Antigua Winds
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Grenadilla recorder

Went to the Early Music Shop in Bradford and tried out lots of makes of soprano recorders. My soprano is a very old Maple I bought in 1981. I am playing recorders live in my new project. I had gone to get mine tuned by the resident recorder tech there who was trained at Moeck in Germany and I had to leave it. I ended up buying a really sweet grenadilla Moeck soprano..the intonation is better than mine with a much more focussed rich sound. I love it. I really like the Moeck recorders although I favour Kung Superio tenor and bass in pearwood. I've always felt the higher recorders sound better in the hard woods... I have pallasinder sopranino and rosewood alto but the lower recorders need for me the softer more spread sound you get in pearwood

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Grenadilla recorder

I have one too! Sadly, saxophones and recorders are not very compatible embouchure-wise, so I haven't played it in years.
    Soprano: Yanagisawa S901. Alto:Yamaha YAS-875EX. Tenor: Yamaha YTS-82z. Baritone: Yamaha YBS-62.
    Mouthpieces: Vandoren(SAT), Meyer (SAB), Phil-Tone(A), JodyJazz(TB), Yanagisawa(S).

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool..a grenadilla Moeck? I don't play recorder very often to be honest but the embouchure is so simple ..I play more whistle. I really like the recorder though ...it's a much maligned instrument but played well it's really beautiful. I promise myself to play more but I never do. With most of my instruments whether sax, flute, recorder, whistle or clarinet I find I only really get into it if I have a live or recording session. Then I hammer it. Clarinet is easily for me the hardest in this respect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SveinJo View Post
    I have one too! Sadly, saxophones and recorders are not very compatible embouchure-wise, so I haven't played it in years.
    I play recorder , flute sax and clarinet and the recorder actually helps my sax playing