P Mauriat
Antigua Winds
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Who has the all-time best Tenor Tone?

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Content Expert
    Forum Contributor 2014

Default Re: Who has the all-time best Tenor Tone?

Arnett Cobb

His sound is full, lush, beautiful sub-tone, loads of power, full in the higher register, with a very nice edge, wonderfull high G.
    Check out this YouTube video if you want to know why I mentioned him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka4qujkzcSA

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1952) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by mrpeebee View Post
    Arnett Cobb

His sound is full, lush, beautiful sub-tone, loads of power, full in the higher register, with a very nice edge, wonderfull high G.
    Check out this YouTube video if you want to know why I mentioned him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ka4qujkzcSA
    Arnett was great, and definitely in my Top 10 for Tone, along with fellow Texas T-Man Booker Ervin. And that's a priceless vid though it would be cool to see something with him from the 40s or 50s.

Getting back to Wardell, though there is at least one extant video of him from the 1950s Basie Band, this is the clip that to me really displays his power on the tenor. Like someone in the comments said...pure but strong, and his and his alone:

I'm partial to Dexter. A fan of Sonny Rollins too.

Distinguished SOTW Member/ Content Expert
    Forum Contributor 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Tenor Man View Post
    Arnett was great, and definitely in my Top 10 for Tone, along with fellow Texas T-Man Booker Ervin. And that's a priceless vid though it would be cool to see something with him from the 40s or 50s.

Getting back to Wardell, though there is at least one extant video of him from the 1950s Basie Band, this is the clip that to me really displays his power on the tenor (a King Super 20 in this case). Like someone in the comments said...pure but strong, and his and his alone:
    Arnett played on this video of 1979 a Florida Otto Link, I think with a tip of around 9 or 9*. In the 40's he used an Otto Link Tone Master (don't know the tip, but smaller then the Florida Link). Still his sound of the fourties is even fuller and darker, I guess because of the other Link and maybe also because of the other recording technology. I did never see a video of that area, but check his recordings with Lionel Hampton of that period (1942-47).

Nice video of Wardell also. He's a great player and died much too young, but sound wise I like Dexter (his battle partner in the fourties) more. I think Wardell played a high baffle Dukoff with a small tip, which makes him in my ears a bit sharp and thin in the higher register. But still a fantastic player ofcourse, no doubt about that.

T : Selmer SBA serial 50xxx (1952) - Otto Link Florida no USA 10* - La Voz medium
    A : Klingsor serial 016xx (early 60's) - Otto Link STM 9* - Rico Royal 2.5
    SoundClick | YouTube | SOTW Blues (Round 8) | Mouthpiece Pictures

SOTW Columnist
    Distinguished SOTW Member

Quote Originally Posted by afrothunder View Post

Coltrane
    Archie Shepp
    Pharoah Sanders
    Albert Ayler
    While I would say all the great players had at least a very good tone, including the ones quoted above, for 'all-time best tenor tone,' none of them would be anywhere near the top of my list, in terms of tone alone. I really dig Pharoah Sanders and have seen him live many times over the years, but not so much for his tone; rather for his overall sound and approach.

If I had to name just one (and I really can't do that!) for tone quality, it would be Dexter Gordon. Or Gene Ammons. I know, that's two.

Distinguished SOTW Member tinpalaceroach's Avatar
    Deep Dark Thoughts, Dangerous Bronx, NY and now Boreing Florida!

I think they are all the best tenor tone individually since really no two are alike and i already mentioned quite a few.
    I am still diggin' John Gilmore and one of his inspirations was Wardell Gray so you see every great tenor player does influence the next generation.
    Two more Gary Windo, Antoine Roney, and whats his name from the N.O.L.A. Astral project who jammed with Tim Price and played with Carla Bley bands who also demo'd a Steve Goodson $15,000 tenor and kills everytime he touches that damn horn... that guy!

Dexter

Distinguished SOTW Member SaxPlayer1004's Avatar

all-time best tenor tone is wayy too subjective... All mentioned are phenomenal. If you're looking for a damn good tenor sound out of an amateur, ask Martysax if he'll post a recording or two. It's downright incredible. rock and roll esque, not smooth jazzy

Pros, Dexter, Rollins, and the main man, the BIG man, the he man beast, CLAAAAAARENCE CLEMONS!

