Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Digitech Vocal 300 processor for sax?

Hi all,
    I'm looking for an effect box so that my sound doesn't sound different every single time we have a different sound engineer. Our band play at different settings/places and I have had so many different sound engineers that doesn't know what I'm looking for... I was browsing around and found the Digitech Vocal 300, it seems to be the one that I've been looking for... I want to set up a preset of effects/delay/reverb/ etc... and so that the sound engineer doesn't need to do anything on the mixer but the volume so that I can have the sound that I want... Have anyone been using this effect box or something similiar to this? It's kinda big, I would love to have a box that's smaller but if this processor do the job, I'm sold.

http://www.wwbw.com/Digitech-Vocal-300-i36517.music

Thank you very much,
    Kenny.

I guess I'll have to try it and give a report then

Kenny.

Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member

A friend of mine showed me that a couple months ago and said he heard from another sax player that it worked great for sax. I haven't talked to my friend since then. I'll give him a call and see how he likes it.

thank you Nefertili, it would help if I know he like it or not.

Kenny.

Looks like a good unit from the description, and I trust Digitech equipment as they make some excellent guitar processors. BTW Kenny I'm getting the mpc out tomorrow, had to accumulate some packing material.
    A good sound comes from within. Long live jazz!
    V0l2TEX

Default DigiTech Vx400

Hello, I have been using a DigiTech Vx400 now for about a year on my sax and pennywhistles n stuff and have been very happy with it. It's similar to the vocal 300. All the effects are the same I think. The main difference being the 400 has a usb port so u can hook it up to your computer. making it function like a sound card. Also very handy for backing up and editing all your presets. It takes a little bit of teeking to get the effects ya like cuz quite a few of the factory presets aren’t necessarily great for sax. But its really quite easy to program. It’s not a lexicon when it comes to verb but its still pretty good. I’ve been pretty happy with it.
    Happy hunting
    Joe Young

Thanks for the info., I got mine for about a week now but didn't have time to use it... I'll be using/tweaking it tonight and hopefully, it will be a great unit.

Thanks again,
    Kenny.

Default digitec 300

Hi

I am looking for a similar type of effects processor. Do you like the 300?

Steve

I didn't have a chance to try it on a live gig, but the effects are good when I use them for practice... You really have lots of control over it, and the effects are easy to adjust too... I definately like it.

Kenny.

I've got a Digitech Vocal 300 if someone wants it. It's in mint condition, just didn't suit my application as well as I'd hoped. $120 gets it shipped anywhere in the US.

mangojango @ hotmail . com

I use one. As said before, the effects are a little cheesy, but they can be tweaked fairly easily. You have to watch out with the levels though, as some of the patches come out a lot louder than others. Also, the EQ is huge when it comes to making it sound right through a horn. You've got to boost the bottom end, but not enough to make it feed(because it sure knows how to do that). I'm still figuring it out actually.
    The only real complaint I have with it, is when you have a patch that you have assigned the pedal to control the amount of delay you use, when you switch beck to it form anothe patch, the delay is full on, even when you're pedal says it's not. Totally annoying. It's tough to work around on a gig......not impossible though.
    Also, the whammy pedal patch has problems holding the pitch, and has a little bit of a delay at times.
    This thing is really good for studio applications(especially the small home types), because you pick your patch, stay with it and you can tweak it exactly for the song you're doing. I heard that Roy Hargrove used on Hardgroove.
    It is nowhere near perfect, but it is workable.

I use the Vocal 300 w/ my sax.

http://www.rockstationantiques.com/RIG/rig_4.jpg

I also use a Digitech Vocalist VR in my rack.

http://www.rockstationantiques.com/RIG/rig_5.jpg

I love the 300 tho, I've not programmed the patches at all really but preset 6 (plate reverb) is my favorite!

I, too, use a Vocal 300 -- for bamboo flutes, alto/sop sax, clarinet, which I play in a Bollywood cover band, the group Dhvani of Connecticut, US.

I agree with others that the presets are cheesy and overblown; these are probably designed to get your attention in a noisy place like a Guitar Center store. But it is easy to tweak and save your patches. I think the unit has a clean sound. I use a lot of delays, reverb, occasionally phase or pitch shifter.

In our concerts, many times I also have to run the sound board from the stage, so, it is a boon to have these effects at my feet. I use the unit like a guitar player uses pedals, rather than like a sound board engineer uses a reverb, for example; meaning, I might apply a pitch shifting patch for 15 seconds, then go to a clean patch with a little delay, etc. It is easy to do with this unit. I use an SM 57 mic and run the 300's output to the PA.

- joseph getter
    Joseph Getter / Middletown, CT, USA
    clarinet, soprano & tenor saxes
    flute of india & gamelan of java

Forum Contributor 2011 Nobby Keys's Avatar

xuanvu

Hope you don't mind me asking but how are you getting on with the Digitech Vocal 300 effects unit. This may also be just what I am looking for, but can it take the high volume levels from a tenor sax without distorting.

I need a floor mounted controllable unit with the usual effects and perhaps a compressor to help limit the upper volume - sometimes I'm just too loud.

Would be grateful for your comments.

Honestly, I haven't have the chance try it with a live gig... Lately, we play every week locally and the setting is kinda small so I dont' want to bring extra stuffs on stage. (Beside alto & sop. sax, I play the Yamaha WX5 + 2 sound modules, and a set of percussion.) I do however sometimes use it while practicing and it've been working fine. While we practice, the sound level is not as loud as with the gig so I can't tell you yet... This weekend, I'll bring it onto stage and I'll post how it work. By the way, I only play alto and tenor, so I don't know how it will be different for tenor.

Kenny.
    Inderbinen Alto / Theo Wanne Durga #7 & Aizen 6M / Fibracell #2.5 - Bauhaus Walstein Soprano / Aizen LS 8 / Fibracell #2

Forum Contributor 2011 Nobby Keys's Avatar

xuanvu

Many thanks for your reply.

Ken, how is your equipment work? any good news?

Default I've been using the pedal for three years

I've been using that pedal for about three year now, started using it in a reggae band (2 1/2 white guys). I also used it in my sax/bass/drums trio for its wah, octave dropper, distortion, echos, reverb, etc (see http://www.robbennion.com/nostreet.htm) . It's fun and seems to work well in smaller settings, and in club settings too. Be carefull about monitor placement, especially on the wah effect, as it will feedback sharply. If you can use a headphone-monitor setup to have a quieter stage then do it, it'll give you more freedom to use the pedal without worrying about feedback. Digitec pedals have historically had problems in their buttons (many guitarists have told me this), and I had to replace the connection in the buttion I use the most. Luckily it was still under warranty, so I didn't have to pay a penny. Lesson learned: buy it new so you can replace the pedal once it wears out the first year.

Smile Octave effect in vocal 300?

Hi all,
    I'm an amature saxophonist in Singapore and I've been reading up so much about effects with the sax.
    However I'm hoping to apply an octave below effect on the alto sax.
    I've attempted to play with octave padels for guitars (BOSS OC-2) but the sound just doesn't work.
    Anyone out there knows which equipment is best for this effect? does the vocal 300 include this feature?

Thanx for reading.
    jo

Default 300 for octave-dropper

Singapore,
    The vocal 300 has an option to adjust the pitches to wherever you want, so you could set it to drop an octave, or a whole step, fourth, fifth, etc. you can also adjust the mix so that it outputs 50% your un-effected sound 50% the effect, so you could play through a pa and have both the normal sax and the octave drop come out . . .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast