P Mauriat
Antigua Winds

Thread: Keilwerth made Bundy Special Tenor Sax, What's It Worth?

Default Keilwerth made Bundy Special Tenor Sax, What's It Worth?

I bought a very clean Bundy Special a few years ago at a music store that had it listed as a student Bundy saxophone. I knew immediately that it was a Keilwerth stencil horn so having my mouthpiece with me I gave it a blow. Huge, thick tone is what I heard and I bought it for about $450.00. What are these saxes worth?, soon after I bought the tenor I bought a Couf Superba I alto which I like even more because of the improved key mechanism. I was thinking of selling this Bundy to fund a Couf tenor or used SX 90. One question, are the rolled tone holes soldered rings on the old Keilwerth also? Anyway, I really like the big tone of this tenor. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Distinguished SOTW Member rleitch's Avatar

Default Re: Keilwerth made Bundy Special Tenor Sax, What's It Worth?

Quote Originally Posted by vbluesman View Post
    I bought a very clean Bundy Special a few years ago at a music store that had it listed as a student Bundy saxophone. I knew immediately that it was a Keilwerth stencil horn so having my mouthpiece with me I gave it a blow. Huge, thick tone is what I heard and I bought it for about $450.00. What are these saxes worth?, soon after I bought the tenor I bought a Couf Superba I alto which I like even more because of the improved key mechanism. I was thinking of selling this Bundy to fund a Couf tenor or used SX 90. One question, are the rolled tone holes soldered rings on the old Keilwerth also? Anyway, I really like the big tone of this tenor. Thanks in advance for any responses.
    I had one of these! Great sax, but I decided to stick with the Martin. The tone was so spread with the mps I use!

From what I have seen (unfortunately) they sell for a lot less than they are worth, quality wise. You should be able to get a little more than you paid, but not a huge amount. I think I sold mine for something like $800-900, but that was with a fresh overhaul.

Good luck!
    Martin "Dick Stabile" Tenor: Barone Jazz 7*/GW7

"The spiritual life is built upon a commitment to truth telling and truth living. As master jazz musicians, [John Coltrane and Miles Davis] presented their spirituality within the reality of cool." --Farah Jasmine Griffen and Salim Washington

Hi, How about posting a picture or two of your Bundy Special?

I have a 1940 Keilwerth tone king alto and the rolled tone holes on it look just like Conns and are not a soldered rim. Micro-tuner neck loos a lot like Conns. I wonder who copied who?

Willy O

I'm wondering about the rolled tone holes, are the soldered rims something they started in the nineties? I don't have the sax with me right now, it's on a short term loan to a friend but there are plenty of photos of these around. It looks like an old Tone King with the nickel keys, rods, key cups and guards. I have a couple of Super 20 tenors that are my main horns but that Bundy Special is a real nice change of pace alternative. I saw on eBay that Wichita Horn was asking $1900.00 for one with a new overhaul which got me to thinking about the Specials realistic value.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

Old JK's have true rolled holes, not soldered on. Rleitch is correct, top dollar would be $800-900 on a good week; but on a normal week maybe $750.

Even in the fake dubya bubble days, a Bundy Special Tenor would not fetch more than $1000 -1100.

Superba I is the exact same body in all respects, and the keywork is 75% identical. You are correct, it does employ what people refer to as a more 'modern' pinky table. I sometimes muse about taking New Kings and just having my tech alter the pinky table mechanisms a bit....
    Go for the Old-Skool, homies. www.2ndending.com

Forum Contributor 2014 patmiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayePDX View Post
    I sometimes muse about taking New Kings and just having my tech alter the pinky table mechanisms a bit....
    Would you stop there with key mods to New Kings? While I agree about the pinky table (you need a map to find B after years of playing more modern saxes), the Bis key touch is also misplaced in my opinion. PLUS, the edge of the ridiculously small pearl button that passes for a left hand thumb rest cuts painfully into the pad of my thumb unless I alter my stance of 45+ years to have the bell beside me. Don't get me wrong, I think my 1953 silver plated New King with lucite guards is just about the coolest looking and monster playing saxophone I've ever owned, but the ergos are a challenge which I think deserve a trip to the tech and a few little mods.
    Pleasing everyone is impossible; pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

One last question about the Bundy Special. Was it marketed as a student model by Selmer? It has nickel keys and rods and a somewhat simplified mechanism. It really has a huge, hulking sound to it.... Thanks for any responses.

Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012

I got a nice Bundy Special tenor on ebay a couple of years ago for $500,
    good condition with really good pads.

So, resell is about what you paid for it.

It has real rolled tone holes, not the soldered on tone hole rings/sleeves.
    My wife, whose ears I trust, said that my sound is much fuller, richer, more powerful and resonant on this set up.
    ... but really folks... my wife said, " It sounds like a saxophone ".