P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Maceo Parker Documentary

  1. #1

    Default Maceo Parker Documentary

    The Baddest, The Funkiest enjoy.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsRmL9mgxCU

  2. #2
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    littlewailer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    4,525

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    YESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I remember looking for this years ago but couldn't find a copy.

    Thanks for finding it.
    (\__/) Amati ATS-61 Custom Unlacquered key work, Phil Barone Neck
    (0.o ) CE Winds Legend I. FL Ultimate lig, Vandoren Blue Box 2.5
    (> < ) www.soundclick.com/seanwinterJAZZ All of my posts should be prefaced by "IMHO"

  3. #3

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Quote Originally Posted by littlewailer View Post
    YESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I remember looking for this years ago but couldn't find a copy.

    Thanks for finding it.
    ......This is a treasure brother.....

  4. #4
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2012
    saxphil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    ON,Canada
    Posts
    5,730

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Love Maceo, playin' on his plastic Ebolin all those years.
    My wife, whose ears I trust, said that my sound is much fuller, richer, more powerful and resonant on this set up.
    ... but really folks... my wife said, " It sounds like a saxophone ".

  5. #5
    Distinguished SOTW Member Honeyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    2,105

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    And there's Pee Wee Ellis on tenor blowing on a Rico Royal Metallite.
    11th Commandment: Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's axe.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Nice find. Thanks for posting.
    macsax.com
    mingofishtrap.com - I don't play with 'em anymore but they still kick butt. Check them out.

  7. #7
    Distinguished SOTW Member. Wilbur Weltklang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Melbourne Victoria
    Posts
    1,738

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Woah! Memories of the '94 Melbourne Film Festival. My flat-mate thought this would be on DVD within weeks and went to a Beach Boys doco instead.
    What a fool!
    When's this out on Blu-ray?
    cheers, Mark.

  8. #8
    Distinguished SOTW Member hallkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Summerside PEI Canada
    Posts
    1,676

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Great whenever I watch Maceo it always starts me looking for a Alto...........oh no......stop.......
    " Healthy people dont need a doctor-sick people do "

  9. #9

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Quote Originally Posted by Honeyboy View Post
    And there's Pee Wee Ellis on tenor blowing on a Rico Royal Metallite.
    LOL, look close-up, he`s almost chomped through it .
    2694** 10M.. ELECTRONICA and most recent stuff http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...andID=1241900. Ballads and SOTW https://soundcloud.com/clive-macdougall 80`s recordings Blue On Shock archive.https://soundcloud.com/blue-on-shock-archive Old myspace http://www.myspace.com/cliveymacdougall

  10. #10

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Yes! Thank you thank you thank you

  11. #11

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Quote Originally Posted by hallkat View Post
    Great whenever I watch Maceo it always starts me looking for a Alto...........oh no......stop.......

    ...lol...That's funny. Every time I hear this cat I'm refreshed in my belief of groove.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Quote Originally Posted by zahiir View Post
    ...lol...That's funny. Every time I hear this cat I'm refreshed in my belief of groove.
    I 100% agree but I have to be honest and suggest that I don`t think we`ll ever see this kind of music reach this level of commercial viability,originality or popularity again.Which is all very wrong.I`m not talking about tribute acts and Function bands here.

    I was lurking over a thread talking about how Chinese imported Saxs have destroyed the horn trade. but I see this Video and compare it to the Route that many ambitious up and comers are walking and I see the whole thing laid out in front of me.
    Real Music has become a Niche I was going to say Niche Market, but that suggests a degree of profitability, No .Music like this and most of the type that involves playing instruments in real time whether that be to an audience or in a studio is a now Niche hobby sustained mainly by the perponants and Musical Instrument distributors and manufacturers.

    I can think of one specific member here that produces music at this level of a similar nature and would imagine that their sales of recordings would be either low thous perhaps even high Hundreds. How are they going to get out and promote a product like that without risking full-Blown bankruptcy? but if they dress up as the Blues Brothers they might just be able to pay the PA ,lights and Fuel bill.
    2694** 10M.. ELECTRONICA and most recent stuff http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...andID=1241900. Ballads and SOTW https://soundcloud.com/clive-macdougall 80`s recordings Blue On Shock archive.https://soundcloud.com/blue-on-shock-archive Old myspace http://www.myspace.com/cliveymacdougall

  13. #13
    Saxeggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Bryn Mawr, PA
    Posts
    40

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Pee Wee Ellis may not be as well known as Maceo but what a player for this genre! Check out- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5GMHzPeEyA. That's him soloing in Van Morrison's Tupelo Honey.

