe Mitchell -- and David S. Ware played one. Deffayet and the great tenor player in his quartet, Jacques Terry, played them too. I've seen an ad for the S-1 featuring Art Pepper, but in the '70s I saw him mostly on a Mark VII. Can't think of any others. The Dynaction and Super Dynaction also seem to have been used by only a handful of notable players, and then only briefly: Albert Ayler (for most of his acknowledged career), Tina Brooks, Coltrane (possibly, but in any case momentarily, toward the end), Jackie McLean (for several years at the cusp of the '60s), Pharoah Sanders, C Sharpe.

#21 ·
John Harle played one, as does Reginald Jackson from the Washingon Sax Quartet. (They're the quartet that plays the interludes on NPR's All Things Considered. All of them play Buffet horns.). A lot of classical guys have played them, actually.

#23 · (Edited)
My first saxophone teacher, a classically trained career soloist who studied at the conservatory in Paris with Deffayet, played a Buffet S1 alto; apparently the norm for Deffayet's students. My teacher's horn had about a million miles on it and it held up well in spite of never receiving more than minimal attention. I really wanted one instead of my SA80-II Selmer, but a Buffet S-1 was hard to come by in those days and very expensive. Buffet made only a fraction of the horns that Selmer did and arguably had much better quality control. Strange how things have evolved.

#26 ·
I have one S1 alto, and i love it... is a superior sax for classic i know. But if you chose a good setup reed+mouthpiece you can play jazz too without any problem. The keywork is amazing for me, and for my hands too. But i have to place key risers on the high keys in left hand. Even if i buy another sax i will never sell my S1.

#27 ·
I own too an alto S-1...In near mint condition (made in 1974). The mechanism is outstanding...It's a swiss clock... ;-)

The feeling under finger is secure wehn you play this sax.

Yes, the sound is very "centered"...Not open. I play with a MORGAN "vintage" mpc.

If someone has recommandation for a good jazz mpc... I accept every suggestions...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.