Sax on the Web Forum banner

Great Sax Mic

19K views 73 replies 28 participants last post by  SaxPunter 
#1 ·
The topic of mics show up here allot with reactions to cost of better mics.
I thought I'd give a heads up on a mic I thought would be a great deal for any sax player, but especially the young guys that might not have a big budget.

This week I had two nights at a jazz club that is the size(as most) that needs a mic. This is the size club where I don't use a wireless and my usual desire is a EV RE20 or MD 441 or 421. I did not have a mic brought to the club but the engineer had a EV ND468 that he said he had been using them in studio and live with great results for horn players.

Well he was right! I could easily hear my front sound in the club and this mic is rich and similar to a RE20. I asked him if it was some new equivalent and was told it was not, just another model but at a price around $130.

Back home I was interested enough to look it up on line and did find very good reviews on it, so if your needing a mic or something better than what you are currently using check it out.

JR

#8 ·
Lamplight ...I find my EV is a LOT more responsive than the Shures ... I have had absolutely no feedback coming from my mic placement as I did with my Shure ... I also feel I have more flexibility with placement ...meaning I don't have to be as on top of the mic which is great for Sop ... I prefer backing off any mic for sop work ...

#9 ·
The mics I mentioned (EV RE20 or MD 441 or 421) are much, much better than a 58 or 57. They are quite a bit more expensive also. The reason for my thread is that EV ND468 is such a great sounding horn mic...and I used it on tenor, alto, soprano and flute, to answer another...and that it is only around $130.

I've ordered two of them just to have with our sound trunks if needed. I still prefer a RE20 for a mic and have been using at larger venues a AMT Wi5II.

#12 ·
As a dynamic with a supercardioid and a very large voice coil it does a great job for horns. And although I'm no vocalist by any means (more like a Chet Baker) I did sing through it on a couple tunes I do. If you're looking for a mic, I think you would be pleased with the 468.

#11 ·
I use a SD Systems LCM 89 for years now and I very satisfied with it.
It's was made in the 90s in the Netherlands and after a break of some years now it is availabel again.
Pat

#13 ·
I've used the SD setup a few years ago also and it was pretty good for a wireless (use a AMT or Samson now days) but nothing can beat a really good mic. Last night I chose a RE20 over the AMT because I knew the audience was a real 'listening audience', the type of room you'd love to be using a Royer or a Coles!

#18 ·
The 468 excels on nearly everything i've tried. Guitar cabs, rock male voice, trumpet, trombone, toms - as mentioned saxophones.

Thought i'd add...I don't know what the difference would be, but the predecessor to the 468 is the 408. There was also a 308 which had a squared off mic grill. I was told by an EV dealer that EV frequently changed model numbers to create some buzz around their products. Can't confirm or deny.
However, I've owned/used all three at one point or another and all three did a good job on alto and tenor sax. Honestly didn't hear a difference between the 408 and 468. If you can wait for an ebay auction, a 408 can be had for around $100 - probably less.

#19 ·
Thanks for the recommend, RandyJ. Two are now on their way to NYC.

#20 ·
Oh man ..now the secret is out ...lol ....good luck with them guys ..I sincerely do like mine a lot ... I also have a number of the mic stand adapters since these are a lot thinner and I was constantly misplacing them ...now I have one at each of my bands PA systems plus my own mic stand ... still have the original ... EV sent me one when I lost my forst one (found it a few months later) and I also have a rubber one which works a lot easier ..

#22 ·
These looked huge in Amazon's picture. Now that I have it, I was wondering if I could attach it to a bell clamp.

#26 ·
I too hate the SM57's. They sound too tinny and harsh for horns. Sound crews think they're gospel for horns though but I always ask for a sm58 or beta version if I don't have my own horn. They sound better and is a decent all around mic and everybody has one. IMO the sm57 suit percussion instruments best.

#29 ·
Sure it will.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.