Antigua Winds
AW Reeds
    Forum Contributor 2011
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Default www.easytree.org

About a month ago I mentioned this site to everyone. Just a reminder if you haven't checked it out. In the past couple of months I've downloaded some pretty amazing concerts off here. Live Brecker, Potter...... I downloaded a couple of Videos. One of the Chris Potter Quartet is amazing. I'm listening to a Eric Alexander gig right now that I just downloaded.I like it better than all of his CD's I've heard. This is the best thing I've seen for someone who loves live jazz music. It's like your at the concert. I'm running out of room on my computer though. Believe it or not I have about 90 gigabites of jazz on my computer right now. Check it out.

Forum Contributor 2011

By the way( to save you some time) what you need to download a torrent is a program called Bit Tornado. If you want to convert the torrent to an mp3 you can use dbpoweramp music converter. You lose alot of quality when you convert to an mp3 but most people can't handle all the memory a torrent takes. Both of these programs are free and easytree is free also. You have to register though. I've been doing it for awhile and never had any problems with spyware or viruses in case your worried about that.

I took Nefertiti's advice and checked out this website and there is some amazing stuff here. Live Coltrane, Miles, Cannonball along with the aforementioned artists.

I want to point out that none of the stuff on this particular website is commercially available and most of it is live recordings.

Do I like it ???????????? I just had to get another hard drive

Dropped in today and they are gone, gone, gone. Those pesky lawyers!

Forum Contributor 2011

Yeah, but not before I got my 100 gigabytes of music. I'm pretty much all set for the rest of my life. I'm just waiting for a 100 gigabyte ipod to come out and I'll be set.

My hard drive is wimpering right now. The fact that you have room for 100 gigs of music scares it.
    "I don't like work- no man does. But I like what's in the work- the chance to find yourself."
    -Joseph Conrad

Forum Contributor 2011

My original HD was 60 gigs. I then put in a second one that is 160 gigs. The computer I had before this had 1.6 gigs.

There's a load of other torrent sites out there. I don't know how many of them have this kind of music. Just do a google search for 'torrent' and you should get a result or 100,000. There are also a few other places to get music online, I use SoulSeek (www.slsknet.org), it's a bit like Kazaa, except easier to use (for me), and includes chat rooms. I generally stay away from actual CD's. and try and find live performances (got a really nice Chris Potter Trio one the other day). I will now shut my mouth for fear of incrimination.

If any of you are interested in the legalities involved, I suggest you check out Lawrence Lessig's site (http://www.lessig.org), he's a professor at Stanford, and considered by many to be the foremost authority on coptright law as it pertains to the internet. He also founded the Creative Commons License. He gives away one of his books for free in his site (which I'm currently reading), and it's very good.

One last thing, (and I wonder if it's going to be argued in easytree's demise) there IS a section of the US copyright law which states (basically) that you are allowed to share Low-Quality Reproductions freely, as long as no one pays you for it.

Best,
    Chris S
    Blog - LinkedIn - Digg - del.icio.us - GoogleShared - Twitter
    Chris S - SOTW Admin Emeritus

For those of you who were using the easytree site it has popped back up in a different location:

http://www.dimeadozen.org

If you were on it before it was shut down, you are still there but you will have a new password. They can e-mail it to you.