  14. #14
    Distinguished SOTW Member hallkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Summerside PEI Canada
    Posts
    1,676

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Wow very nice thanks for that....maybe I can stop looking for that alto now...lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxeggs View Post
    Pee Wee Ellis may not be as well known as Maceo but what a player for this genre! Check out- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5GMHzPeEyA. That's him soloing in Van Morrison's Tupelo Honey.
    " Healthy people dont need a doctor-sick people do "

  15. #15
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    littlewailer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    4,525

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Quote Originally Posted by Saxeggs View Post
    Pee Wee Ellis may not be as well known as Maceo but what a player for this genre! Check out- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5GMHzPeEyA. That's him soloing in Van Morrison's Tupelo Honey.
    I've always loved that clip.

    hallkat - but doesn't that Maceo Doc want you to keep looking for it?
    (\__/) Amati ATS-61 Custom Unlacquered key work, Phil Barone Neck
    (0.o ) CE Winds Legend I. FL Ultimate lig, Vandoren Blue Box 2.5
    (> < ) www.soundclick.com/seanwinterJAZZ All of my posts should be prefaced by "IMHO"

  16. #16
    Distinguished SOTW Member
    Forum Contributor 2013
    littlewailer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    4,525

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Quote Originally Posted by cliveyx View Post
    I 100% agree but I have to be honest and suggest that I don`t think we`ll ever see this kind of music reach this level of commercial viability,originality or popularity again.Which is all very wrong.I`m not talking about tribute acts and Function bands here.

    I was lurking over a thread talking about how Chinese imported Saxs have destroyed the horn trade. but I see this Video and compare it to the Route that many ambitious up and comers are walking and I see the whole thing laid out in front of me.
    Real Music has become a Niche I was going to say Niche Market, but that suggests a degree of profitability, No .Music like this and most of the type that involves playing instruments in real time whether that be to an audience or in a studio is a now Niche hobby sustained mainly by the perponants and Musical Instrument distributors and manufacturers.

    I can think of one specific member here that produces music at this level of a similar nature and would imagine that their sales of recordings would be either low thous perhaps even high Hundreds. How are they going to get out and promote a product like that without risking full-Blown bankruptcy? but if they dress up as the Blues Brothers they might just be able to pay the PA ,lights and Fuel bill.
    You gotta do the side man thing for a long time before you get to play the music you want to.

    I always wish I was born a lot longer before I was....
    (\__/) Amati ATS-61 Custom Unlacquered key work, Phil Barone Neck
    (0.o ) CE Winds Legend I. FL Ultimate lig, Vandoren Blue Box 2.5
    (> < ) www.soundclick.com/seanwinterJAZZ All of my posts should be prefaced by "IMHO"

  17. #17

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Thats the common thing bout playing horns " We all wish we were born earlier" Where I am geographically theres nothing anymore. it`s heart-breaking.
    2694** 10M.. ELECTRONICA and most recent stuff http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...andID=1241900. Ballads and SOTW https://soundcloud.com/clive-macdougall 80`s recordings Blue On Shock archive.https://soundcloud.com/blue-on-shock-archive Old myspace http://www.myspace.com/cliveymacdougall

  18. #18

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Quote Originally Posted by cliveyx View Post
    I 100% agree but I have to be honest and suggest that I don`t think we`ll ever see this kind of music reach this level of commercial viability,originality or popularity again.Which is all very wrong.I`m not talking about tribute acts and Function bands here.

    I was lurking over a thread talking about how Chinese imported Saxs have destroyed the horn trade. but I see this Video and compare it to the Route that many ambitious up and comers are walking and I see the whole thing laid out in front of me.
    Real Music has become a Niche I was going to say Niche Market, but that suggests a degree of profitability, No .Music like this and most of the type that involves playing instruments in real time whether that be to an audience or in a studio is a now Niche hobby sustained mainly by the perponants and Musical Instrument distributors and manufacturers.

    I can think of one specific member here that produces music at this level of a similar nature and would imagine that their sales of recordings would be either low thous perhaps even high Hundreds. How are they going to get out and promote a product like that without risking full-Blown bankruptcy? but if they dress up as the Blues Brothers they might just be able to pay the PA ,lights and Fuel bill.
    You're right it will be something else that may or may not draw influences from its predecessor, but I am a half full guy and would love to believe that that "new groove" will spark an interest and continuation of live music.

  19. #19
    Distinguished SOTW Member hallkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Summerside PEI Canada
    Posts
    1,676

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Quote Originally Posted by littlewailer View Post
    I've always loved that clip.

    hallkat - but doesn't that Maceo Doc want you to keep looking for it?
    Yeh Sean I had mentioned a few threads up that now I will be looking for a alto again...every time I listen to Maceo it happens to me.....must stay grounded...LOL
    " Healthy people dont need a doctor-sick people do "

  20. #20

    Default Re: Maceo Parker Documentary

    Quote Originally Posted by cliveyx View Post
    I 100% agree but I have to be honest and suggest that I don`t think we`ll ever see this kind of music reach this level of commercial viability,originality or popularity again.Which is all very wrong.I`m not talking about tribute acts and Function bands here.

    I was lurking over a thread talking about how Chinese imported Saxs have destroyed the horn trade. but I see this Video and compare it to the Route that many ambitious up and comers are walking and I see the whole thing laid out in front of me.
    Real Music has become a Niche I was going to say Niche Market, but that suggests a degree of profitability, No .Music like this and most of the type that involves playing instruments in real time whether that be to an audience or in a studio is a now Niche hobby sustained mainly by the perponants and Musical Instrument distributors and manufacturers.

    I can think of one specific member here that produces music at this level of a similar nature and would imagine that their sales of recordings would be either low thous perhaps even high Hundreds. How are they going to get out and promote a product like that without risking full-Blown bankruptcy? but if they dress up as the Blues Brothers they might just be able to pay the PA ,lights and Fuel bill.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1cskIan5Jw

    Hoping this restores your faith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •