P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Drill press: What to look for?

Default Drill press: What to look for?

Hi everyone, I'm currently looking for a drill press for my "shop", and wanted to know some details to look for, or minimum requirements:
    Motor size and power?
    No-no brands?
    Do speeds matter?
    Overall size?
    Any other suggestions?

Thanks guys!

-Ryan

Distinguished SOTW Technician.

Default Re: Drill press: What to look for?

Get a sherline mill!!
    Dirk zeylmans
    www.tritone.net.au
    Canberra,australia.

Quote Originally Posted by dzve View Post
    Get a sherline mill!!
    I know, I'd love one, but I may go the "Used Tools" route, and these rarely pop up in my price range at the moment...

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

The cheaper ones are belt drive rather than gear drive. Belt drives are fine

Unless your drilling some serious tough steels then a keyless chuck makes life easier

16mm chuck minimum as well, 20mm are over rated and really unnessassary

A morse taper as well 2mt is a standard

Most decent sized drill presses are 16 speed, the cheapies are 5 speed,
    Life is to short to get caught up in the truth, Relax and just let life go on by, move at your own pace and rhythm
    www.mirwa.com.au

It would help with suggestions to know what you'll be using this press for. For some applications, a cheap Harbor Freight benchtop press is fine, for others you may need to step up to a Jet, Powermatic, or Rikon. Then there's always the industrial presses...

Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist

Some are really crappy. Wind the quill all the way down, and then see how much sideways wobble it has. There should be none discernable.

And I agree, you need to match the purchase to your planned (and unplanned) uses.

If you don't have a lathe, or bench motor, or milling machine, then you may be expecting quite a range of uses, especially if you hope to use it for making tools, eg tenon shrinking collets.
    Contentment is not the fulfilment of what you want, but the realisation of how much you already have.

Buy a Delta 1/2" bench drill press. I've had mine for 30+ years. Unless you need a mill like a Bridgeport the Delta DP is all you'll probably ever need. You will need a couple of adjustable vices to go with it. And maybe an XY adjustable table vice.

Distinguished Mouthpiece Designer/Maker/Forum Contributor 2012 Phil Barone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dzve View Post
    Get a sherline mill!!
    Yeah, a Sherline is a good tool, not great but good and if you don't need fantastic accuracy it will do the job for cheap. Just make sure that it's big enough because they're not very large machines. There's a lot of brands out there that are good and you can get a good one for a very reasonable price. I like older machines so take a look on Craig's list. There may be some beauties on there and the older machines are very durable and you may be able to steal one.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician

If your going to go mill instead of drill, then dont be shy go all the way, get a turrett mill
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Life is to short to get caught up in the truth, Relax and just let life go on by, move at your own pace and rhythm
    www.mirwa.com.au

Distiguished SOTW Tech

I have two drill presses. One is an antique belt driven machine that i keep in the pole barn for drilling holes in wood that dont need to be that accurate. The other is a very inexpensive asian made import that was a piece of crap until i put a good chuck on it. While it is important to check the quill for wobble, the chuck is very important as well. I have a milling machine for more accurate stuff. If all i was going to have in my shop was one for musical instrument repairs, I would look for a higher end asian model like a Jet that had multiple speeds, a morse taper quill and a good chuck that went from 0 to 1/4" or 3/8" and also an additional morse taper shank chuck that went up to 1/2" for when you needed to drill the occasional larger hole. A rack and pinion table lift is also a handy feature especially when you are lifting a table with a heavy vise on it. An additional handy feature is a quill stop that uses a bolt and nut type design and Not the one that uses a dial that are found on cheap drill presses.

Nice, thanks! You guys rule

I just got a Harbor Freight flyer, their 5-speed benchtop press is on sale for $60. As that's better than the one I have now (that is, none), I'll be picking one up. I might post about it.

Distinguished SOTW Member shmuelyosef's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captjraney View Post
    Buy a Delta 1/2" bench drill press. I've had mine for 30+ years. Unless you need a mill like a Bridgeport the Delta DP is all you'll probably ever need. You will need a couple of adjustable vices to go with it. And maybe an XY adjustable table vice.
    Ditto on the Delta, mine is still quite serviceable after 30 years of hard labor, although I do also have a lathe and small mill.
    "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading" --- Henny Youngman

I have a simple Craftsman table-top press that I got for $75.00 used. i drill metal and wood down to 1/64" with good accuracy. I wouldn't use it for heavy duty jobs but for medium to little stuff it works great. The chuck key is spring loaded so it pops right out when I'm thruogh tightening.

Distinguished Mouthpiece Designer/Maker/Forum Contributor 2012 Phil Barone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simso View Post
    If your going to go mill instead of drill, then dont be shy go all the way, get a turrett mill
    Well, I don't know, he might as well go all the way and get a $55,000 CNC mill. We keep raising the bar here. He's just doing repairs, he doesn't need a mill and just the cost to move a mill that size is probably three thousand bucks. Phil

Quote Originally Posted by shmuelyosef View Post
    Ditto on the Delta, mine is still quite serviceable after 30 years of hard labor, although I do also have a lathe and small mill.
    I doubt they make Delta's in the USA anymore, they're probably made in China now I'm sorry to say. And for the guys that know how I feel about China I could go on and on about that. They basically produce crap and are destroying the environment not to mention that they're going to rule the world in twenty years. Oops, there I go. Phil

China also makes great stuff, but the importers of Chinese suff usually ask for dirt cheap, so they can make a whopping profit %, so China obliges, making dirt cheap, with the "nasty" that that implies.

Don't blame China. Blame the importers/dealers, and the buyers for whom price is almost eerything.
    Contentment is not the fulfilment of what you want, but the realisation of how much you already have.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon (NZ) View Post
    China also makes great stuff, but the importers of Chinese suff usually ask for dirt cheap, so they can make a whopping profit %, so China obliges, making dirt cheap, with the "nasty" that that implies.

Don't blame China. Blame the importers/dealers, and the buyers for whom price is almost eerything.
    No, no sir. Everyone has a choice in life. Crap is crap and the Chinese are masters at making it. Phil

Yes, they bare masters at it. And they do it because the buyers choose to buy as cheap as possible.
    No buyers of crap = no makers of crap.

We have a high profile guy here in NZ who has a high award from government for his sedrvices to retailing. He should equally have an award for contributing more than any retailing individual, for filling our rubish tips.