P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: RPC Alto Awesomeness

Default RPC Alto Awesomeness

Hi guys,

So I just pulled out an RPC that I've had for a while. Nice rollover baffle and a .95 tip. I think its making me switch back to hard rubber. Huge Phil Woods meets Kenny Garret type tone but can easily do a funk gig no problem. You can even get a Sanborn vibe out of it. For anyone who is looking for a Meyer sound but likes to play on a bigger tip, this is the stuff.

Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician Grumps's Avatar

Default Re: RPC Alto Awesomeness

I've played a 90 rollover on alto for some time now. I had a vintage Meyer, but needed something more open and didn't want to destroy its value. I went to an SR Tech L85, and still wanting that Meyer vibe with something more open eventually gravitated to my RPC.

Agreed. I think it out-Meyers a Meyer. I used to play a Lamberson but the rubber on those are way too soft- had issues with the table. RPC is more durable and its not impossible to get a backup.

Well, if I wanted to play around a .070" opening, I would have stuck with a vintage Meyer, no doubt. It's rare though, when mass marketers can get the larger tip openings right. That's Ron's forte.

RPC's Rollover are really AWESOME on alto IMHO. For me one of the best if you don't care about 90's tip openings.
    Big tone, very powerful, they can whisper as well; beautiful full, big, round, bodied tone. Lovely, nice, outstanding, impressive ..................... it is just Ilike them ;-).

I have a GOOD bunch of alto mpcs in that vibe: good Meyers, M. Fry, Mouthpiececafé, FMaj7, F. Gregory, V16 (several specs.) ............................ I love my RPC 90R.

Just my two cents.
    Alto: Selmer S-III S/S, Toneking Special: Vand. A27, RPC 90R, Cheong "Custom Made".
    Tenor: 10M RTH, SBA, Ref. 54: Vand. T20, Freddie Gregory M-II/IV 7**.
    Sop: Selmer S-III, Yani SC900u: Vand. S25, RPC. Bari: Ybs 61: Vand. B35/B75.

Those 90R's are great. I tried a couple recently. His 80r is actually pretty awesome too if you want a more traditional tip opening.
    Tenor: Selmer SIII - Phil-Tone Eclipse/RPC .110B Alto: Mark VI - Meyer 7M
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/davefstrong/videos Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/davefstrong

Discombobulated SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by StrongD View Post
    Those 90R's are great. I tried a couple recently. His 80r is actually pretty awesome too if you want a more traditional tip opening.
    It's the same mouthpiece except in a slightly more moderate tip opening, right? Why wouldn't it play the same?

I've played several alto RPC rollovers. I'm surprised to hear them compared to a Meyer. To me, they have their own distinctive sound, and don't remind me of any Meyer I've played, or any other model alto mouthpiece either.

Quote Originally Posted by Rackety Sax View Post
    It's the same mouthpiece except in a slightly more moderate tip opening, right? Why wouldn't it play the same?

I've played several alto RPC rollovers. I'm surprised to hear them compared to a Meyer. To me, they have their own distinctive sound, and don't remind me of any Meyer I've played, or any other model alto mouthpiece either.
    From what Ron told me, it's a different design that suits the tip opening better. I can get a "meyerish" sound on it, but it does have it's own unique flavor.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Tenor: Selmer SIII - Phil-Tone Eclipse/RPC .110B Alto: Mark VI - Meyer 7M
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/davefstrong/videos Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/davefstrong

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by StrongD View Post
    From what Ron told me, it's a different design that suits the tip opening better. ...
    That's news to me. I never considered that a maker would do that. Maybe they all do it and just haven't bothered to tell us - or maybe I wasn't listening.

I've moved from an 80B to an 85B (not a roll-over of course) but I'm wondering if the alto RPCs just keep getting better with larger tip openings? Thinking about a 95B to see if it is still controllable.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsch View Post
    ... I'm wondering if the alto RPCs just keep getting better with larger tip openings?
    That's been my experience, so long as you're predisposed to play the larger tip openings.

Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by tomsch View Post
    I've moved from an 80B to an 85B (not a roll-over of course) but I'm wondering if the alto RPCs just keep getting better with larger tip openings? Thinking about a 95B to see if it is still controllable.
    I had bought an alto rollover in an 80 tip secondhand several years ago that seemed to be kind of edgy in relation to the rollover 90 (+) tip that I first tried that sounded great but was too open for me. Later I bought a couple of 80 tip rollovers directly from Ron that had the same smooth sound as the 90 in the more moderate tip. Based on StrongD's post above, I wonder if Ron had some kind of design breakthrough on the smaller tips.