Sax on the Web Forum banner

Zephyr LH pinky table changes

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  B Flat 
#1 ·
I have a fairly new to me Zephyr tenor 28x,xxx serial

Love the tone and the intonation is decent. The LH pinky table is a bit of a stretch for my quite short pinky finger and way different from my Shadow alto

having to switch back and forth is not as comfy as I like.

Does anyone have any suggestions/experience for a LH pinky table that is modern and is a fairly straightforward conversion?

The zeph sound I get with a 10m merlot is like Belgian dark unsweetened chocolate. Rich but edgy.

#9 ·
I am rather late on this thread, but had a lot of trouble with note to note transitions on my Zephyr '41. The rollers had to be climbed up and over to go anywhere. So I shaped and epoxied mother of pearl about 1 millimeter thick to the keys, and now the table works as smooth as any vintage - I like the older table better than the Selmer standard. The c# is still too hard on this Zephyr, so if it gives you trouble check out the Martin line. The Handcraft Imperials (not the Imperials from the 60s) and the Handcraft Committees have great tone and nice LH pinky tables. Also the bueschers have great tone and a table that is tilted higher than anyone else - it might suit your hands better.

#11 ·
The c# is still too hard on this Zephyr, so if it gives you trouble check out the Martin line. The Handcraft Imperials (not the Imperials from the 60s) and the Handcraft Committees have great tone and nice LH pinky tables.
For what it's worth (not much!), I recently got a good deal on a '50s Martin Indiana tenor, plays very nice - except the C# is absurdly stiff! I guess they're all about the same design, just depends on the spring. At least the table puts B on the side, not in the middle, which it looks to me like Martin started doing that in the mid 40s.

#10 ·
Thanks Rockandroll and Teororo

My problem has much gone away. I switched to playing flat finger and it is sooooo much easier. Hands are pretty strong so don't have any pinky problems now.

#13 ·
I learnt by myself as a kid, so I didn't have enough strength, and without a teacher I went flat fingers all the time, I thought it's not supposed to be the correct way, but if it works, I guess..

#14 ·
My coach told me that flat finger is a technically accepted method although she said that the left hand should be on the first digit pad or one lose some dexterity. For me works. Ext with all but pinky on second pad........I am. It sure what I am supposed to be missing tho

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.