Antigua Winds
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Grenadilla recorder

Went to the Early Music Shop in Bradford and tried out lots of makes of soprano recorders. My soprano is a very old Maple I bought in 1981. I am playing recorders live in my new project. I had gone to get mine tuned by the resident recorder tech there who was trained at Moeck in Germany and I had to leave it. I ended up buying a really sweet grenadilla Moeck soprano..the intonation is better than mine with a much more focussed rich sound. I love it. I really like the Moeck recorders although I favour Kung Superio tenor and bass in pearwood. I've always felt the higher recorders sound better in the hard woods... I have pallasinder sopranino and rosewood alto but the lower recorders need for me the softer more spread sound you get in pearwood

Default Re: Grenadilla recorder

I have one too! Sadly, saxophones and recorders are not very compatible embouchure-wise, so I haven't played it in years.
    Soprano: Yanagisawa S901. Alto:Yamaha YAS-875EX. Tenor: Yamaha YTS-82z. Baritone: Yamaha YBS-62.
    Mouthpieces: Vandoren(SAT), Meyer (SAB), Phil-Tone(A), JodyJazz(TB), Yanagisawa(S).

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Cool..a grenadilla Moeck? I don't play recorder very often to be honest but the embouchure is so simple ..I play more whistle. I really like the recorder though ...it's a much maligned instrument but played well it's really beautiful. I promise myself to play more but I never do. With most of my instruments whether sax, flute, recorder, whistle or clarinet I find I only really get into it if I have a live or recording session. Then I hammer it. Clarinet is easily for me the hardest in this respect.

Quote Originally Posted by SveinJo View Post
    I have one too! Sadly, saxophones and recorders are not very compatible embouchure-wise, so I haven't played it in years.
    I play recorder , flute sax and clarinet and the recorder actually helps my sax playing