To me it's very style dependent as I like a lot of sax sounds: Stan "The Man" Taylor had a great sound for his style of playing. I also like Pete Christlieb (like his tasteful solo on Unforgettable)
    Also Lucky Thompson had a great sound but hard to find a high quality recording that really captures it. I could go on and on. But Dex, Stanley Mr. T and Arnett are way up there for me as for many others as mentioned above. Also like Getz's sound mostly for his ballad and bosa playing.

Mickey Fields

Charlie Ventura, Jimmy Giuffre ( He wrote 4 Brothers for the Woody Herman Herd), Christlieb, Lew Tabackin, Coleman, Dexter, Mobley and on and on. How to pick just one. I have an old Charlie Ventura album on which he plays soprano, alto, tenor, baritone and bass and swings hard on all of them. Great big tenor sound. Its on a 33 1/3 vinyl disc - anybody remember those?

Its equally hard to pick least favorite - for me, the reedy Mr.Getz, then the I don't know what sound is next, Coltrane.

Chris Potter
    "Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself." •Miles Davis
    “Always be a first rate version of yourself instead of a second rate version of somebody else.” •Judy Garland

www.stevenbollman.com

Distinguished SOTW Member Jazz House's Avatar

Jerry bergozi, sonny Rollins, Rex, bob mintzer, Ernie watts
    Soprano: Jean Baptiste Deluxe Curved Soprano, Bari Gold #8,#3 Alexander Superial reeds
    Tenor: Conn 10M Naked Lady, Sakshama Shorty 7*, #3S RJS reeds

Index of Common Questions!!!

Distinguished SOTW Member piwikiwi's Avatar

I don't really care about the all time best but my favorites are Zoot Sims, Scott Hamilton, Sonny Rollins, Chu Berry, Gene Ammons & Dexter Gordon

Behind the Tenor, right in front of the Laptop and between the Headphones

hank mobley

Arnett played on this video of 1979 a Florida Otto Link, I think with a tip of around 9 or 9*. In the 40's he used an Otto Link Tone Master (don't know the tip, but smaller then the Florida Link). Still his sound of the fourties is even fuller and darker, I guess because of the other Link and maybe also because of the other recording technology. I did never see a video of that area, but check his recordings with Lionel Hampton of that period (1942-47).

Nice video of Wardell also. He's a great player and died much too young, but sound wise I like Dexter (his battle partner in the fourties) more. I think Wardell played a high baffle Dukoff with a small tip, which makes him in my ears a bit sharp and thin in the higher register. But still a fantastic player ofcourse, no doubt about that.
    Can you cite some instances in tunes in which Wardell plays sharp? In other words, can you show it's a pattern rather than just an isolated incident or two? Because I'm not hearing it.

Also, if we remove tone from the equation, it's not really fair IMO to compare Wardell to Arnett because the former is a true Jazz giant who was an important and necessary link in the Bebop time line and influenced so many who came after him.

Arnett is a great player who had a lot of influence to be sure, but I tend to think of him more as yet another great R&B/soul jazz player in the Illinois Jacquet/Jimmy Forrest vein who, like those two greats, played more simplistic R&B-laced jazz that was less hardcore than the Jazz that Wardell and his buddy Hampton Hawes were laying down--and with a regular R&B growl in his tone--kind of like Earl Bostic on the alto.

But again, when you're talking tone only and not jazz history, Arnett was really one of the special ones.

Forum Contributor 2011

I think Wardell played a high baffle Dukoff with a small tip, which makes him in my ears a bit sharp and thin in the higher register. But still a fantastic player ofcourse, no doubt about that.
    I'm pretty sure Wardell never played a Dukoff. Pictures show him playing both master link and tone master otto links and also metal berg larsen.

Quote Originally Posted by Flâneur View Post
    Chris Potter
    Yeah, I'll second the Chris Potter thing! But I like his voicing, rhythm and solos better than just his lone tone.

Quote Originally Posted by saxjd View Post
    I have always liked Jay Corre's sound.
    Great tenor sound!

Sound wise my favorites are Stan Getz, and Dexter Gordan. I especially like Getz. The colors he could get out of his horn were phenomenal.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 LastLast